Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lovesit19

Accutane or spiro for hormonal acne??

I posted this to the accutane discussion also, but thought I could get help here also!!

Hi all! I am a 25 year old female that has had mild/moderate hormonal acne for the last 3 or so years. I had great skin as a teenager, but it has gotten worse in my 20’s. That said, I feel like I have tried everything to handle this – tried antibiotics, face washes, proactive, birth control pills, spiro, etc. Nothing has worked for me to get completely get rid of this completely and I am extremely frustrated. I want to get clear, especially before I get off spiro/bcp and try to get pregnant - I will DIE if my skin freaks out and I'm not able to put on pimple cream, etc. (Lame & selfish, I know...but just being honest!)

I went to two derms this week to ask about accutane – I just want to be done with this!!! One derm said that accutane is great for hormonal acne, that I was a great candidate and she did the first pregnancy test (she said she would put me on 40 mg – I’m 110 lbs.). The other derm told me that there was no way she would put me on accutane b/c it won’t help hormonal acne and she thinks increasing my spiro and adding an antibiotic will do the trick. I am pretty hesitant about both given that I fear accutane and would like to get pregnant in the next year or so…I read online that accutane can stay in your system for up to 2 years!!! I really want to be done with these pimples, but not sure if accutane is even worth it or will help with hormonal acne? HELP!!!!!!!

I don't know how much this will help, but my derm also said that accutane is the only thing that will clear up my hormonal acne. She said that it should also be permanent. I haven't started yet because I am fighting insurance who has put an age restriction of 25 on accutane, I'm 26. Everyone I know who has taken it swears by it. I would also like to start a family in the next year so I'm interested in the feedback on that aspect. Hope this helped some.

i have hormonal acne and took accutane for 5 months in 2000 - 3 pills, 3 times a day. i was also told that it would go away forever, except for some, who need 2 courses. my acne came back last year when i went off the pill, worse than before, and i think it's because the accutane shrinks your pores, so my acne is now more painful, cystic and stubborn than ever, because my hormones are still behaving as they always have.

i have a long road behind me of experience and research, especially in the past year when treatments were limited to me because i wanted to get pregnant. i think accutane doesn't quite get to the root of the problem. you should look into what is causing your acne, because it could be more serious and something that needs attention. a hormonal imbalance could mean pcos or insulin resistance. if you treat the problem, your acne could clear up on its own, without taking a toxic drug that might work.

read this article >

http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/4267/1...d-Hormones.html

i have hormonal acne and took accutane for 5 months in 2000 - 3 pills, 3 times a day. i was also told that it would go away forever, except for some, who need 2 courses. my acne came back last year when i went off the pill, worse than before, and i think it's because the accutane shrinks your pores, so my acne is now more painful, cystic and stubborn than ever, because my hormones are still behaving as they always have.

i have a long road behind me of experience and research, especially in the past year when treatments were limited to me because i wanted to get pregnant. i think accutane doesn't quite get to the root of the problem. you should look into what is causing your acne, because it could be more serious and something that needs attention. a hormonal imbalance could mean pcos or insulin resistance. if you treat the problem, your acne could clear up on its own, without taking a toxic drug that might work.

read this article >

http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/4267/1...d-Hormones.html

You should check out the "hormonal acne" board here...there's a lot more on spiro. After about 10 years of persistent acne (tried EVERYTHING except Accutane), SPIRO is my miracle drug. Even if your hormonal blood tests come back normal, (as mine did) it doesn't mean SPiro won't help you. Often, women may not have high testosterone levels, but instead are overly sensitive to levels of testosterone (even if they're in the normal range). Good luck!

Lovesit: Just curious-- how long have you been taking spiro, and at what dose? Maybe a dosage increase could improve your skin. I take 200 mg daily, and have heard that at least 100 mg is necessary to make a difference.

You should check out the "hormonal acne" board here...there's a lot more on spiro. After about 10 years of persistent acne (tried EVERYTHING except Accutane), SPIRO is my miracle drug. Even if your hormonal blood tests come back normal, (as mine did) it doesn't mean SPiro won't help you. Often, women may not have high testosterone levels, but instead are overly sensitive to levels of testosterone (even if they're in the normal range). Good luck!

Lovesit: Just curious-- how long have you been taking spiro, and at what dose? Maybe a dosage increase could improve your skin. I take 200 mg daily, and have heard that at least 100 mg is necessary to make a difference.

I've been on 150 mg of spiro for about 2 years - still breaking out though! :(

I've been on 150 mg of spiro for about 2 years - still breaking out though! :(

Are you using any type of topicals at all? Even if acne is caused by hormones, the basic reason for developing acne is due to clogged pores. Lots of different types of topicals provide good exfoliation and some even help normalize skin shedding and keratinization. (Retin A, glycolic acid, superficial repeated TCA peels by esthetician). There is something out there that will work for you.

I was on Accutane twice, first time in my 20's and it worked for a few years, then I started breaking out again, went for a second course and had to give it up after 3 months, I was still breaking out and couldn't handle the side effects the second time around. I read about spiro on this board and got a Rx, it cleared up my skin almost immediately. I find it way better then accutane and wish that I knew about it years ago!

these 2 drugs are for different things - spiro treats hormones, accutane shrinks pores. you can try either for hormonal acne, but if hormones are not the cause, i don't think you'd want to take spiro.

The other derm told me that there was no way she would put me on accutane b/c it won’t help hormonal acne and she thinks increasing my spiro and adding an antibiotic will do the trick.

I read online that accutane can stay in your system for up to 2 years!!!

The other derm told me that there was no way she would put me on accutane b/c it won’t help hormonal acne and she thinks increasing my spiro and adding an antibiotic will do the trick.

I read online that accutane can stay in your system for up to 2 years!!!

The second derm is against accutane and they usually will say anything to keep you off it. I would have told her to go to hell.

Accutane is out of your system in 2 WEEKS, so it's safe after a month (some people wait 3-6 months but this is actually not necessary) so wherever you read 2 years it total rubbish. Actually, if you know where you read that I'd love to get it taken off whatever site that's on.

And yes, accutane is good for hormonal acne. I had pretty severe acne and around my period I would literally explode with spots....... now almost a year after finishing accutane I get about 2 pimples a month.

HOWEVER, if you decided to pump more spiro/anitbiotics/HBC into your system that WILL work as well....... but not as any long term solution and certainly not after you've stopped taking them.