Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I can't decide whether or not makeup is making me break out? I just read The Snow Queen's thread under the Mild and Moderate Acne Forum and she stated that products that say "non-comedogenic", "oil-free" and and "won't clog pores" can basically just be lying since they're not regulated. This is going to make the makeup aisle look like even more of a jungle!

As a result, I wanted to know what I could use for my acne-prone skin. I realized, however, that (duh) I'm not the only one who has this problem. So, I'm interested in what makeup those with acne-prone skin are using, for the benefit of everyone. I know a lot of people here love EM (shout out to the cult! haha) and Colorstay is pretty popular, too. There are a lot of makeup products out there though, so...!

What do you want your makeup to do?

What makeup do you love? Pros? Cons?

Which do you dislike?

Perhaps the most important question...does it make you breakout?

Finally, if it's not too much of a problem, what products do you use daily?

I use Mineral Basics. Love it. Doesn't cause me to break out. Covers well, looks natural., physical sunscreen. The cons are that you can only get it online unless you live like in California. Doesn't look good with BP either, but I stopped using BP.

The only thing as far as make up and breakouts with me is when they use a chemical sunscreen. These make me break out horribly.

Daily I use Aqua glycolic, Lac Hydrin Five moisturizer, occasionally ZNP bar soap, and Basic Minerals. Hope that helped.

I want makeup that can at least even out my skintone. I've become pretty comfortable with my redmarks showing, but on some special days I want them gone! I also want makeup that doesn't accentuate my flakiness on those bad-skin days (even though I can fix that rather easily) O_O and I don't want it to go on cakey or the other extreme, too runny...

Foundations:

I love Colorstay for Normal/Dry Skin at the moment because it's the only actual foundation that matches my skintone EVER (color: buff)!, but also claims to be oil free. I also love it cause it doesn't rub off as easily as some other makeup I've tried. HUGE pet peeve. On days where my skin is really dry I mix it with some DK lotion, as much as I see fit and I don't apply powder on the flakey areas.

On days that I'm in a rush I use Covergirl's tinted moisturizer, CG Smoothers in light to medium. It has spf 15 and claims to not clog pores and is oil-free. Obviously, since it's just a tinted moisturizer it does not have great coverage but I do find it evening out my skin tone, like the red areas next to my nose.

Concealer:

Not too picky as long as it claims to be non-comedogenic. Hard to find colors that actually cover and not to mention some people say to go lighter and others say to go darker and then there are the different colors. Personally, I mix the concealer with some foundation and it then gives me the right color (foundation) and the right, waxy texture to stay in place (concealer).

Powder:

Oy....powder. I find myself hating powders more and more, cause I hate looking like I have makeup on but I hate not wearing any lol. I would like to just try a translucent powder but as of now I use either Neutrogena's Mineral Sheers, Neutrogena's Healthy Skin loose powder or (my newest purchase) Colorstay's pressed powder.

I can't say I like any of them to the point that I can recommend any cause, as I said, not a fan of powders.

I have some EM foundation powder to try though!

Anyway, I digress, I think the Colorstay has great color for my skin, the Neutrogena mineral powder is...well, sheer, and the Neurtrogena loose powder works pretty well too.

Blush:

Just tried some EM blush....amazing. I love how it went on, although I'm not particulary picky with blush and bronzer as long as it's not super noticable.

Colorstay foundation

EM blush

Colorstay pressed powder, Neutrogena loose powder

Covergirl's CG Smoothers

Dislikes:

Clinique's foundations (I find the tones to be...ridiculous, don't see many people with orange skintones...other than Lindsay Lohan with a bad tan job)

Covergirl's foundations (have yet to find a suiting tone) haven't tried trublend though...anyone break out from it?

Break outs:

I really am not sure if my makeup makes me break out. I don't wear the same things day to day so it's hard to tell. Also, my skin has cleared quite well with the DKR so I know makeup wasn't the only or main cause of my acne. However, I'm gettin the tiny, skin-colored, bumps and I think any of makeup may be causing these.

