Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bottleofboos

Doxycycline/BenzaClin/Retin-A

I'm currently on a treatment prescribed by my family doctor. It says on my perscription that I should apply BenzaClin twice a day and Retin-A at night. I'm wondering if it is bad to apply both BenzaClin and Retin-A at the same time at night.

This is what I'm currently doing:

Morning

-Take a shower

-Use soap to wash face and pat dry

-Apply BenzaClin onto face

Evening

-Wash face with soap and pat dry

-Apply BenzaClin onto face

-Then apply Retin-A 0.05& cream on to face

-Take a pill of Doxyclcline

My face gets really dried from doing this, so I'm planning to get moisturizer or lotion to solve this problem.

Any response about the treatment would be nice, especially about using BenzaClin and Retin-A at the same time.

That's an often used combination of medications - many people have had good results from that type of regimen.

As to advice - don't use more than the recommended amount of Retin-A. The irritation has a tendency to sneak up on you after several days, so use a small amount. You might also want to wait at least 15 min after washing your face to apply it. Sometimes you can get increased irritation if you put it on right after you wash.

Be careful with sun exposure - the Retin-A and the doxycycline can increase your sensitivity to the sun. Make sure to wear a good sunscreen every day.

Good luck with your regimen!!!

Thanks. But I'm wondering if it's ok to have both BenzaClin and Retin-A applied at night.

No. The benzoyl peroxide will basically deactivate the Retin-A. Use one at night and one in the morning.