Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
09rules

it worked for me!

Just a visit from an accutane success story... My run was January-June on 20-40-60-80-80-80. I'm 20 years old and had had acne since I was 10, with everything from blackheads to big old cysts, with my breakouts related to my cycle. I'd tried everything I wasn't allergic to and nothing kept it at bay without side effects. When I started, I'd classify my acne as not moderately severe, but remarkably persistent.

The drug made an amazing change. Those five months were REALLY tough, my healing was ridiculously slow and I always had scabs on my face from my tender skin breaking when I'd get a pimple. My lips were really dry and I had nosebleeds the whole way. I also had aching after exercising.

Yes, there are miserable times with the drug (especially the hassles they put women through to get it), but right after I finished my course, my skin was healed within a week and was crystal clear since then (okay, well one pimple that went away in a day, the red mark is still fading though... but I can live with one teensy pimple every three months!) Once my red marks faded (~1month) people were complimenting me on my skin, and a guy I met when I had scabs on my face didn't even recognize me and tried to introduce himself to me at a party :)

All I can say is, if you're on it and you're having the normal side effects, it sucks now but don't give up hope! This drug exists for a reason, and I am so glad I finally got the nerve to ask for it, it has changed my life.

Just a visit from an accutane success story... My run was January-June on 20-40-60-80-80-80. I'm 20 years old and had had acne since I was 10, with everything from blackheads to big old cysts, with my breakouts related to my cycle. I'd tried everything I wasn't allergic to and nothing kept it at bay without side effects. When I started, I'd classify my acne as not moderately severe, but remarkably persistent.

The drug made an amazing change. Those five months were REALLY tough, my healing was ridiculously slow and I always had scabs on my face from my tender skin breaking when I'd get a pimple. My lips were really dry and I had nosebleeds the whole way. I also had aching after exercising.

Yes, there are miserable times with the drug (especially the hassles they put women through to get it), but right after I finished my course, my skin was healed within a week and was crystal clear since then (okay, well one pimple that went away in a day, the red mark is still fading though... but I can live with one teensy pimple every three months!) Once my red marks faded (~1month) people were complimenting me on my skin, and a guy I met when I had scabs on my face didn't even recognize me and tried to introduce himself to me at a party :)

All I can say is, if you're on it and you're having the normal side effects, it sucks now but don't give up hope! This drug exists for a reason, and I am so glad I finally got the nerve to ask for it, it has changed my life.

omg, haha i love the accutane dancers! theyre brill!

thankgod someone actually comes back and tells us not to lose hope, i so need this at the moment. im going through hell

Guest AcneProne_1977
thankgod someone actually comes back and tells us not to lose hope, i so need this at the moment. im going through hell

That's great!! Congratulations! I finish my course today! :P I hope I have the same results with the red marks *fingers crossed*

Thankyou so much for posting this! I'm going through utter hell here and this just gave me the hope I most dearly needed. Congrats!

Oh my gosh that's so great!

I am 2 months in and look AWFUL. I have one question for you- were you oily before the course, and if you so, did the oil come back? Just something I was wondering. Congratulations on your success! :D

really??? i've kinda lost hope, i really have. if you see my pix u'll understand why. im on my 5th month n still look baddd...

did u break out thru out ur course? do u have any before/after pix???

thank you for comin here n lettin us know....

there should be an inspirational thread for accutane users where post accutane users can help out/advice.

Thanks for all the congrats!

And to answer the questions, yes I did break out throughout my course, but less and less as it went on... I was never 100% clear and I looked worse than I was because I was healing really really slowly. I was never really really oily, and during the course I had no oil, but now I'm back to normal levels with it. It's really manageable.

The best part about finishing is I got to throw away all the gross moisturizing creams and petroleum jelly I was sticking on myself to keep my lips from cracking. I have a grand total of THREE face products I use every day. A cleanser (neutrogena fresh foaming makeup removing) for morning, Olay Daily facials at night or when I shower (great for post-tane red marks but I would advise against them during treatment because they're very exfoliating and pretty much only good for clear sking) and a light moisturizer/SPF lotion for the day. WAY less hassle than during treatment! I also keep some salicylic acid 2% spot treatment on hand and a toner if I really feel like it.

Good luck to everyone, don't give up!

Cool theres hope!

After 4 1/2 months I'm still getting NEW break outs. Is that normal???

Maybe my results will come once I stop taking the tane?

Some people clear faster than others. Give Accutante your best shot, It's an amazing drug. Some people have to go through 2 courses.

I only had to go through one, but I didn't clear like after 3 months. but if I had to, I would go through another course without a second thought. I started taking accutane about 2 years ago (5 month course) and it has made a huge difference. My skin is clear (some small whiteheads, but trust me that is nothing, I looked like a moster) What I do (which I shouldn't but anyways, is that I have some extra accutane I get prescribed in south america and everytime I feel a little oily I take one pill, like once every two months, because paranoia is there)

Take some pictures, keep them. You will forget what you looked like before. You will be happy to see those pictures one day. Remember that after you finish your course you will still have red spots that will fade with time. Be patient, I know it's hard, I went through hell too.

I second what 09rules said... I know it's hard for people who had to success to keep up on these boards, but I'm sure it would help encourage people.

I started my course a year ago, and my derm started me on 80mg a day, which I later found out is a little crazy for someone who weighs 130 pounds! But, it took about 2 months for the side effects to calm down... my face was very flushed for the first two weeks, and my skin was very dry and sensitive for a couple of months. But after two months I began to see great results.

After four months, my derm and I agreed to see if the results lasted, and they have! I finished in February of this year, my skin is completely clear... not only that but my red marks have cleared up from cysts on my chin area. Everything else about my body is back to normal... skin texture, muscle aches (I even have arthritis and my recovery time is back to normal).

Honestly, my skin looks great... I spend far less time concerned about my appearance now because I don't have to worry about covering up bad skin. I hardly ever wear makeup... I can't even remember how awful it was because of how amazing it is now. I wish I had more old pictures of myself, or of me going through the process because I almost forget what it was like to have to deal with acne, and it wasn't even that long ago!

So, there is hope! Keep it up! Follow your doctors instructions and TRUST them. Even if you didn't start out as high as I did, you'll get there. Patience and trust is soo key in this process. But, for most people it DOES WORK. Just take care of yourselves, it will be worth it for most of you.

Good luck!

Kate

Cool theres hope!

After 4 1/2 months I'm still getting NEW break outs. Is that normal???

Maybe my results will come once I stop taking the tane?