Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RavNouS

My Subcision treatment - review

Hey all,

I just had my first subcision treatment done yesterday. I wanted to wait a day to post my results as the doctor advised me that they may be so residual swelling / brusing following the procedure. So here's the scoop, The loaded me up with the numbing cream (such a pain, and in my honest opinion, it really doesnt do anything for you) and advised me to take two tylenol (which they never gave me).

Once I was prepped and ready to go, the doctor started the treatment, he stuck the needle in throught my pores and began to move up and down underneath the scars, which feels wierd at first, but once he/she has done it a few times you will get used to it. The doctor actually hit areas on my skin that were not pre-numbed with the numbing cream, but it felt virtually the same (I have a very high threshold for pain, so you may have a different result depending).

Following the procedure I cleaned up my face, etc.. which was very swollen and red. The doctor told me I did very well, and I should recieve good results from the treatment. I had the doctor focus on my two temples and my cheeks, where the scarring is the worst. After I had cleaned myself up, I was handed a mirror to check the results. I have to say that I am very pleased (atleast right now) with my skin following this procedure. My left temple / top of my left cheek which had noticeable scarring (depressed, not very deep) has dissappeared, and my temple was basically clear. The right side of my face was also noticeably better, though there are a few scars left on my cheek that are still there.

All in all I am very happy with this first attempt, and I am planning on having another subcision treatment done, possibly with the V-Beam laser (my doctor performs the two procedures routinely, and says the two combined work wonders..... we'll see). The doctor also tried to sell me on the Fraxel II laser, as I saw him for the Fraxel I laser originally. I want to see how this treatment affects my skin before I decide to try out another laser. I will try to post some pics in my gallery when I get a chance.

Pete

Thanks for your post! Please don't assume that these are your permanent results, though. There will be residual swelling for perhaps up to even two weeks following a subcision procedure, particularly if the doctor/surgeon was aggressive. There's a lot of swelling and that does distort the final results a bit. Overall, I am sure you will have more than pleasant results, but I do not want you to be very upset when you see the results lessen as the swelling subsides. Subcision is a great treatment, particularly for rolling scars!

Congratulations for starting on your self-improvement journey! And thanks for sharing it with us!

The results of subcision are not seen until about 6 weeks after treatment. You said you wanted to wait one day after treatment to post your results but your skin will be swollen for 6-7 days with some bruising and after this is will go back to looking the way it did before treatment. It's only at week 2 or so that the improvements kick in and collagen lifts the skin up to a more flatter level.

What you're experiencing now is swelling which is normal and you should wait another 6 weeks before analysing your results.

thanks for the feedback!..... I know it will a few weeks after the treatment to see the final / permenent results, but I am atleast pleased that the procedue seemed to after my skin postiviely. How soon after the first subcision treatment can a second treatment be performed. I was advised that it can take up to 3 subcision treatments to seem optimal results (which I will gladly do if the results are as promising as it seems).

Regards,

Pete

I don't know the optimal time to wait between subcisions, but I'm sure there are others with experience who will be happy to help you out! :) It would be at least a month to give your skin a chance to rebuild its collagen, more likely two months.

thanks for the feedback!..... I know it will a few weeks after the treatment to see the final / permenent results, but I am atleast pleased that the procedue seemed to after my skin postiviely. How soon after the first subcision treatment can a second treatment be performed. I was advised that it can take up to 3 subcision treatments to seem optimal results (which I will gladly do if the results are as promising as it seems).

Regards,

Pete

Hey RavNouS . Thanks for writing out your actual treatment experience.

I will be having subcision plus laser treatment this coming nov. What you have written down will be very useful to me in preparation for this treatment mentally hehe.

Are you going to post your pics of your treatment progress? Are you able to go out and face the world after a few days?

You should leave about 6 weeks between subcision treatments. I've had 2 subcisions and at 4 weeks after each treatment, if i pressed the areas that were subcised, they hurt a bit. The main improvements to subcision seem to happen during weeks 3, 4 and 5 this allows good time for collagen to lift the skin.

You should leave about 6 weeks between subcision treatments. I've had 2 subcisions and at 4 weeks after each treatment, if i pressed the areas that were subcised, they hurt a bit. The main improvements to subcision seem to happen during weeks 3, 4 and 5 this allows good time for collagen to lift the skin.

If you mean going out into the sun to tan then I wouldn't do that if you're receiving acne-scar treatments.

If you mean using sunbeds to tan then I don't really know. I'd just leave my skin alone.

Hey RavNouS . Thanks for writing out your actual treatment experience.

I will be having subcision plus laser treatment this coming nov. What you have written down will be very useful to me in preparation for this treatment mentally hehe.

Are you going to post your pics of your treatment progress? Are you able to go out and face the world after a few days?

I'm glad that my post have given you more insight into the treatment, I have learned alot from this site, so I figured it was time to give back.

I am going to try and post a few pics of the results, and keep posting as I have successive treatments. I took the day off yesterday to have the procedure performed, I looked very red and bruised yesterday, and didnt really care about how I looked, as long as the treatment worked. Today I am at work again, and I have some puncture wounds, brusing, and a partial black eye (some black and blue in the corner of my eye as the doctor hit my temples very hard).

If you dont mind looking a little "beat up" for a few days, then you can definately do your normal thing.

Pete

Currently i am giving my skin a rest after a course of accutane. I guess for my first treatment i will be taking a week off to gauge the healing progress. If it is all redness , i think i could say i had a sun tan :whistle: . hee .

Anyway how bad was your scarring? I have a lot of box saucer type scars on my cheeks and some on my temples,forehead and nose. My derm said that by combining subcision and laser(sub-ablative type), i could expect 75% improvement (6 monthly sessions ).

[My Scars]

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1881/pic002ku4.jpg

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/73/pic004sk0.jpg

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/3676/nosevk6.jpg

I am pinning my hope on subcision and laser treatment to make my scarring less obvious.

You shouldn't go tanning. You shouldn't smoke or drink either.

Subcision improved my scars. I think it just depends on the person & the doctor/technique.

I had this deep dent on the front of my cheek, and now the dent isn't even there. It's been like since 2003.

I guess everyone's different. Good luck though.

figured I'd update this thread, rather than create an entirely new one...

I just recently had my second subcision treatment done, including V-BEAM. I apologise for not having any before and after pics, I dont not have a digital camera, otherwise I would def. keep track. The doctor has been taking pictures from the very beginning, so maybe I can get those shots from him the next time im there.

Anyway, the doctor started with subcision (which seemed to hurt alot more this time than the first, probably since the skin has been loosened up, and is much more tender now) then moved to the V-BEAM laser. Subcision had its usual result, tho this time I did not have as much brusing / black and blue.

On the V-BEAM, the doctor started with a lower setting, as he just wanted to smooth over the results of the subcision (also to reduce the brusing for work, etc.). In the end, he hit some of my more worrysome spots with the highest setting he could (which has caused me to have many black and blue tack looking spots).

at the moment my face looks very much improved, I am very impressed with the results, I only hope they stick. I am now looking at going to work with these tack like marks, but you know what... It really doesnt bother me that much... I mean I had acne for a long time, and feel that I can deal with this for the 10 - 14 days.

My plan at the moment is to see how this treatment works out, then go from there. I am thinking of having a Fraxel II treatment done 6 weeks from now. I would like to do another subcision, just to end it at 3.... but feel 2 should be enough "invasive" action. I would like to continue on with the lasers, as they will handle my large pores, and skin coloring overall.

All in all I think im starting to get addicted to these treatments....