Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cubsin2100

Can accutane cause PERMANENT depression?

Im going to keep this post short and sweet.

I am depressed, and have been for about 2-3 years. I am mainly depressed about my face, as far as I know. I like to think if my face cleared, I'd be as fit and happy as a fiddle.

I did on course of accutane about 2 years ago... it did not clear up my face, but I was on a very low dose, 20mg for 130 pounds, 6 months. I do not know if accutane caused my depression, or whether I was just sad it didn't clear my face.

My depression/ worry is crippling. When I go to class, I don't talk to people. I don't look at people. I am fixated about my face non-stop, wanting the acne to go away. Thus, I am in a precarious situation.

I am debating two routes, trying accutane one more time, or going on antidepressants. I am concerned about both paths. I want to to try accutane again, because I think it may help this time, at a higher dose. I also feel like I will have trouble getting over the worry about my face unless I know that I have fully exhausted all options (ie, accutane in a more controlled manner than last time, for a variety of reasons, I don't think it was handled right).

Concerns about going on accutane

Permanent depression mainly (and dry eyes, but I can live with that). I don't know if the first course caused my depression, or it is just a result of my nasty face. This brings up my main question: Has anyone heard of/ experienced permanent depression/ mental changes from tane? I know it says that accutane can cause depression, but does this go after treatment, or have a permanent change?

Concerns about no accutane/ antidepressants

If I don't do tane again, and do antidepressants, I have a litany of concerns too. I am scared of putting antidepressants in my body. I don't want to permanently be changed. I also am scared, because then I'm still stuck with acne. I'm sure i'd feel better, but come on, looking like a pizza face, it is difficult to feel 100%. I am also worried the acne will stick with me a long time if I dont do tane. Im 20 now... my bro is 24, his acne has never been as bad as mine, but he still has it at the same level as he always has. I am also concerned that if I go on antidepressants, they will never let me even think about accutane again.

I'm scared... my life is in turmoil right now. Im pretty much failing all my courses... I need to resolve this... please help :cry:

IMHO you need to take care of your depression first. Please don't worry about antidepressants, I've been on them since I was 17 and it's the best thing I did (may not have been alive now otherwise). Even with my history, my derm was still fairly happy to prescribe accutane.

Antidepressants aren't a miracle cure, they are only a band-aid to get you through, and can take months to start working. I would very strongly recommend seeing a counsellor/therapist. You have massive issues to deal with re. self-esteem and your acne. If you get the right help, you might not even need to resort to meds.

Can't make recommendations for you, but with my history with depression and all the reports of accutane affecting mood, I've decided not to take the risk. You should definitely get some advice from a mental health professional before taking that step again.

Good luck and wishing you well very soon x

you really need to talk to a doctor about this stuff. if he knows anything about accutane at ALL he or she will know that accutane did notcause your depression, and to treat it from there.

go on accutane & clear your face, which will probably help your depression (depending on how much acne contributes to your depression). Or don't and get on anti-depressants with councelling. Or do both, accutane and anti depressants and get rid of everything at once.

good luck!

Has anyone heard of/ experienced permanent depression/ mental changes from tane? I know it says that accutane can cause depression, but does this go after treatment, or have a permanent change?

IMHO you need to take care of your depression first. Please don't worry about antidepressants, I've been on them since I was 17 and it's the best thing I did (may not have been alive now otherwise). Even with my history, my derm was still fairly happy to prescribe accutane.

Antidepressants aren't a miracle cure, they are only a band-aid to get you through, and can take months to start working. I would very strongly recommend seeing a counsellor/therapist. You have massive issues to deal with re. self-esteem and your acne. If you get the right help, you might not even need to resort to meds.

Can't make recommendations for you, but with my history with depression and all the reports of accutane affecting mood, I've decided not to take the risk. You should definitely get some advice from a mental health professional before taking that step again.

Good luck and wishing you well very soon x

Dear Cubsin;

I was worried that Accutane might make me feel depressed, too, since there is some depression in my family. I decided to go for it and promised myself that if I started to feel 'that way' -- the way I would feel if I were going down the road to depression -- that I would get off the Accutane immediately and go talk to someone. Your mental health is number one. Clearing your acne should also be a priority, though, if it makes you feel as terrible as you say it does. I know that clearing my skin was a big deal for me -- and it made a big difference to my outlook in the end.

Maybe you could consider a combination of things. You could try a slightly higher dose (40mg or more?) of Accutane to start if your derm is okay with that, to see how you feel. I think you needed a higher dose for you to clear in your previous treatment. The usual is 1mg per kg. Maybe a higher dose over a shorter period would be more effective in future.

