Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doppleganger

Are Head & Shoulders and certain soap bar/body washes comodogenic?

Greetings, I came here to ask the aforementioned question because on more than one instance, I've noticed that when washing my hair with Head & Shoulders shampoo (specifically the "Intensive Treatment" one with 1% selenium sulfide) that I get acne around my hairline area in my forehead and on the sides of my face, after some shampoo gets on my skin while washing my hair. Is it a coincidence (a f-ed up one at that) or are H&S shamboos really comodogenic? If so then I can cross off using it to treat my moderate (very moderate) back and upper arm acne. Speaking of which..........

I recently bought myself two body washes (never have bathed with these, up until now I've been a bar man), specifically of the Old Spice and Axe brands, as I finally gave in to the "good smell/scent" propoganda behind them. Problem is, I've all but forgotten about my moderate back/upper arm acne which I have yet to treat due to me well, never being shirtless outside of my home. I even skipped out on beaches and pools this summer because of it. With that said, would using these and any other mainstream soaps/washes that emphasize more about scent and cleanliness than anything else, would they make my body acne worse? Who knows, perhaps I've been making it worse all this time by washing with Irish Spring bars..........need I mention I bathe with loofahs and uh, try to make as much of a compromise as possible with my diet and hunger by drinking lots of water a day and taking multivitamin supplements (if that's of any help)?

So, any suggestions or advice as to what non-comodogenic shamboos and body washes/soaps I should use? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Hi Dopple!!

I deal with the SAME thing *well i am female - so not with AXE lol* But seriously I cannot use ANY liquid body wash.... And I have to wash my hair first in the shower.. Then use a good soap on my body and face, including hairline.... If I try to wash my body first...even just from rinsing the shampoo//condition it breaks out my chest; shoulders; and back.

I use Triple strength Tea tree soap; African black; Baking soda - or really any soap that could be classified as "healing"

And about not going shirtless..... I can relate *well kinda... lol* I cannot wear v-neck; or low cut tops because my chest acne is just awful.

I hope that helps... just a suggestion and what i have found to be true. And doing what I do did not SOLVE the issue *which is why i am here* but it definitely improved it at least 50%

Thanks for the insight, and welcome to the boards! As you can see I've been here for quite a while...........but have yet to actually find something stable to calm my acne. Good luck! lol

There actually was a thread a little while ago where a member had started washing his face with Classic Care Pantene, it had a certain amount of Zinc in it and actually cleared their skin, a few other users tried it and had positive results, might be worth looking into.

Here are the ingredients of the bottle of Head & Shoulders "Intensive Treatment" Shamboo that I use:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/11Y6...ytL._AA160_.jpg

Selenium Sulfide (1%)|Water|Ammonium Laureth Sulfate|Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate|Glycol Distearate|Cocamide MEA|Fragrance|Dimethicone|Tricetylmonium Chloride|Ammonium Xylenesulfonate|Cetyl Alcohol|DMDM Hydantoin|Sodium Chloride|Stearyl Alcohol|Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose|FD&C Red No. 4

Any of these ingredients stand you to you guys as acne enablers?