Current makeup:

Colorstay foundation mixed with lotion (with clean fingers) + Colorstay pressed powder (applied with brush) + CG or EM blush or Neutrogena Healthy Skin Blends bronzer + eye makeup

OR

CG tinted moisturzier + any of the powders above + CG or EM blush or Neutrogena Healthy Skin Blends bronzer + eye makeup

PS: I keep my brushes clean

What do you want your makeup to do? I just need my makeup to cover cover cover. When my skin gets better, i'll probably just want my makeup to even out my skin tone... but for now, great coverage is the absolutely most important.

What makeup do you love? Pros? Cons? REVLON COLORSTAY. Pros? It covers greatly and stays put aaaaaaaalllll day and night. Cons? The coloring is a little off :dry: I can make it work though.. I wish they came out with lighter more neutral shades. Also, the smell is a little weird.. and I hate how I can just wash it off simply with some soap.. I have to use a good makeup remover and a washcloth.

Which do you dislike? I've tried so many foundations... and if I disliked them, it was probably because I didn't get enough coverage or it didn't last long. I don't remember the exact foundations that have broken me out in the past... but i'm pretty sure max factor's pan stik gave me a few extra zits.

Perhaps the most important question...does it make you breakout? I've been back and forth with this question. For a long while, I was convinced revlon colorstay did not break me out... and then I was convinced that it was breaking me out... and then I was back to being convinced that it wasn't breaking me out, etc. Now, I don't think it breaks me out at all, as long as I wash it off good and don't wear it for 20 hours :P

Finally, if it's not too much of a problem, what products do you use daily? I'll just say my face products- Revlon Colorstay foundation, mary kay concealer, physicians formula loose mineral powder, my grandma's loose mineral blush.... and sometimes if i'm feeling saucy, I use physician's formula shimmer strips as a bronzer/blush.

What do you want your makeup to do? - look natural while giving great coverage. provide an additional SPF. minimize oil production throughout the day. basically, i like for it to enhance what i already have naturally.

What makeup do you love? - Everyday Minerals, BeneFit (what i have i :wub: which is BeneFit Eye Bright and the Big Beautiful Eyes kit)

Pros? - minimal ingredients, awesome coverage, lots of shade choices, exceptional value

Cons? - just that i don't have enuff $$ to buy as much as i want whenever i want

Which do you dislike? - Physician's Formula Le Velvet Film

Perhaps the most important question...does it make you breakout? - nope :dance:

Finally, if it's not too much of a problem, what products do you use daily? - as far as makeup goes, Everyday Minerals for foundation, blush, concealer, and bronzer. Eye makeup varies depending on my mood but i always use Maybelline Intense XXL mascara. My daily cleanser is Purity Made Simple by philosophy, i moisturize with Hope in a Jar by philosophy, spot treat with On a Clear Day Blemish Serum by philosophy and my primer is The Present Skin Perfector by philosophy. as you can see, with exception to makeup, i'm a total philosophy girl.

What do you want your makeup to do? Even out my skin tone without looking unnatural, disguise any pimples and/or problem areas I may have.

What makeup do you love? Pros? Cons? Just last week I made the switch to EDM and I love it because it looks really nice and it doesn't take very long to apply.

Which do you dislike? Covergirl TruBlend in the pump form. It made me break out really bad the last time I used it and looked greasy. I also dislike Neutrogena Mineral Sheers.

Perhaps the most important question...does it make you breakout? It only does if I don't wash my face thoroughly.

Finally, if it's not too much of a problem, what products do you use daily? Makeup-wise I only wear EDM in fair intensive, their sunlight concealer for my under eye circles, and I also use Maybelline Full 'n Soft mascara. My daily routine as far as face products go is in my siggy.

What do you want your makeup to do? I want my makeup to cover all my red marks and active pimples while still looking somewhat natural. I want my makeup to still look fine after 8 hours at work. I agree with Mandy in that coverage is most important to me.

