Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Steelers7895

Accutane Questions

Hey everyone, on monday I am going to the dermatologist to get a prescription for accutane... I am positive she will say I need it and I will be put on it.. but I have several questions I was hoping some of you could answer...

1. Once she says yes i am prescribing you accutane, what happens from there? Do I get a bloodtest that same day? or wait a week and get a bloodtest?

2. After the bloodtest how long before I get on accutane?

3. I am a male 6'1 , 145 pounds skinny.. what dosage should i get?

4. Am I going to lose my hair?

5. How long will I have to be on it , how long are the cycles?

and last is will I be able to play basketball and do my daily running while on accutane?

oops one more thing.. while on accutane what do you do with your face? just wash it with something gentle like cetaphil and moisturize? or do you still have to use acne stuff?

Also , why isnt there accutane support groups.. like there are drug and alchohol support groups? I think I would love to be in one cause this is a big thing for me.. I said I would never take this drug for the past 5 years ive said that. But its finally become too much

Sorry for the questions but thanks for helping guys

Hi, I'm a female so I'm not sure how different this is for us. But I live in the US and my docter said you have to wait 30 days before getting on accutane (some sort of waiting period with ipledge) and you get the bloodwork done before he can write the perscription. The ipledge rules are really wacko and you have to do a test and fill the perscription within a certain amount of time or you get bumped from the program and go without medication for a month. But, if you just read up on what to do and make sure you do it, then you will be fine. Buy aquaphor for your lips and either cetaphil face wash or aveeno ultra calming. Also make sure you moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. I am just in the very beginning of my treatment, but I have lots of friends who have done it and given me the scoop. Your dosage depends on your docter (some like to start you out low on either 20-40 mg) and then increase with weight. Others just go strictly off your weight. Typically the treatment is 6 months and my docter encouraged me to continue working out as they check your cholesterol monthly. Good luck with accutane! It is not going to be an easy next couple months, but it will be worth it in the end. Just have to keep your eye on the goal (or atleast that is what I'm doing). Take care!

Thanks for the reply lulu:)

After reading that, I feel like i am ready to finally do this and get on the road to clear skin.

im excited and nervous at the same time!

oh, i see. i'm from pittsburgh too, i still live here.

oh, and don't worry to much about accutane, your doctor will decide the dose. you will be on it for about 20 weeks. and you can play basketball and run while on accutane, but it may tire you out more quickly, especially when you first start your course.

awesome, thx for the info jordan...thats what i was most worried about because that is what i do to relieve stress and have fun etc...i cant wait to get this shitty phase of my life over with and be back to my old self!

I'm a male and just got prescribe Rotret (accutane). I had to get a blood test for an independent lab after my dermatologist prescribed accutane and then I picked up the prescription the next day. I think only females have to wait 30 days after the blood test.

Wow, only 1 day... u got the results back from ur blood test in 1 day? i always thought it took like a week. what exactly do you they take the bloodtest for to check?

also i have never had a bloodtest before in my life.. how much blood are they gonna take?

they just take one test tube. they are checking for triglyceride and liver enzyme levels.

Good luck with this...I said I would never take the drug as well...that was when I was 16...now I'm 21 and wishing I'd taken it sooner now that it is all said and done. I really hope it works out well for you. Cetaphil is an awesome face wash, its what I used. Moisturizing your face as well as your body is a key factor. Eucerin calming cream is great for an all over body lotion, because it calms that itchy skin that accutane has a way of producing, especially arms and legs, and it also isn't greasy and is unscented ;) As far a facial moisturizer, I used vasaline, but since then, vasaline has changed their skin care line, and doesn't make it anymore, but I've heard great things about Purpose. Normally, all topical regimens are stopped when starting acctuane. But it varies case by case, normally, it's best not too, because accutane already is harsh on skin, and topical with just make it worse. Also, SPF is important while on accutane, even if you've never burned before, accutane makes your skin so much more sensitive in sun. If the face lotion you choose to use, doesn't have at least spf 15, you need to use something seperate.

Artifical Tears are good for some people, they are just like normal eye drops, but better. Some people's eyes have a tendency to become very very dry and painful...sandpaper painful, and the artifical tears help loads! Mine was only bad the first few months. Vitamin A is a big no no while on accutane, so unless your derm says different, don't take a multi-vitamin if you do. Fish Oil is good to take because it helps with joint pain, which can be severe at times, and since accutane is so harsh on your liver, pain killers are a bad idea, and fish oil does a pretty good job. Personally I took Omega 3, 6, 9 (fish oil, flaxseed oil, and borage oil)...its a combo that helps with joint pain, can prevent helping with the hair loss, and keeps nails strong...lol which for me was a big deal..lol I wanted to keep my hair and nails...lol and I did. And it has many other things that are good for you, heart health, as well as keeping you cholesterol in good check, which is important on accutane, because it can cause it to go sky high for no reason other than the meds. Vitamin E is good, good for the skin. While on accutane, you don't produce new collegen, so scars are more easily formed, or may appear worse than they are, but good new to this, when accutane is done, you get all new collegen, and previous scars look better than before accutane :) Good chapstick is important as well, your lips will become very dry and crack...and burn like they are onfire! lol I used Aveeno Medicated, and its the best ever...I did and will always swear by it. Most to all of this can be found at walmart or a drugstore like Rite Aid or Walgreens or Cv...

Okay...so thats the end of my book...lol Just trying to help. I wish you the best of luck again, and as a pre-warning, I-Pledge is a pain in the tushie...well maybe not so much for you because you're a guy...but just in case...you're warned...lol :cool:

Take Care, Good Luck, and feel free to email me with any questions!

~Jessica