Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mommyof2

Subcision done this morning

I had my subcision done this morning and while I feel okay now (swollen and starting to really bruise) it was not pleasant. Of course, the Xylocaine injections was the worst part and I didn't numb up that great so she had to give me more which made my whole lower face (temples and below) very numb, especially my lips and ears. I get a bit anxious when I can't feel my lips, so that freaked me out a bit. She gave me this vibrator (yes, it was just like a little bullet vibrator!!) to hold against my chest or hip bone to minimize the pain and distract me - it really worked. After I was numb she started and I mostly felt the needle going in, but not moving around and did feel it stick me when it got into areas that weren't very numb, but it went well. She must have been amazed at my skin, because she kept saying "can you hear that?". "can you feel that?", "it's like cutting through grissle!". Yea, I know not very soothing, but even with as much as she said it I really didn't hear the tearing or feel it. Anyway, I am very swollen, especially on my left temple which completely goose-egged because the nurse didn't apply enough pressure (the doc was pissed) and on my cheeks. Scars can't be seen hardly at all, but I know enough about this to know that once the swelling goes down they will resurface, I just hope I see some improvement.

Anyway, I had my 3rd Fraxel set for next Friday and she wants to use her new machine - the Pearl instead. She told me about it months ago at my consult and now she is using it daily. She said that 1 treatment of the Pearl is equal to 2-3 Fraxel II treatments!! She said that it is less painful, takes less time (20-30 minutes vs 1 hour) but has a longer downtime. She is going to get very aggressive with it and she expects that my downtime will be 2 weeks versus the 1 week I experience with Fraxel. She said that it will cause a very red/bronzing of the skin, feel very leathery (much more than the Fraxel) and then completely slough off. You also have to wear an ointment on your face for a good portion of the healing. She wants me to do two of them spaced 6-8 weeks apart. It is also more expensive. Fraxel was costing me $800 and the Pearl will be $1350, but better in the long run since I will need less. I asked if it was the equivalent to the Fraxel:repair, but she said Absolutely Not and did not elaborate. Has anyone heard of this machine? I'm going to do some research and see what I can find out. The downtime is not a real issue for me and if it's less painful than Fraxel, I'm all for it. I do the new machine in two weeks and then 6-8 weeks after that.

I will update on my subcision as the swelling goes down.

Kari

OK, here's what I found out about The Pearl machine - sounds promising!

Pearl

There is growing demand among patients and practitioners for a more aggressive treatment to address wrinkles and uneven texture while minimizing the recovery time experienced from other ablative technologies. With a 2790 nm wavelength, the Pearl laser provides a technology to meet these market demands; maximizing the ratio of cosmetic benefit to patient downtime.

Mechanism of action

These treatment goals can be achieved with the appropriate technology, wavelength, and settings.

* Ablation: The safe removal of a portion of the epidermis is achieved with a controlled amount of vaporization. 10-30 microns of epidermis are vaporized in this process.

* Coagulation: Simultaneously, sufficient heat to produce coagulation is generated in the remaining epidermis. Depending upon selected energy, the coagulation region can vary from partial to full epidermal damage. This coagulation region creates a natural protective dressing on the skin that remains intact during the restorative process.

* Collagen Remodeling: Finally, residual heat in the dermis generates new collagen growth.

I also found the Cutera website which has a $100 coupon that you can apply for and print off and bring to your doctor! Just printed mine and will bring it with me. She is giving me a 10% discount off the $1500 full face to $1350 so hopefully she will let me use this coupon too. I'm sure that she turns it in and Cutera pays her the $100. Here is the website and way to get the coupon http://www.cutera.com/pearl/patients/

Thanks for sharing your experience. You are very brave! I have my doubts about the efficacy of lasers, based on what I've read on this website, but maybe it will help to generally even out skin tone, etc.? I'm not an expert, but just wanted to wish you luck. The subcision sounds very disturbing - kind of like having dental work done all over your face...gives me the heebeegeebees.

Thanks for the insight on Subcision, I am thinking of having it done this comming tuesday, so I will also report my findings. How much did the procedure cost?.... did the doctor reccomended you do a laser treatment right after, as in the same day?...

I hope you get great results from the treatment, my feelings are the more invasive the procedure, the better the results.

Pete

Guest delta force operators

how much scars did u get subcised and what type were they?

did ur doc mention anything about possiblility of scar reattaching?

Thanks for the insight on Subcision, I am thinking of having it done this comming tuesday, so I will also report my findings. How much did the procedure cost?.... did the doctor reccomended you do a laser treatment right after, as in the same day?...

I hope you get great results from the treatment, my feelings are the more invasive the procedure, the better the results.

Pete