What makeup do you love? Pros? Cons? I love everyday minerals with a fiery passion! Pros: It provides just the right amount of coverage without looking like a mask, it keeps my face matte all day, and it has not caused me to break out. I can easily use topicals underneath it (I use a clear BHA acid gel that helps keep the makeup glued to my face+treats active pimples yay!). There is a broad range of colors and they also have a great range of foundation formula's that are compatible with every skin type. I consider them to be pretty damn cheap also ($8 for a jar of foundation that lasts me 6 months).

cons: nothing really-I kinda wish they would put more thought into the containers but its really not a biggie for me.

Which do you dislike? To be honest with you I haven't used traditional makeup in about 2.5 years now and I honestly don't remember in detail all the things I tried and used. I remember I did use a number of physicians formula products and I remember my face looking like a greasy mess! I used their concealer sticks and I remember it would never completely cover any pimple. All the tradition makeup products I used broke me out. MAC is the devil to my skin. A big no no. I will never buy any liquid makeup ever again-I honestly don't see the point-my makeup gives me just as much coverage and it doesn't break me out-and it doesn't look greasy. Screw traditional makeup, yeah some people are lucky and their skin can handle it but mine just can't, plain and simple. Makeup is fun but not worth risking a huge breakout over.

Perhaps the most important question...does it make you breakout? no no and no-and its the only makeup that hasn't for me.

In the morning I wash my face with plain ol' cold water and pat it dry. Then I apply aveeno calming moisturizer. I wait a minute or two and I then apply a very tiny amount of 2% BHA to any active zits I might have or I just lightly apply it to areas I normally breakout. I wait until it dries and apply philosophy "the present clear makeup" (my primer). I wait about 5 minutes (during which I am doing my hair) and then apply my EDM. This includes a light dusting of foundation, concealer (I use my foundation for this), bronzer, on oily days I apply the %100 silk dust, then I curl my lashes and apply Loreal "original voluminous" mascara. Thats what I do for work and school everyday, but if I am going out I apply shadow and sometimes liner.

:wavey:

What do your makeup to do? - Give great coverage, cover scars w/o looking or feeling heavy and mask-like, provide SPF.

What makeup do you love? - Everyday Minerals, Aubrey Nicole, and MAC eye shadows and eyeliner, YSL mascara

Pros? - Minimal ingredients, great coverage, inexpensive, products last a long time

Cons? - That I didn't switch to them sooner!

Which do you dislike? - MAC Studio Fix foundation...great coverage, but it was breakout city for me :cry: . Bare Minerals/ Bare Escentuals...WORST, MOST OVER RATED CRAP EVER :doh: !

Perhaps the most important question...does it make you breakout? - No, not at all! :hifive:

Finally, if it's not too much of a problem, what products do you use daily? I just switched to Aubery Nicole concealer and I'm loving it...great coverage, controls oil well. I use Everyday Minerals foundation, and I will NEVER switch! I also use Everyday Minerals blushes, bronzers, and finishing powders and they're all great. I also use MAC eyeshadows because they are the best...amazing colors, last all day, and great color pay off. And I top it off w/ me YSL waterproof mascara. :catdance:

LOL, I love emoticons!

cover up redmarks and give me that flawless look

I am currently using liquid foundation and blush. If time permitting and I feel up to the effort, I also use eye makeup. Pro is it doesn't break me out and my skin looks flawless every day. Con is I have wash the foundation brush every day, which is a pain because the brand I use has the staying power of spray paint!

Which do you dislike?

I hate powders that feel heavy and gritty on my face. I especially hate makeup that feels cakey

I find that powders, especially mineral powders actually makes me break out more. I hadn't tried the traditional talc powders, but I'm not doing too well with the latest mineral powders I've gotten. The only thing that didn't break me out was Joppa but they are now too heavy for my clear face, even if I use a very tiny bit.

I use Lancome mousse clarte to wash my face twice a day. I moisturize with Complex 15 at night. I use Lancome Adaptive liquid foundation every day. and I use Pond's exfoliating clean sweep makeup removing towlette with cucumber extract to remove my makeup.

