Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it really my acne that is holding me back or is it my own flaws? If I had asserted myself more, would my life be any different? If I were to lose that lingering feeling of uneasiness, and the paranoia that comes with it, would I get the confidence that I so desperatly crave. Sorry if it sounds a bit pedantic, but all this time I've blamed my acne for my introversion, when it struck me today that it could be my own defeatist atitude from the start. And I in effect have been the creator of my own destruction. But even if this is so, I feel that it's too late to change what has already begun. Slightly depressing really. Am I alone in thinking this?

Is it really my acne that is holding me back or is it my own flaws? If I had asserted myself more, would my life be any different? If I were to lose that lingering feeling of uneasiness, and the paranoia that comes with it, would I get the confidence that I so desperatly crave. Sorry if it sounds a bit pedantic, but all this time I've blamed my acne for my introversion, when it struck me today that it could be my own defeatist atitude from the start. And I in effect have been the creator of my own destruction. But even if this is so, I feel that it's too late to change what has already begun. Slightly depressing really. Am I alone in thinking this?

if i would hazard a guess, i would think it seems it's a little of both. i've felt that way as well. the thing is acne makes a person insecure in several aspects. people can be cruel and who wants to be on the opposite side of cruel? being out-going and assertive is akin to reaching out. when people reach out and get rejected, it hurts. it hurts bad.

but nothing ever comes easy. if it weren't for acne, then i'd probably have a whole slew of other problems. i might have still been the bully or the snotty assgrabber that i intended myself to be!

:rolleyes:

such is life. yet, if you don't try you will always be introverted and unassertive. if you try you at least have a chance to become what you think you want to be. yes, sounds cliche, i know but i have no reason to believe otherwise. i'll take a slight chance over none any day of the week in vegas.

acne doesn't make me or you dumb. we still have brains and we can function. what i mean is that acne can't hold me back from being able to be intellectually stimulating. when i open my mouth, i know what i am talking about and people have to listen. just because i have acne they won't respect my knowledge is absurd, logic dictates that they must. being beautifully acne free doesn't make them have more or less authority. you have to believe this. intelligence and knowledge are the ultimate equalizers. i've witnessed it, i can attest.

and lastly, time is the one of the only few resources in our perception that is irretrievable. please treasure it and use it wisely. don't let this malady squander away those precious moments.

cape diem.

Tearless

Ok firstly i think we need to stop looking at introversion as a negative, i like to think i have a fine balance between introversion and extroversion. I couldnt be extremely out going all the time just the same way as i couldnt be always by myself. I need my private time and i enjoy my own company, but i also enjoy social company.

Either way i can definately blame acne. It changed me in so many ways, a few good, mostly shit.

Ok firstly i think we need to stop looking at introversion as a negative, i like to think i have a fine balance between introversion and extroversion. I couldnt be extremely out going all the time just the same way as i couldnt be always by myself. I need my private time and i enjoy my own company, but i also enjoy social company.

Either way i can definately blame acne. It changed me in so many ways, a few good, mostly shit.

Completely agree. I'm definitely not the person I used to be. Acne just enhanced my introversion even more.

It is never ever too late to change. Work on confidence; do a search on self-esteem or confidence on these boards and you'll find many suggestions on how to develop those qualites in yourself. I'm 40 and I'm still changing. ;) Go for it!