Maybe your doctor would suggest antidepressants as well. You can take both at the same time safely. I have heard of many people taking antidepressants while on Accutane treatment. It depends on how liberal your doctors are, though, I suppose. I see a counselor when I'm feeling crappy and it helps me immensely.

I think you look great despite having skin issues :wub:

I think that if you cleared your skin, you'd feel much better about yourself. I dealt with bad skin for so many years, and into my 30's I'd had enough. I should have taken 'tane sooner.

My worries about the Accutane were turned around completely once I started taking the drug. I felt more energetic, I slept better, and my mood was great (and still is now that my skin looks fantastic). But everyone has a different chemistry. And sometimes our fears get the better of us -- we worry so much that we don't try things that aren't 100% guaranteed to work out.

From what I've heard, many people who felt depressed while on Accutane felt better after their course ended. There are so many personal accounts in every direction, though, that it's tough to know who to listen to. I think you should go with your own, honest gut feelings about all of this. I think you do know what you want, and you just need a little reassurance -- and I do think you will do what's best for you in the end.

Sorry if I didn't help at all with my rambling! Take care and let us know how you're doing with your decision etc. :)

I also had a history of depression and was given accutane ...still on it. I also take antidepressants. You could always take both? Im just saying you have alot of options...I would personally start on just the tane... It sounds like your depression is heavily linked to your acne, in which case the accutane clearing you should be beneficial for your mood. If you find you are clearing but your mood is decreasing or still quite low, then maybe thats either a sign that you have depression not related to the acne as well, and may look into ADs.

I never got a full response from my ADs, and never knew why until I started to clear and realised I was always being held back by the acne. I didnt even know what I looked like anymore, my face was so inflammed and red. Good luck bro and you should feel a lot better when you clear. If your mood decreases, you always have the option to stop/ lower dose.

New to this so going to be short but sweet but my caution to you is BE CAREFUL! I am an irritable person by nature and I found that my first few weeks on Accutane it really made me hostile, angry and depressed (more so than usual). No suicidal thoughts but I could see where it would make a severely emotionally unstable person go over the edge.

Good luck. I'm on about day 40 or so and I'm having my own adventure. Was given a different kind of generic than I started on (Claravis first, Sotret second because that was what they had available) and I had an allergic reaction to the new one (Sotret). Turns out it contains something in the capsule that I am allergic to. That was money well spent, I have 26 days left of Sotret if anybody wants it, lol. Seriously, j/k. Can I get in trouble for saying that, iPledge? :)

Thanks everyone for all the responses... its super helpful...

Zitophobe- I know exactly where you are coming from when you say deal with your depression first... That was my intitial thought. I could try ADs, then go on accutane later. But my only concern is, my depression issssss my acne... So even if I dealt with the depression, took ADs, it would feel like I may get better, and be less anxious about my face, but still having acne would imply to me that I still may experience depression....

FMJess/ Mikez- I was thinking about the AD/ accutane combo... but the place where I would be going is actually staffed by residents from my college, and they are very hestitant with acne. If I were on ADs, I know they would not prescribe me accutane. Even if I went elsewhere, it seems as though it would be unlikley that a derm would give me accutane if I were on antidepressants as well, but as you guys say, its been done before!

Un4tanate- That is my current thought process... I think...

Derosi- Thanks for the heads up, let me know how things go...

Wishbone- Thanks very much for your kind words, they really mean a lot and are helpful. I had managed to convince myself a while ago that the depression/ accutane link was just correlation, not causation. I mean, come on, aren't people with severe acne going to get depressed? My only hesitance stems from having already done a course... While I still have my acne, which I know could be causing the depression, how do I KNOW know? I mean, the accutane could very well have caused/ worsened my depression, I'm afraid if I go on it again... I may just compltely lose it?!?

Another factor in this is all is my previous history of worry. I have always been worried about my physical appearance... first it was my hair, then I worried about my weight, then my teeth (I know, I shouldn't care about these things, its crazyy, I know). But at the time when I worried about these things, they were pretty much extremely large concerns. Not as bad as the acne is now, but still bad. I also stress constantly about school work and grades..This brings up two things for me: 1) even if I get rid of the acne, I see there is defiantely something else deeper here, what is going to step in, and take its place? 2) Perhaps this is justification for me thinking that first course of accutane didn't cause any depression? Maybe it was already there?

I know at some point Ill have to deal with the depression, but its very difficult for me to come to terms with my face if I haven't gone through a full treatment of accutane at a proper dose... you know what I mean? I think that if I finally exhausted all options, and even if accutane didnt work, I think I'd be content and be able to say: "Ok, there is nothing you can do, now buck up, and live with it, life is too short...!"

Gah... Im still scared.

