Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cubsin2100

Accutane and dry eyes (or lips for that matter)...

So what I have gathered is that accutane not only stops sebum production in your skin, but also oil production in your eyes, thus, the dry eyes. But my question is, if accutane really does its job, and stops the oil from coming back (ie, stopping acne), why would it come back to your eyes, but not your skin? Wouldnt you have to wait for you acne to come back for the dry eyes (/ oil production) to come back?

I have been experiencing super dry and eyes, and am debating not doing tane. Its worth getting rid of the acne, but not worth having messed up vision the rest of my life.

You raise a good argument and I've no idea what the answer is. But personally, even if the dry eyes side effect WAS permanent, I'd rather apply eye drops for the rest of my life than have to worry about acne anymore.

Hi -

I have dry eyes and mild Rosacea and went on low dose Tane 4/27. I totally love it. My mild chin acne is gone by month two, and smoother softer skin in exchange. I'm on 20mg one day and 30mg the next (alternate) since month 3. My side effects are mild, dry skin, eyes, and lips. Nothing unbearable. I do use re-wetting drops as needed, but my eyes aren't too dry where I can't open them up or severely irritated. I also use Systane eye drops (without contacts in) if needed. Haven't had any problems.

You need to decide for yourself, but I do recommend starting off lower dose and seeing how you do. My Derm. said I could always stop if I didn't feel I was seeing results (after a few months) or if the side effects were too much. Never had too.

Good luck in your decision.

Yvette

there is not oil in your eyes. anyway, the oil on your skin comes back after you stop accutane.

there is not oil in your eyes. anyway, the oil on your skin comes back after you stop accutane.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...amp;hl=dry+eyes

Here is what one user wrote, and I have seen similar accounts of it...

"

Thank you for the suggestion ForHabs, but I can assure you that the effect is quite real. I've been seen by three opthomologists, all of whom have tested the quality of my tear film. My eyes produce less tears than is normal, and more importantly the tear film is unstable -- the oil content of my tears is dramatically lower than normal (unsurprising, given the nature of accutane), resulting in higher than normal rates of evaporation. This is the result of decreased oil secretion by my Meibomian glands, a problem commonly known as Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD).

What makes accutane induced MGD unique, it seems, is that unlike in most cases of MGD where oil secretion is low because the quality of oil produced is low and so the glands clog, in people like me the amount of oil produced is just lower. This difference is why I'm curious about the experiences other people with accutane induced MGD have had with the standard treatments."

Jordan, if oil comes back after accutane, doesn't it necessarily follow that acne will come back? I am only saying that if accutane works as advertised, keeping away oil, it seems like people may be stuck with dry eyes too...

Yvette-

I think I may start up, on a lower dosage. My concern is this, I know I will experience dry eyes, but how do I know it is not going to be permanent?

Jordan, if oil comes back after accutane, doesn't it necessarily follow that acne will come back? I am only saying that if accutane works as advertised, keeping away oil, it seems like people may be stuck with dry eyes too...

no, the oil comes back, but that doesn't mean the acne will. oil isn't the cause of acne, it just makes it worse. accutane works by correcting the way the pores work (preventing plugs.) so if the pores keep functioning properly the acne won't come back even if the oil does.

It was my understanding that the main way accutane fights acne is by reducing sebum production in sebum glands. I realize it also has other effects by altering DNA transcription and what not (ie, reducing bacteria levels/ helping skin cells slough off regularly), but I understood the sebum production to be the main acne killer, for lack of a better term...

Thus, my concern with the dry eyes/ lips

that isn't the main thing accutane does. and the oil does return in almost all cases (ask a dermatologist.) the oil helps clear the acne initially, but is not what causes the long term remission of acne.

believe me the oil returns. i've been off accutane for a while and my oil levels are normal ( i was never too oily, but i got some on t zone.)

that isn't the main thing accutane does. and the oil does return in almost all cases (ask a dermatologist.) the oil helps clear the acne initially, but is not what causes the long term remission of acne.

believe me the oil returns. i've been off accutane for a while and my oil levels are normal ( i was never too oily, but i got some on t zone.)

Hmmm, well, I could bust out some articles and what not saying that that is what the accutane does, reducing sebum gland size...

For many, accutane seams to buy time, stopping sebum production long enough for nature to take its course...

Anybody else have any input on this? I thought oil coming back= acne coming back, or at least that whast I feel I was seeing form most people on here.

ok. well i'm just telling you from experience. and what my dermatologist told me. accutane stops oil, but only while you are on it.

Thats a good article Jordan... "your question highlights a feature of Accutane which I often bring up to patients before they start taking it: Accutane is a wonderful drug, but it does not guarantee permanent cure. Oil glands "go to sleep" during treatment, but come back to life a couple fo months later, so people are nearly as oily as they were before. Oiliness does not, however, necessarily mean acne.

On the other hand, after Accutane mild treatments which never helped before may be of benefit. Your dermatologist may want you to try any number of topical or oral medications, and you don't have to rule them out even if you found them unhelpful in the past. Another course of Accutane is probably not going to work."

I think the point is that your oiliness may not be as bad as before, as he says "after accutane mild treatments which never helped before may be of benefit"

I think you just may be lucky Jordan in that your return of oliness has not brought about any new acne... (knock on wood)

But we are losing sight of my question... being that even if there is only "some" decrease in oliness, shouldn't this mean dry eyes/ lips indefinatly?

I had dry eyes/lips/nose (and my nether regions) during my entire course. All better now. I think that's the case with the majority of people who experience these side effects... they're expected and go away once you stop taking it. Five months of eye drops and being a chapstick-o-holic didn't prevent me from using the drug!

jordan- You said that your oil came back to normal levels. Did your acne ever come back or are you clear? I was super oily before accutane (am 2 months in) so I feel like if my oil comes back my acne surely will.

Just a bit of an update about my experience... after about a week and a half off of tane... my dry eyes are getting a ton better. I only used artificial tears a few times... I may start back up, seeing as how the dry eyes apparently go away, but Im still hung up on the deperssion thing (see other posts)

currently on my 4th course... oil production does come back...

on my 3rd course last year my arms were really dry... chap lips... i stopped in in nov...

i noticed i had a lot of eye irritation, during the course eyelashes falling out (1 or 2) maybe caused by dryness...

by jan i was skiing in vt every weekend... in temp around 5 to 10F...windy cold and basically no humidty....

the only real problem with dryness i have is taking tane in the winter months, omg that just death...

i guess oil came back, cause i am taking a 4th course....

jordan- You said that your oil came back to normal levels. Did your acne ever come back or are you clear? I was super oily before accutane (am 2 months in) so I feel like if my oil comes back my acne surely will.

no, like i said the oil comes back for basically everyone (usually to a slightly lesser degree than before, but almost as much). but oil does not equal acne.