Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lovesit19

I'm so confused...accutane or spiro??

Hi all! :) I am a 25 year old female that has had mild/moderate hormonal acne for the last 3 or so years. I had great skin as a teenager, but it has gotten worse in my 20’s. That said, I feel like I have tried everything to handle this – tried antibiotics, face washes, proactive, birth control pills, spiro, etc. Nothing has worked for me to get completely get rid of this completely and I am extremely frustrated. I want to get clear, especially before I get off spiro/bcp and try to get pregnant - I will DIE if my skin freaks out and I'm not able to put on pimple cream, etc. (Lame & selfish, I know...but just being honest!)

I went to two derms this week to ask about accutane – I just want to be done with this!!! One derm said that accutane is great for hormonal acne, that I was a great candidate and she did the first pregnancy test (she said she would put me on 40 mg – I’m 110 lbs.). The other derm told me that there was no way she would put me on accutane b/c it won’t help hormonal acne and she thinks increasing my spiro and adding an antibiotic will do the trick. I am pretty hesitant about both given that I fear accutane and would like to get pregnant in the next year or so…I read online that accutane can stay in your system for up to 2 years!!! I really want to be done with these pimples, but not sure if accutane is even worth it or will help with hormonal acne? HELP!!!!!!! :wall:

not to sure on this one but i think, if its hormonal it will work normally but there is a more likey chance of the acne coming back when you come off. As for getting pregnant im pretty sure it 1 or 2 months after you finish, definately not 2 years

No way 2 years.

Accutane will work, thats how the drug is designed to make it impossible in most ppl for the skin to produce acne eventually. But if its hormonal, then yeh, it might come back. That said, I can't imagine nething else more effective than accutane.

With spiro & antibiotics there is no end in sight....with accutane you can take 1 six month course and be done with it possibly forever.