Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kaylaann

EDM+Benefits high beam

I have been trying to achieve a more natural, dewy look for a while now. I love EDM and most of the time I love how matte my skin looks when wearing it- but lately I have been trying to develop an everyday makeup look that is more sheer and light in feel and appearance. Sometimes I go overboard with EDM and apply so much and although my complexion looks flawless I wanted to find a way to distract focus from breakouts without covering up too much that my skin cant breath during the day.

So today I was getting ready for a party and since I had broken out recently I didn't feel very motivated to put a lot of heavy makeup on, I decided to whip out my Benefit high beam (which I had only used for special occasions before my experiment today) and my makeup has never looked so natural and fresh!

This is what I did to achieve it:

1) exfoliated with the aspirin mask for 5 minutes.

2) rinsed and patted my face dry.

3) applied my new aveeno ultra calming moisturizer (which I am loving by the way even though I haven't been crazy about other aveeno moisturizers in the past-this one rocks!)

4) since I new I would be in the sun I applied my lancaster spf 30 soothing lotion.

5) I applied a tiny bit of 2% BHA gel to my active ones and let that dry.

5) I applied my philosophy primer and allowed it to dry for 5 minutes

6) I then dusted a VERY small amount of my EDM foundation all over my face.

7) I concealed any active pimples with my EDM foundation.

8) I applied a very minimal amount of my "waffle cone" bronzer on my cheeks, forehead, nose, and chin.

9) I curled my lashes and applied mascara (2 coats)

10) I then applied "high beam" from benefit to my cheek bones, near my tear ducts, and my brow bones and lightly dabbed it into my skin.

I thought it was important to include my skincare routine because I believe it had a lot to do with why my makeup turned out so beautifully today. I am so broken out and I honestly think I look great today because of this. I have realized recently that even if I don't apply much foundation-if I apply too much blush or bronzer my makeup looks just as fake. after trying this minimalist approach to doing my makeup I have decided to only use blush on nights out and never during the day. I think some people have alot skill with blush, but I simply can never apply the perfect amount-even if I apply very little for a day look I still look dollish and fake! Blush looks a lot more flattering at night because the dark diminishes the potency of the pigments we wear-so blush is a much better idea than bronzer for a night time look. Just my opinion though.

I just wanted to share this makeup routine because after doing this I felt so pretty even though I am breaking terribly right now-which is just unheard of for me. I am sure many of you can relate to doing up your face and looking in the mirror and thinking "I still look like shit , but now I just look like fake shit". This is the first time in months I have applied makeup and felt it really looked great and that I looked much better than before the application.

I really think the reason is a combination of things: first of all the very small amount of makeup I used and how I minimized how much bronzer I applied really helped me to look more natural and not like I am hiding in my makeup. But to be honest I think the High beam made a huge difference in the overall appearance of my makeup. Before applying it my face was completely matte and after applying it looked so dewy, fresh, and natural. Like you could see my skin glowing from underneath my makeup.

I have had high beam and moon beam for a while but never really understood the purpose until now. I like moon beam too, but the pink pigment in the high beam really compliments my skin tone. I will definitely repurchase high beam when I run out. I am going to replicate this look everyday now! I hope this wasn't boring and that it helped someone.

Yay, my makeup is going to look this good from now on!!!!

I have never used eye bright, it looks really nice on the website! It has a similar overall effect as high beam in that it brightens up your skin. Hmmm, maybe next payday I will have to pay benefit a visit and get some fun stuff (woohoo this thursday). Does it really brighten up your eyes like it says it does? I don't have dark circles but the coloring in the skin around my eyes is very flat. I wonder how complementary this would be for blue eyes :think:

Oh yeah another question I have for you Jai is if you have ever tried Bene-tint? If you have what did you think of it? And what other benefit products do you recommend?

i use benefit's eyebright and absolutely love it! i use it on the inner and outer corners of my eyes, under my brows, and a little underneath my eyes (outlining my eye socket and only going about halfway starting in the inner corner.) it's awesome stuff! moon beam and 10 are also great benefit products.

So I went to the Benefit counter at my local Macy's and splurged on two items: the Galactic shield in 02, and "that gal" brightening face primer (this is just a secondary primer-I am still loyal to my philosophy one). I have wanted to find a concealer that also treats blemishes for a long time, and I have wanted "that gal" since it came out.

Review of Galactic shield:

The color match is dead on, which I was surprised by since there are only three colors. I like the fact that its a pencil-its easy to apply, but I find it looks a lot more natural if you blend it in with a brush rather than a finger. Its 2% salicylic acid which is fairly strong compared to other treatment concealers I have found. What really turned me onto it was that there are only a few ingredients and they are all non-comodonic and pretty much the same as what my EDM's contain. This concealer lasted all day on monday while I was in my classes (almost 7 hours). When I got home my makeup still look fresh and nice (total first for me). Overall I really like this product, I think it will be really handy on days I am on campus all day or at work-I can easily duck into a bathroom and reapply if I need to, and I wont feel guilty about it (because It will help treat breakouts not cause them).

Review of "that gal" brightening face primer:

From the moment I opened the package and smelled it I was sold. It smells like heaven! It applies very easy to apply and again the applicator is very convenient for on-the-go application. I think its more of a color corrector-it doesn't smooth out the texture of your skin like many primers do-it doesn't have a thick consistency like my philosophy one does (I like that my philosophy primer is thick because it smooths everything out and fills in my pores). Despite this, I definitely see its purpose. after I applied it I could see that it evened out my complexion, but it wasn't until I applied my concealer and foundation that I could see the full effects. My face looked like it was glowing and felt so so soft! I noticed that same "glowy" appearance all day when I casually checked in the mirror to see how it was holding up. I love this primer! My makeup looked flawless all day, and the glow it gave me made my makeup look much more natural. This isn't a product I would use everyday since its a bit pricey for how much you get, but if I was going out to dinner or a party I would apply this for sure.

Overall in the two days I tested these products I felt my makeup has never looked better. I really love Benefit products-some are just unnecessary (for instance shadows, lipstick, blush, and mascara) but there are other products they sell that I can't find at my local walgreens or riteaid for 5 bucks (high beam "skin brightening serum", benetint "liquid rouge", That Gal "brightening face primer"). I am usually extremely frugal about makeup, but once I saw what high beam did for me I looked for other products of theirs that could create a similar effect on my whole face not just my cheek bones or on my eyes. I want to look glowy and fresh and bright all the time, and if a product can help me feel beautiful and confident all the time-than I am going to get it!

So on another note: My regimen is finally giving me the results I have wanted for so long-I only have one small active pimple right now that is almost gone. My skin looks so good I am so happy right now! I have noticed that when my skin looks good I am way less stressed out! Hopefully this continues. Hope this wasn't boring!

Oh yeah another question I have for you Jai is if you have ever tried Bene-tint? If you have what did you think of it? And what other benefit products do you recommend?

You don't need to buy high beam or eye bright. Just buy a nice pale pink-white linen tone eye shadow or eyeliner and use that. I bought some cream pinkywhite shimmer eyeshadow by Revlon for around 4.00 and it works just as well for a lot less price. And no sharpening of a pencil... :D