Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xmiss_behavex

Scar Treatments.....

Hey all,

I'm new to scarring as i've never had it before, but after the severe cystic outbreak i had about 3 months ago i am left with a lot of scarring and red marks.

Now the red marks can be covered with make up and i am working on fading them. But the scarring obviously isn't just gonna go away.

So anyway....my question.......I have some Glycolic Acid peels (30% and 50%) which i bought a while ago. I wanna use them and just wanna know whether anyone has experienced less defined scarring when using peels? Will they help with the scarring at all?

Thanks all in advance :)

Guest delta force operators

post a pic of ur scas, i think u may have alot of redmarks where retiniods help,

id only do the glycolic acid when the red marks are healed up quite a bit

I had slightly improved scarring with the TCA peel I did. I noticed improvement, over time, with daily and every other day use of a 10% glycolic acid product. The edges of boxcars became less jagged over time.

Retin A or other topical retinoids will also help improve indented scarring and red marks. Retinoids seem to also improve collagen growth and reformation.

A glycolic peel of 30% would be a good choice once you're healed up more and do not have active acne. A peel can sometimes cause a flare. If you're on Accutane, do not do a peel until you've been off Accutane for at least six months.

Personally, I think peels are absolutely useless for acne-scarring. Peels are good for giving the skin a healthy glow but for scarring, rubbish.

A good dermatologist who has experience of treating acne-scars will not recommend peels of any sort. The only people who recommend peels for acne-scarring are those in the money-grabbing skin and beauty clinics, who are not even dermatologists themselves but nurses. There's a few places like that here in the UK such as sk:n who want nothing only your money, and will recommend the most useless of treatments as long as they're lining their pockets.

Guest sm_oore

just be careful on the peels, somtimes they can cause even more scarring.

I'd have a pro do it.

Thanks all for the replies. :wub:

I will take a pic of my scars when i can be bothered and post them here so you can give me your opinions. I think i have shallow scarring and some ice pick scars. Grrrr hate them!

I'm gonna try Wynne's advice and try some retinoids i think to start off with. What is a TCA peel Wynne?

Thanks all again........watch this space for piccie update :)

Guest delta force operators

im just talking from experience, if u do tca on fresh scars its gonna burn a hole in ur scar and leave a deeper scar.

so like i said a light retiniod at first then once its healed tca the fker

i did my second 30% peel yesterday, not a whole lotta difference on the scar front, but least skin looks nicer. After a few more at 30% i'll bump that shit up to 50 and see what happens, other than that, you could try Bio Oil or Needling if money is a problem.

Thanks!

I don't think i can trust the bio oil! Heard some good things but mostly bad. Plus putting oil on my face would completely freak me out. Gonna try a retinoid i think and see how that goes.

Good luck with the peels and thanks for the reply