Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PercussiveEric

Need some quick advice for certain pimples

I'm finally starting to get clear again. Maybe I'm growing out of it, who knows. But does anyone have any tips for zits that just keep reappearing in the same place EVERY TIME?

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=62qbzar&s=1

That probably means the comedone (the core of the pimple) is still under the skin. Sometimes what will happen is that a comedone gets inflamed, then the body or medication fights off the bacteria and inflamation and the spot goes down, but the small core of the pimple is still in the pore. It can then get re-inflamed later on (if the follicle ruptures due to the pressure from the comdone, more bacteria builds up, or something else such as stress triggers inflamation). Until the core works its way out, the spots may just get inflamed over and over again.

One thing you can do is get them extracted by a skin care professional if the spots really bother you. If you do this - try to find a derm, medical esthetician or an esthetician trained in treating acne prone skin. They can extract the core of the pimple so it will be less likely to come back again.

What, if any, acne meds are you using right now? There are some medications that help unclog pores and prevent future comedone formation (glycolic, mandelic, or salicylic acid; retinoids, azelaic acid)

I'm finally starting to get clear again. Maybe I'm growing out of it, who knows. But does anyone have any tips for zits that just keep reappearing in the same place EVERY TIME?

That probably means the comedone (the core of the pimple) is still under the skin. Sometimes what will happen is that a comedone gets inflamed, then the body or medication fights off the bacteria and inflamation and the spot goes down, but the small core of the pimple is still in the pore. It can then get re-inflamed later on (if the follicle ruptures due to the pressure from the comdone, more bacteria builds up, or something else such as stress triggers inflamation). Until the core works its way out, the spots may just get inflamed over and over again.

One thing you can do is get them extracted by a skin care professional if the spots really bother you. If you do this - try to find a derm, medical esthetician or an esthetician trained in treating acne prone skin. They can extract the core of the pimple so it will be less likely to come back again.

What, if any, acne meds are you using right now? There are some medications that help unclog pores and prevent future comedone formation (glycolic, mandelic, or salicylic acid; retinoids, azelaic acid)

Right now I'm only using cetaphil and a b complex vitamin.

I'm really struggling to find a product that also medicates but doesn't dry, as I have very sensitive skin.

I'm really struggling to find a product that also medicates but doesn't dry, as I have very sensitive skin.

What have you tried that has dried you out? One medication you might consider is Finacea (usually marketed for rosacea, but was originally an acne med). It contains azelaic acid, which unclogs pores, kills bacteria, reduces redness and inflamation. It is generally found to be less irritating than retinoid or BP. Its a prescription med.

What have you tried that has dried you out? One medication you might consider is Finacea (usually marketed for rosacea, but was originally an acne med). It contains azelaic acid, which unclogs pores, kills bacteria, reduces redness and inflamation. It is generally found to be less irritating than retinoid or BP. Its a prescription med.

awesome, thanks I'll ask my derm next time i'm there.

anyone else have any advice for spot treatment also?

Topical recommendations (non BP):

Serious Skin Care Dry Lo Acne Medicated Spot Treatment (click on "More Info" for additional details). Sulfur, alcohol and salicylic acid are all effective in treating blemishes. Bye-Bye Blemish is similar but without the salicylic acid.

I also use Proactiv Solution Refining Mask contains sulfur, too, and is effective at diminishing the blemish. Not as irritating as the Dry Lo, but also works slower.

Serious Skin Care Glycolic Mask It stings slightly on application, but the glycolic and lactic acids will help exfoliate the blemish, drying it out and drawing out the impurities.

For each of the above, dot the product onto the blemish whenever you're at home and overnight. Leave on and wash off when going out or in the morning. The Dry Lo works the fastest, but for each product more than one application may be required.

Topical recommendations (non BP):

Serious Skin Care Dry Lo Acne Medicated Spot Treatment (click on "More Info" for additional details). Sulfur, alcohol and salicylic acid are all effective in treating blemishes. Bye-Bye Blemish is similar but without the salicylic acid.

I also use Proactiv Solution Refining Mask contains sulfur, too, and is effective at diminishing the blemish. Not as irritating as the Dry Lo, but also works slower.

Serious Skin Care Glycolic Mask It stings slightly on application, but the glycolic and lactic acids will help exfoliate the blemish, drying it out and drawing out the impurities.

For each of the above, dot the product onto the blemish whenever you're at home and overnight. Leave on and wash off when going out or in the morning. The Dry Lo works the fastest, but for each product more than one application may be required.

Thanks for all your help, I hope my skin really looks clearer and i'm not just fooling myself