Find results in...
Grubbs0621

Starting the Regimen, Need Advice Please

Treatment when I was 15

MD Forte II Facial Clenser

MD forte II Glycolic Acid

Tretinoin Cream .1%

Banzaclin

Worked wonders for years, acne free until about December 06. I admit I was slacking a little bit but I

started using this same method again religiously and after 8 weeks it failed to produce results.

Beginning of February 07, I decided to try something new and switched over to

Neutrogena Advanced Solutions Kit.

It had

Acne Cleanser

Oil Free Day Lotion

Overnight Acne Control Lotion.

Another 8 weeks and a little improvement at about 4 weeks, but then totally stopped working. Made me

worse. So I decided to try the big boy, Proactiv.

Renewing Cleanser

Repair Lotion

Revializing Tone

Another 8 weeks and a little improvement about 2-3 weeks in, but then it stopped working, Again. This

is when I decided to go to the Dermatologist.

First time there he hooked me up with Tazorac .1% for my face and Differin Gel .1% for my back.

He also had me start using this Sulfur Soap on my skin. This was in May 2007, and a return appointment

for 6 weeks later.

It improved me but then it got worse after about 4 weeks again.

Second time back,

He added in a Differin Cream .1% for my face to add in 100 mg Minocycline. And to see him again in 6 weeks.

I got a lot better in a week, and then it went slowly down hill to where it was almost at its worse.

Third Time back.

He took me off of Minocycline. Put me on 750MG Nic and 90MG Solodyn.

And as usual, the first month I show great improvement and then it suddenly stops, and reverts to pre

treatment stages.

My current doctor treatment is;

Morning:

Sulfer Soap Face Wash

1 90mg Solodyn

1 750mg NIC

.1% Differin Cream to Face

.1% Differin Gel to Back

Night:

Sulfer Soap Face Wash

1 750mg NIC

.1% Tazorac to Face

.1% Differin Gel to Back

I just ordered the starter's kit for the regimen and am waiting for it to come in. It should arrive

about the same time I have my next appointment. I plan to tell the doctor I am tired of wasting and shelling

out money on all of these topicals that improve me for a little bit and then stop working. However, I am

thinking of asking for Accutane but I don't know if he would give it to me or not since I've got mild to

moderate acne.

However, would starting a dose of Accutane affect the regimen's effectiveness on me? Or should I only attempt

the regimen for 8 weeks and nothing else? Or is there another pill I should ask for that goes good with the

regimen.

Thanx!

simply put: accutane + the regimen is overkill -- you won't need any other treatment if you decide to try accutane.

assuming that your skin can eventually tolerate the full dosage of bp (and based on my experience), i suspect that you would see more improvement with the regimen than you're seeing with your current treatment.

oral antibiotics never helped me, so i can't comment on that.

YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THE REGIMEN WHILE YOU ARE ON ACCUTANE. This is very bad for your skin, as your derm will tell you - use only gentle cleanser and moisturizer while on accutane. I would choose one of the two.

Oral antibiotics (the other pill that you could take with the Regimen) are good, I've used them forever, but I would see how the Regimen works without them. The Regimen was the thing that finally made me able to go off antibiotics - which I had been on for YEARS (not healthy). If you can get clear on the Regimen without antibiotics you'll be better off. Hold off until about 3 months in, and if you're still not clear, you can start thinking about antibiotics.

Also, there seems to be an odd pattern of your treatments working and then their effectiveness goes way down after about a month. Are you slacking off at all after that point in time, or is there some other reason that you may be causing this decline in effectiveness? It just doesn't make too much sense to me. Also, I have experienced this as I have slacked off on my regimen before and reverted back, but now I'm realizing it and keeping conscious of it. Regardless, try and make sure on your next regimen that you stay conscious of how much you use, how often, etc. and try to keep it consisitent so you don't have problems. Good luck!

Also, there seems to be an odd pattern of your treatments working and then their effectiveness goes way down after about a month. Are you slacking off at all after that point in time, or is there some other reason that you may be causing this decline in effectiveness? It just doesn't make too much sense to me. Also, I have experienced this as I have slacked off on my regimen before and reverted back, but now I'm realizing it and keeping conscious of it. Regardless, try and make sure on your next regimen that you stay conscious of how much you use, how often, etc. and try to keep it consisitent so you don't have problems. Good luck!

No. That is the weirdest part of it all. I'm not slacking off. The only time I've slacked off since I've started all of this is I took about a 4 day vacation down to San Antonio (shortly after my third trip to the derm), but that has been it.

That is what bothers me the most, is everything I try will work at first, start to clear me up, and right as I think I've found the answer, it all reverts back to its old self.

That is what bothers me the most, is everything I try will work at first, start to clear me up, and right as I think I've found the answer, it all reverts back to its old self.

I know what you mean. That was basically my experience with acne products before the regimen...I'd buy some brand new acne cleanser or lotion, start using it, notice it drying out my acne and thinking "okay, great, maybe this is it", but then I'd inevitably break out and continue to break out because the treatments I was using weren't very good at preventing new acne, just drying out old acne. Dan's regimen has been the only thing I've tried that has continued to work beyond just an initial improvement stage. I have to warn you, it's not smooth sailing the whole way through adjusting to the regimen, so don't let that discourage you early on. A common progression through the regimen is for the first few days, everything is looking pretty good, and then you get hit with some flaking/dryness after about a week, and then maybe you have an annoying breakout three weeks in and are still dealing with dryness and maybe some redness from adjusting to BP, then you clear up a little more, then you have a small breakout, then you clear up more and are less dry, then maybe a small breakout, and then it kind of cycles until you basically reach a virtually clear, stable point sometime during your second or third month. You have to be prepared to still have breakouts for a couple more months (though hopefully decreasing in severity) and to grapple with dry, flaking skin that might not look too nice while you adjust.

i need to add that dan's basic regimen may not work on stubborn acne without additional products. but no regimen user should mess with additional products when first starting off.