Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dance_babe66

Best ways to moisturise

Hey there i am seriously contemplating starting the DKR regime soon and do expect dryness, due to memories of using BP years ago and messages on this board.

On trying to find info on a good way to moisturize on the regime I have found lots of advice and reviews scattered about. To try and make something more concise I thought that everyone could place how they personally moisturize on here.

So for example if you follow these headings we should have a good way to see what people are up to and if its working out for them:

HOW I MOISTURIZE:

Products I use:

How I use them:

When I use them:

How well they combat dryness:

Please reply back, cos i think that it shall be a great help! THANKS! :clap:

Did you watch the moisturizer video yet?

Make sure you moisturize at least once a day. Very gently apply the moisturizer to your problem areas with clean hands. If you see some flakes, you can apply a bit more. You can also reapply it during the day if you need to.

If you are consistently flaky even while moisturizing, you may want to add a few extra drops of jojoba oil to your moisturizer. This usually takes care of it.

HOW I MOISTURIZE

Products I use: Desert Essence Jojoba Oil, Dan's moisturizer (trying this out for now, but previously used Complex 15 Therapeutic Face Cream), Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion night version, Nutra E Vitamin E Cream, Banana Boat Ultra Sunblock SPF 30

How I use them: In the morning, I apply jojoba oil all over my face immediately following cleanser, probably 7 drops or so. I let this sit for a few minutes, then I apply BP on top of it. I give the BP a lot of time to dry, at least 15 minutes but usually more like 30 minutes, before applying moisturizer. I spot treat any active pimples with the NHSFL, then I apply the vitamin E cream in my very dryness-prone eye area, and then I apply Dan's moisturizer all over my face, about 1 1/2 pumps worth. After I've rubbed that in, I follow it up with the sunblock.

In the evening, I do the same jojoba oil/BP/spot treat with NHSFL/apply vitamin E cream to my eye area routine. Then I apply about three pumps of NHSFL all over my face (excluding the eye area).

How well they combat dryness: Really well! My skin is generally pretty dry and BP certainly doesn't help, so I need to be pretty aggressive in my moisturizing routine.

HOW I MOISTURIZE:

Products I use: Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion, Eucerin Skin Renewal Day Lotion (could easily be replaced by Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion since Eucerin is discontinued), JOJOBA OIL!

How I use them:After washing my face, when it's somewhere between wet and damp, I apply quite a bit of jojoba oil to the areas I apply BP. By quite a bit, I mean about 3-4 drops for my chin, a few drops for my upper lip/nose, and 3-4 drops for my forehead. I also apply a small amount of Eucerin (or NHSFL) to the same areas after applying BP. At night I do the same thing, however instead of Eucerin I apply a LARGE amount of Cetaphil, as this seems to restore any lost moisture to my skin overnight.

When I use them: Explained in the how section.

How well they combat dryness: Extremely well. Dryness for me was a major issue for months when I started, and I tried countless combinations of products to find a system that worked. Now, my skin never feels tight, it never flakes, and I don't get sunburned :D

I've switched to BHA in the morning, which calls for less (if any) moisturizer anymore, but this is what I did before I made the switch of BP with SA.

HOW I MOISTURIZE:

Products I use:

Dan's Moisturizer

How I use them:

After washing my and applying a full finger of BP, I wait 15-20 minutes for the BP to fully absorb into my face. I apply a nickel sized amount distributed evenly throughout my face. Wait about 5 minutes and follow with Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer Dry Touch sunblock

When I use them:

Morning only

How well they combat dryness:

For the most part it works pretty well. However, I'll have bad days and I'll start flaking by late afternoon.

okay here goes...

when i use bp i moisturise like this...

i use clean & clear oil free dual action moisturiser... i mix it in with a few drops of organic jojoba oil...

i apply the moisturiser approximately 15 to 20 minutes after i have applied the bp.

i also use a LOT of moisturiser.

on its own the moisturiser i have found to be not enough to keep things under control when bp is involved... so in other words the jojoba oil is a must for me when using bp.

good luck.