Hey there!

I was on Zoloft for a month before starting accutane, and will be on it for another month. I didn't have any problems taking them together, and helping with my depression helped my attitude about my skin for sure. The thing about accutane and depression... well, the corrolation exists for two reasons IMO... 1. People who have acne can be depressed because of low-self esteem and 2. Young people have acne, and young people are more likely to get depression. I personally don't think accutane can cause depression. From my experience, the longer I was on Zoloft the better I felt, and I finally felt like myself again after a few months. The best part was finishing the accutane, and having the clear skin to boost my already-growing confidence. I don't consider myself depressed anymore.

If your depression is a chemical thing like mine was, go for the drugs, there is no reason not to! But if you have other issues to it is definitely a good idea to think about starting therapy. My doctor had no problems giving me accutane while on the antidepressants, and gave me her home number if I ever felt it getting really bad, she just wanted to monitor me.

hope this helps!

very unlikely. the link between depression and accutane is anecdotal at best. people go looking for things to blame their problems on, and one of them is drugs. funny thing is, if you tell someone what the side effects (or benefits) of taking a "drug" are they are more likely to experience them (even if there's no active drug). it's called the placebo effect, and it works even if the drug isn't a blank. if you're concerned about your depression the person you should talk to is a psychiatrist. my guess is they'll tell you your depression isn't because of taking accutane.

Now that I look more into things, Im very scared accutane, my first course, may have caused my current depression...

Now that I look more into things, Im very scared accutane, my first course, may have caused my current depression...

If you're under 30 years old, I'd be inclined to say that you were going to have depression anyway. Accutane or not.

Go get counseling and see if you'd benefit from some type of antidepressant. AD's do not change you, just as insulin does not change a diabetic, just as synthroid does not change a hypothyroid, just as anti-hypertensives do not change a hypertensive patient. You just get normal.

There are psych drugs that do change one, but most antidepressants do NOT fit in that category. (I'm talking Haldol, seroquel, zyprexa, etc). Even those do not necessarily 'change' someone if the doctor follows the patient and monitors them closely. I have seen incredible changes for the better in patients who take Seroquel, Haldol and/or Zyprexa. Those poor people become NORMAL, or as close to normal as their vascularly damaged brains will allow them to be.

Accutane does not affect intelligence, either. More media hype. Good grief.

Depression usually first shows up when one is under 30 years of age so that's why I mentioned age as a factor.

you can do ADs and tane at the same time as long as you make sure you are monitored. kill two birds... with two stones...

Maybe you could set it up so that you have a backup plan if things start going awry while you're on Accutane. You could find a good counsellor (I don't want to say 'shrink' as I will be one in a couple of years :think: ) -- one who will support your need for clear skin. You could start antidepressants and / or therapy should you start to feel crappy during your course.

Of course, I'm sure you've already thought of all this! I'm just thinking about what I would have done to have clear skin. In my case, however, my acne (at 33) really wasn't going to go away anytime soon. Your skin might clear on its own if you wait it out, so you have options that I did not have. Oh, to have had clear skin and little or no scarring ... it would have been a blessing through my 20's ...

I think you are worrying too much. You're an intelligent and attractive fella, you have a right to clear skin now, and you should certainly be at ease with yourself. I wish I could help, I really do! :angel:

Maybe you could set it up so that you have a backup plan if things start going awry while you're on Accutane. You could find a good counsellor (I don't want to say 'shrink' as I will be one in a couple of years :think: ) -- one who will support your need for clear skin. You could start antidepressants and / or therapy should you start to feel crappy during your course.

Of course, I'm sure you've already thought of all this! I'm just thinking about what I would have done to have clear skin. In my case, however, my acne (at 33) really wasn't going to go away anytime soon. Your skin might clear on its own if you wait it out, so you have options that I did not have. Oh, to have had clear skin and little or no scarring ... it would have been a blessing through my 20's ...

I think you are worrying too much. You're an intelligent and attractive fella, you have a right to clear skin now, and you should certainly be at ease with yourself. I wish I could help, I really do! :angel:

, but i would say it can indirectly affect your inteligence while on it...

AKA, your opinion only & not based on any facts whatsoever. niiiiiiiiiiiice. :rolleyes:

, but i would say it can indirectly affect your inteligence while on it...

AKA, your opinion only & not based on any facts whatsoever. niiiiiiiiiiiice. :rolleyes:

Mine wasn't down to my vision until the very last minute when i stopped the drug... for about a month back dateing that point in time, i found it very hard to concentrate. It was as if i was drunk 24x7 in terms of my ability to concentrate... I was very fortunate to still manage and pull a good grade out of my ass for my second year at uni...