I do believe that my skin has seemed a little on the dry side for a while-but I recently switched to a new moisturizer+ Ive been moisturizing like crazy+ I have been drinking TONS of water. So now I am not so dry-honestly I would prefer to look+feel matte than look oily and nasty. All you need to do is wear a good moisturizer during the day and at night and wear a primer over your moisturizer before you apply your EDM. Once I switched moisturizers and included a primer in my routine I haven't experienced any dryness from my EDM. Any dryness I experience is due to my use of topicals which I have recently switched to using MA and SA on alternate days so in the first week or two of introducing the MA I experienced dryness and flaking. My point: it could be your topicals that are drying you out as well. I would just moisturize a lot, drink plenty of water, and use a primer over your moisturizer before applying your makeup.

I do believe that my skin has seemed a little on the dry side for a while-but I recently switched to a new moisturizer+ Ive been moisturizing like crazy+ I have been drinking TONS of water. So now I am not so dry-honestly I would prefer to look+feel matte than look oily and nasty. All you need to do is wear a good moisturizer during the day and at night and wear a primer over your moisturizer before you apply your EDM. Once I switched moisturizers and included a primer in my routine I haven't experienced any dryness from my EDM. Any dryness I experience is due to my use of topicals which I have recently switched to using MA and SA on alternate days so in the first week or two of introducing the MA I experienced dryness and flaking. My point: it could be your topicals that are drying you out as well. I would just moisturize a lot, drink plenty of water, and use a primer over your moisturizer before applying your makeup.

i highly recommend my primer - The Present Skin Perfector by Philosphy

This primer is fantastic! she suggested it to me and I seriously love it! I love that my skin texture can be completely evened out with this. I love that it diminishes redness and as a result I don't need as much makeup. I also love that if I am wearing topicals during the day this helps to keep them protected from my makeup and in place! It does not break me out, and seems very fool proof in application. I can't recommend it enough! Thanks so much for suggesting it Jai, It makes me so much more motivated to apply makeup now!

I got mine at macy's and I think some nordstrom's carry philosophy products so you might want to check online if the macy's or nordstroms closest to you carries it :)

I want to first say that 'foundation' is my main concern here. I won't address mascara, lipstick, or eyeliner.

Cover all of my hyper-pigmented scars and even out my skin tone. I also want it to look natural but highly doubt that's in the realm of "probable" simply because no makeup can cover all my hyper-pigmented scar and still look like I have no makeup on haha!

What makeup do you love?

1. Sheer Cover

Pros?

a) Lasts a long time, it won't spoil like liquid foundations.

b) Very silky-super-powdery mineral makeup that covers well.

c) Doesn't clog my pores, doesn't feel like a mask. It's not sticky or gloopy/creamy (I like my topicals to be gloopy/liquidy/creamy but not my makeup).

d) It doesn't look 'too' un-natural like pressed powder (I think those filler fibers really make your face look chalky).

Cons?

a) So freaking expensive.

b) Looks powdery when first applied (not as bad as pressed powder though, micas aren't as chalky looking). The powdery look fades after your natural oils mix with the product.

c) Must reapply during the day or else it starts to sweat off (and it looks very bad when sweating off, especially if you're wearing a lot).

d) So powdery you can easily breathe this stuff in your lungs. I always hold my breath when I'm applying mineral makeup (if you don't it's comparable to breathing dust, your lungs won't like it).

2. Physician Formula's Duo Concealer

Pros?

a) Yellow undertone works great for my skin color.

b) Comes with a "green" color to cancel out red acne tone.

c) Cheap/Affordable

d) Good Quality

e) I trust the company in that it's dermatologist recommended no harsh ingredients.

Cons?

a) Like all concealer it will run into creases.

Which do you dislike?

1) ALL liquid or cream foundations. Any foundation that isn't mineral makeup I pretty much dislike.

Nope. However it does make me break out "if I don't wash it off before I sleep", but not to the extent that liquid/cream foundations do. I can go a few nights sleeping in mineral makeup without breaking out, but at a certain point I always do get a few. It's less frequent/severe than liquid/cream foundations though.