Thanks so much for these! They're gonna come in so handy when I start on the BP. Im deffinetly gonna pruchase some jojoba oil as this seems to be what everyone swears by. And if my dryness gets too bad some kind of heavy duty moisturizer for the night time.

again thanks and keep them coming!

Vaseline or emu oil work VERY nicely as a heavy duty moisturizer at night for me.

Dan's is very nice; I'd just started using it. I had been using Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizing Lotion SPF 15, but I like Dan's better.

Massaging in a moisturizing lotion is the best way to go as that also helps gently deflake if one happens to be flaky. It's also just good for the skin. :)

Products I use: DHC Deep Cleansing Oil, Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash, Jojoba Oil, Dan's BP Gel, Oil of Olay Complete SPF15 Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin.

My skin produces a lot of oil, but my skin gets easily irritated/dry which result in clogged, inflamed pores. This regimen helps me to treat my acne while keeping my skin moisturized and protected from dryness.

Every morning I cleanse my face with Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash in the shower. Post showering I do not dry my face with a towel, but instead I gently massage one drop of jojoba oil to my face. I massage till it is almost fully absorbed. After a few minutes I apply BP to my face and let that dry for a few minutes before applying my daytime moisturizer.

Before I implemented the jojoba oil into my regimen, my skin became extremely sensitive and dry from using just the BP + moisturizer. Drying my skin out was not helping with getting rid of clogged pores. Therefore the jojoba oil keeps my skin moisturized and protects it from excess drying of the BP. Since there are no active ingredients in jojoba oil, it can not really counteract with the effectiveness of the BP.

In the evening I massage a few pumps of the DHC Deep Cleansing Oil to rid my pores of daily debris, sunscreen, makeup etc. I massage for a few minutes till I feel most of the purities loosened from my skin, and then I proceed with washing my face with lukewarm water. After I rinse my face clean, I use the Neutrogena face wash to cleanse. After cleansing, I massage the jojoba oil into my face till dry, then apply the BP a few minutes after. Since the jojoba oil is moisturizing enough for my face, I do not apply another moisturizer post BP.

Therefore, this is the best way for ME to moisturize my face. Hopefully, this will work for you as well.

HOW I MOISTURIZE:

Products I use: Dan's Moisturizer and Eucerin Moisturizing Cream

How I use them: After applying BP, I wait 5-10 minutes and apply Dan's moisturizing in the morning, and Eucerin at night

When I use them: Dan's at the morning, Eucerin at night

How well they combat dryness: Dan's moisturizer combats dryness pretty well. You just need to use as much until you feel moisturized.

Eucerin is a BEAST at moisturizing. Gets rid of flakes and leaves my skin smooth

where to get jojob oil? i haven't seen 1 at walmart? does cvs has them? my face is filled with brown flakes everywhere right after i ramped up the dosage. i also need a good mousterizer i'v heard complex 15(lotion or cream?), lac-hydrin, dan's(heard bad reviews though), eucerin cream? currently using aveen positively radiant w/ spf 15. well i might stick with it but adding jojoba, where do you find them other than online? help me out pls im just spot trating with bp because the extreme flakiness on my face i dont want to ruin the regime.

where to get jojob oil? i haven't seen 1 at walmart? does cvs has them? my face is filled with brown flakes everywhere right after i ramped up the dosage. i also need a good mousterizer i'v heard complex 15(lotion or cream?), lac-hydrin, dan's(heard bad reviews though), eucerin cream? currently using aveen positively radiant w/ spf 15. well i might stick with it but adding jojoba, where do you find them other than online? help me out pls im just spot trating with bp because the extreme flakiness on my face i dont want to ruin the regime.

i recently realized that the "vitamin shoppe" also sells jojoba oil...and their's is much cheaper than the "dessert essence" brand...which is a great for anyone who buys a lot of dietary supplements (like myself).