Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
metallica1

started eating bad foods

ok so my skin is clearing up(actually i have no pimples left, but i still have a few scars) thanks to 2 months of b5. the last 4 days i have eaten: 1 pizza and half a bar of chocolate, a butter chicken curry w/ chapati. a chicken tikka masala w/ chapati, and another pizza. the curries are very creamy and obviously the rice isnt great for the skin.

but, my skin is still the way it was a week ago:D, i think the thing that helps the most, is immidiatly after the meal i take an extra 4 or 5 chromium pills,(as well as my b5 and other supplements), and i think these really help metabolising all the simple carbohydrates(like rice). so they dont effect my insulin:D

so happy, i can eat nice food again!!! :dance: ...was getting a bit bored of living off beans and brocolli

sorry to burst your bubble but acne does not form in a week. If indeed you were to have a negative reaction it would not be visible until around 2.5-3.5 weeks subsequent. This is a rough estimate as I can't recall the precise times in the acne growth cycle. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can correct me if I am wrong. That admission aside, I am 100% certain that a break out takes more than week to form. I hope you don't break out, but you are not out of the woods yet.

Today I went to my Uncles house and after trying to eat healthy, today i ate a few slices of cake. It's been 3 hours since and I cannot see any difference in my skin so how long should i take till i see a breakout, and how long do these outbreaks last?

I'll keep youse posted on whether I break out.

4 days isn't enough time for a breakout to form, IMO. Personally, when i eat food that doesn't agree with me and my skin, it can take about 1-2 weeks to form breakouts. You have to wait longer to make a determination.

If you are treating your acne correctly then quite honestly you shouldn't break out from food. I've done the whole "avoiding junkfood" routine and although it helped some I didn't see any major changes overall. Most people don't get clear from changing their diet, so eat what you feel is right. Not one dermatologist I've been to said to avoid certain foods. The last thing you want to do is feel guilty everytime you eat something that's marginally unhealthy. Just don't overdo it obviously, and most importantly don't forget the vitamins

Also, if there was an actual study done that linked acne to food then I would like to see it. Most of the websites that link acne to food are not credible in the least bit.

If you are treating your acne correctly then quite honestly you shouldn't break out from food. I've done the whole "avoiding junkfood" routine and although it helped some I didn't see any major changes overall. Most people don't get clear from changing their diet, so eat what you feel is right. Not one dermatologist I've been to said to avoid certain foods. The last thing you want to do is feel guilty everytime you eat something that's marginally unhealthy. Just don't overdo it obviously, and most importantly don't forget the vitamins

Also, if there was an actual study done that linked acne to food then I would like to see it. Most of the websites that link acne to food are not credible in the least bit.

Well, to contradict the prior post, diet changes completely cleared my acne and not a single thing prescribed or advised by any of the 5 derms I saw for years ever helped. And now, it's been clear for over a year now.

And except for in the case of allergies and intolerances, acne takes time to come to the surface. Your skin might be getting oilier though.

ok so my skin is clearing up(actually i have no pimples left, but i still have a few scars) thanks to 2 months of b5. the last 4 days i have eaten: 1 pizza and half a bar of chocolate, a butter chicken curry w/ chapati. a chicken tikka masala w/ chapati, and another pizza. the curries are very creamy and obviously the rice isnt great for the skin.

but, my skin is still the way it was a week ago:D, i think the thing that helps the most, is immidiatly after the meal i take an extra 4 or 5 chromium pills,(as well as my b5 and other supplements), and i think these really help metabolising all the simple carbohydrates(like rice). so they dont effect my insulin:D

so happy, i can eat nice food again!!! :dance: ...was getting a bit bored of living off beans and brocolli

Dude be careful with 4 to 5 chromium pills, they aren't a joke. If they are 200 mg then 3 is fine, but if it's 500 mg pills, you should stick to just 1. And if you take two or three (200 mg) be sure to split it through the day.

Good luck

Acne is not a disease on it's own. It is a sign that the body has a health problem, and inspite of these problems it does not always appear. People who don't get acne still have the health problems associated with all the bad food. You will never be able to enjoy "nice food" without suffering some consequences. A body in good health should have tastes that favour healthier foods anyway. Sweets and fast food are addictive.

actually acne is a disease on it's own. there can be factors leading to the disease. it's the most common skin disease. from the medical encyclopedia:

Definition

Acne is a common skin disease characterized by pimples on the face, chest, and back. It occurs when the pores of the skin become clogged with oil, dead skin cells, and bacteria.