Topical for the last month:

Dan's BP Gel

Nuetrogena Anti-Acne Soap

Nuetrogena Acne Stress Control

Makeup for 2007:

Physician Formula Duo Concealer

Sheer Cover Mineral Makeup Foundation

Note

Before going through my makeup I put on all my topicals, wait to dry, then "Olay Complete SPF 15", wait to dry, then apply concealer and mineral foundation.

i highly recommend my primer - The Present Skin Perfector by Philosphy

This primer is fantastic! she suggested it to me and I seriously love it! I love that my skin texture can be completely evened out with this. I love that it diminishes redness and as a result I don't need as much makeup. I also love that if I am wearing topicals during the day this helps to keep them protected from my makeup and in place! It does not break me out, and seems very fool proof in application. I can't recommend it enough! Thanks so much for suggesting it Jai, It makes me so much more motivated to apply makeup now!

these are such hard questions because everyone's so different. i agree that all the oil-free, non-comedogenic claims are bullshit. even if you do get something that claims it's not going to break you out, it still could. everyone's skin is different. i would recommend figuring out exactly what kind of coverage you want and what kind of formula you prefer and go from there. here are my answers:

cover my redmarks, even out skin tone, cover active acne. i want full coverage with a dewy finish, that doesn't look like too much.

right now i love mac studio fix fluid. it offers awesome coverage with not a whole lot of product. i also don't have to use concealer, which is another big plus for me. i like a flawless look without a whole lot of effort, and this does it for me. i tried em and bare minerals, and loads of over stuff, but they never completely covered my red marks, and i hated dotting concealer all over my face for both hyperpigmentation and active acne.

Which do you dislike?

there's nothing out there that i really hate. i've never had foundation oxidize on me or be difficult to work with. i just didn't like the coverage or time and effort to make it look the way i wanted.

in my experience, i've never had a foundation that increased breakouts. the studio fix fluid i'm using now i've never had a problem with. the one thing is i kind of have dry skin, and i have to apply a deep moisturizer about once a week, or the bp i use use wreaks havoc. if my skin isn't hydrated properly, my foundation can look a little cakey. the other foundations i've tried wtihout a problem: almost every mac foundation (although i would stay away from studio tech,) em, bare minerals, neutrogena clear skin, neutrogena healthy skin..... those are really the only ones i used for any length of time.

make-up routine:

mac fix+

benefit f.y.e.

dust mac blot powder

mac studio fix fluid

benefit hoola bronzer

blush (usually benefit dallas or nars orgasm)

eye shadow and eye liner (whatever i feel like)

benefit eye bright

another dusting mac blot powder

benefit 10, benefit moon beam, or perscriptives magic liquid powder (one of the three)

clear maybelline great lash mascara to set brows

lancome cils booster xl

lancome definicils mascara

mac fix+

(i know it sounds like a lot of product, but unless i can't decide what color eye shadows to wear, i can usually be done in about 20 mins.... maybe that is a long time.... oh well.)

I want the same thing everyone else wants; an even skin tone and hidden zits!

Concealer:

My absolute favorite, which I can't seem to find anymore, is Maybelline's Pure.Concealer stick. It has 2% salicylic acid and really worked to dry out my blemishes without making me look flaky. The first time I used it I had a huge blemish/scab on the side of my nose (picking is my worst habit), and it embarrassed me so much...but within two days of using this concealer it was completely gone. I highly recommend it for people with oily skin.

Foundation:

I use powder concealers in general, since I have oily skin and live in a really humid climate. Right now I'm using, surprise surprise, Maybelline's Pure.Powder. (I didn't realize that my favorite products were Maybelline, I swear) It feels really light and soft on your skin but actually does a good job covering without looking cakey. I like the Pure line because in addition to being good for acne-prone skin, they have aloe, chamomile, and vitamin e in them, so if you have sensitive skin (like me), you won't freak out after using them.

Blush:

Not too picky about blush, I've been using CoverGirl's powder brush for a long time.

Eyeliner:

I am a slave to the Revlon kohl pencil. I cry everytime I can't find it in the store. Much superior than the eyeliner "pens" that you twist to release more eyeliner. They don't dry out, and you can really control how smudgy or sharp you want your lines to be.