"there can be factors leading to the disease"

thats what I meant...

Though I more specifically meant there are always factors leading to the disease. It's not a natural occurance of growing up.

And to the poster that started this thread - I agree with the others who say that acne takes awhile to form. Apart from allergic reactions, your diet will not impact your skin that quickly. It may take a month or two for any effects to show up (if they even do). If you are increasing your intake of dairy or iodine-laden products, then you may very well get an acne flare in a couple months. If you aren't eating any of these products, then your diet experiment may have little to no impact on your acne at all.

There are at least 3 studies that show acne is linked to food. Here is a good summary of these studies: http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles/Corda...y%20Reviews.pdf

The research supporting the paleo diet's impact on acne is weak at best. The two dietary factors that havebeen linked to acne in controlled research is iodine and dairy (and dairy make actually be problematic because of the iodine in contains). There have been a couple of questionable studies that examine the effects of diets like the paleo diet (diets that are supposed to be low-glycemic). There are 2 main problems with these studies: at least one of the major studies was funded by the meat and poultry industry in Australia - not exactly an unbiased group since the low-glycemic diet is also high in meat products. Also, diet is incredibly complicated. When comparing the low-glycemic diets to "typical teenage diets", you are changing a lot of diet related variables, so it is nearly impossible to pin any effects on a single dietary factor. It may not be the fact that they saw improvements due to the diet being low-glycemic, but it may also be simply due to the fact that the diet was lower in iodine (since the typical diet often contains salty snacks, dairy, salted french fries, etc.)

There are at least 3 studies that show acne is linked to food. Here is a good summary of these studies: http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles/Corda...y%20Reviews.pdf

The research supporting the paleo diet's impact on acne is weak at best. The two dietary factors that havebeen linked to acne in controlled research is iodine and dairy (and dairy make actually be problematic because of the iodine in contains). There have been a couple of questionable studies that examine the effects of diets like the paleo diet (diets that are supposed to be low-glycemic). There are 2 main problems with these studies: at least one of the major studies was funded by the meat and poultry industry in Australia - not exactly an unbiased group since the low-glycemic diet is also high in meat products. Also, diet is incredibly complicated. When comparing the low-glycemic diets to "typical teenage diets", you are changing a lot of diet related variables, so it is nearly impossible to pin any effects on a single dietary factor. It may not be the fact that they saw improvements due to the diet being low-glycemic, but it may also be simply due to the fact that the diet was lower in iodine (since the typical diet often contains salty snacks, dairy, salted french fries, etc.)

wow, i didnt expect so many responses, maybe just one or two saying i shouldnt eat pizza or something, lol...looks like i started a debate. well seems everyone is saying that it takes a while for the pimples to from, so theres something to look forward too...

ill post again in about 3 or 4 days to tell u if my skins got worse..yet :confused:

OKay .... to everyone who says food doesnt affect acne.... GAH! LOL it drives me NUTS when peopel say that because i KNOW it affects my acne.... And if bad food doesnt affect your acne... trust me it's affecting SOMETHING.... Just think of your health guys... it's best to eat healthy anyway! my biggest thing is avoiding dairy... try it..... but you have to be patient guys.

hehe i did this once, I thought ok its been 6 months since I've eaten anything processed and I need to put on some weight.

So first weekend I ate a little bit of bread, some party snacks, some chick drinks, and about 6 beers-> skin didn't have much of an issue.

Come next weekend, I had 4 slices of pizza, some salty tequila drink I made up, champagne, sushi, and chinese over 3 nights.

Bam! All my closed uninfected pores became inflamed and got a few pustules/ the worst cyst I've ever had. The right side of my face which I was always proud that was relatively clear broke out in about 9 pimples over the next week etc etc.

Basicly diet=acne=true, whether its allergies or whatevs I don't know but wow! no bit of junk food is worth having acne

Hmm, i guess it really depends on the person. See I have some junkfood now and then.. but I don't really breakout from it. The main food that breaks me out is milk.. in its pure form.. not in the form of ice cream or anything... just in its normal form.

Other than that.. food doesn't really affect my skin... after several months of observation.. I came to a conclusion that chemicals killed my skin and gave me acne... once I got off the chemicals... after some time, my acne went away (well mostly).