Which do you dislike?

Liquid foundation! I'll use it when really desperate, but I have extremely oily skin and live where it's humid, so it's just not a good combo.

No, because I am careful to use products that will HELP my skin, not hurt it. I usually don't pay attention to "oil free" or "non-comedogenic", but I do look at the list of ingredients...the fewer, the better!

Right now I'm using Cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer, with a %10 BP...I was gonna get %2.5 but the cheapskate in me won out...the %10 was much cheaper. Next time I think I'll go for Dan's BP, though.

As for makeup, I use concealer, a little powder foundation, blush, eyeliner, and mascara religiously.

What do you want your makeup to do? I want my make-up to conceal blemishes and enhance my natural beauty. I prefer make-up that feels light and is natural looking under all lighting. I prefer minerals because they lack chemicals, provide SPF, and do not irritate my skin.

What makeup do you love? I make my own. Pros? It works perfectly for me. Cons? -

Which do you dislike? Most-I don't like putting chemicals on my skin, I don't tolerate talc-it makes me break out like crazy, and I don't like mica, boron, or bismuth. I dislike all the false advertising and I can't believe mineral make-up companies say their make-up is all natural and comes from the earth. ALL minerals are either lab created or at the very least, lab processed-if they weren't they would be toxic!

Perhaps the most important question...does it make you breakout? Mine does not, I formulated a foundation that works well with my skin.

Finally, if it's not too much of a problem, what products do you use daily? Kiss My Face Olive Oil soap, cold-pressed organic jojoba oil, my own mineral make-up.

What do you want your makeup to do? Hide red marks and even out skin tone.

What makeup do you love? Long lasting because most of the time it's on at 5am and doesn't get a chance to be washed off until midnight (yea, I'm a very busy gal). Right now I'm using Stone Mountain Minerals and I love the way it looks and feels. It's long lasting and has great coverage. Plus, it's the best match for my skin tone I've found so far and so affordable!

Which do you dislike? Makeup that melts or cakes. I have oily skin, so if something is streaking or pooling in my fine lines, I get frustrated. I'm left wondering how long it had been like that and why the heck didn't somebody say something?!

Perhaps the most important question...does it make you breakout? Nope, and I leave it on ALL day at least twice a week when I have to work full time and then go to school all night. Would I ever sleep in it though? NO! Even when I'm dragging ass, the face gets washed and toned before it ever hits the pillow.

Finally, if it's not too much of a problem, what products do you use daily? Morning and night I wash with Cetaphil and tone with witch hazel. In the mornings only I dampen my face and then moisturize with a sparingly applied concoction of 2 tbsp. sweet almond oil, 3 drops of tea tree oil, and 7 drops of lavender oil. Instead of just rubbing it all on I put a couple of drops on my fingertip and rub it onto my other damp fingertips, then pat my face all over in a stippling motion. When I feel a blemish coming on I'll spot it using a q-tip dipped in pure tea tree oil to stop that bugger in its tracks. This method works great for me.

Ive been using Dermablend from Vichy for a few weeks now and it hasnt caused me to break out at all. It is on the expensive side but totally worth it. The container is really small but will last months. It's a foundation that has 40% more pigments in it and it is seriously unbelievable how well it works. It took away all the stress I used to have about putting my makeup on in the morning, I can even sleep in a little now, hehe!

I then apply a very tiny amount of 2% BHA to any active zits I might have or I just lightly apply it to areas I normally breakout. I wait until it dries and apply philosophy "the present clear makeup" (my primer). I wait about 5 minutes (during which I am doing my hair) and then apply my EDM. This includes a light dusting of foundation, concealer (I use my foundation for this), bronzer, on oily days I apply the %100 silk dust, then I curl my lashes and apply Loreal "original voluminous" mascara. Thats what I do for work and school everyday, but if I am going out I apply shadow and sometimes liner.

Wow, this was really interesting! I'm curious about Revlon Color/Colourstay after hearing some good replies about it!