Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jane jones

How makeup emotionally affects you

Is it just me, or have other people noticed a difference in their moods when they have makeup on and when they have makeup off?

I just started to realize that I am generally a happier, nicer and more amiable person whenever I have my makeup on. When I have it off in the morning, or after I wash my face at night, I tend to be grumpy and reclusive. I don't think this is a good thing at all!

I dont wear make up anymore. I hate all the make up Ive tried. What make up are you using?

Let's see... I use Clarin's tinted moisturizer, Maybelline concealer, some bronzer, i.d. Bare Minerals 'Mineral veil', and mascara. I used to be a mascara only girl! Those were the days....

I guess putting on the makeup isn't what bothers me so much as how comfortable I feel in my own skin does. When did this happen? I feel slightly manic and dependent upon my image. I am not shallow towards other people by any means, but I think I am towards myself. Is that possible? The things I value so much in others, such as intelligence, and humor, and independence and creativity, don't matter in MY own self. And it's sad because I know I have (or had) all those things, but what with moving to another country and developing acne, I don't know where they've gone.

Wah.

I definately feel more confident with makeup on. :dance:

I would never go to work or go out at night without makeup and if I'm meeting with anyone during the day I wear makeup.

The only times I don't wear makeup is lazy days at home and if I need to go to the shop I dab a bit of concealer over red marks and spots.

I know on the odd occassion I've gone to the shop or a friends place without makeup, it takes a while to be myself, as I'm too preoccupied with what people think. OMG Why do we care sooo much about what other people think? :wall:

That all said, I have always been a makeup kind of gal :think:

Makeup makes me feel pretty. I avoid mirrors without it. However, I like to wash my face at night & have that time before bed where there is nothing on my face; it feels physically good to be makeup free, if not emotionally good.

In public though, I need my makeup!

i'm totally the same way. i don't feel like i look good at all without make-up, and i tend to be a bit more shy and reserved without it. i also am preoccupied with how others are perceiving me, especially if they've seen me with make-up. i obsess over what they must be thinking of me.... it's awful, i know. i also feel the same way even with make-up if i have a gross zit that i can't completely cover. i'll be reminded of it, and suddenly become self conscious.

I first started using mineral powder about 5 months ago, and my results?

Week 1: Wow, this stuff's awesome! I feel so much more confident!

Month 1: Hmm, doesn't look as good as it used to.

Month 2: Ohh God, I'm getting bumps all over my face and dryness in the middle of the summer? WTH is going on?

Month 5: Regrets, Confusion, as a guy I can't make my skin look completely natural anymore, feeling depressed every day.

I'm 3 weeks in doxycycline, so hopefully that'll make this mess go away. I have a love-hate relationship with makeup.

I first started using mineral powder about 5 months ago, and my results?

Week 1: Wow, this stuff's awesome! I feel so much more confident!

Month 1: Hmm, doesn't look as good as it used to.

Month 2: Ohh God, I'm getting bumps all over my face and dryness in the middle of the summer? WTH is going on?

Month 5: Regrets, Confusion, as a guy I can't make my skin look completely natural anymore, feeling depressed every day.

I'm 3 weeks in doxycycline, so hopefully that'll make this mess go away. I have a love-hate relationship with makeup.

MMU isn't so great when dealing with dry/flaky skin (actually, most foundation isn't). Are you using a moisturizer? That can make a big difference.

Also, what brand of mineral powder are you using?

Well it is a combination of things we need to work on, I think. Sure, makeup when done well looks really flattering. I think it is totally fair for anyone at all to want to cover up a pimple, a face full of acne, or scar, or what may look like a wound on their skin. It is not shallow to want to hide things that you can't immediately repair. It is fair to want to not stand out for your skin problems.

But ... at the same time I think we all (most of us) need to do serious work on our belief in who we are. We are something beyond these imperfections.

I'd been working with a really neat group of people online for a while on some self esteem issues, and working through painful past and present situations and I find that work is equally as important as helping my physical looks in any way I can.

We have to work on the whole person. Work on our skin, work on our health, work on our view of our worth, work on coming to terms with past hurts so they can't make us feel like less of a person anymore, work on our career/work/school etc ... it is a balance.

So I don't think anyone has to feel bad if wearing makeup makes you feel good. But work on your other areas just as hard as you work on your makeup to keep a balance. :)

Hope this makes sense!!

Yeah, sometimes I think that makeup is a bandaid. I just want to feel pretty though!

Anyway, if MMU isn't really working out for you, maybe try a liquid foundation that wont clog your pores? I use a tinted moisturizer and you can't even tell I have makeup on. I personally hate powder foundations, I tried one once and my boyfriend was like, "Wait...are you wearing MAKEUP!?".

I cleared up signifacantly when I got rid of make-up, but it took a lot

out of me at first to see my regular face all the time.

Make-up ruined everything for me, I only felt crummier when I would

go all day thinking I look great only to wash it off and cry every night.

Now I just see my regular face every day, not as though I want to

however :lol:

I wear very little makeup...just powder and a touch of mascara but even if I don't have those on I feel completely ugly. I would probably wear more but I am horrible at applying makeup and really don't have the time. But I would love to have perfect skin and feel pretty without makeup.

This sounds weird but I feel like I'm dumber when I wear makeup, especially after a long period of going bare faced in public. I go through long periods (like months to a year) of not wearing makeup and would feel fine not wearing any. But when I start wearing makeup again I feel 1) like a hypocrit 2) people are looking at me funny like I'm trying to be something I'm not and 3) that my IQ drops and I can't comprehend or multi-task as well as before. I don't know why, but that's just the way I feel.

Oh and I had the same issue with mineral makeup. First week was wow, I love this stuff. And gradually the makeup start looking worse and worse and then I end up with painful huge cystic pimples and my face is desert dry even in the summer. Oh and I feel like the makeup just cakes on my face and sits there.

Is it just me, or have other people noticed a difference in their moods when they have makeup on and when they have makeup off?

I just started to realize that I am generally a happier, nicer and more amiable person whenever I have my makeup on. When I have it off in the morning, or after I wash my face at night, I tend to be grumpy and reclusive. I don't think this is a good thing at all!

It's so weird that you brought this up.. I was thinking about this yesterday and was going to make a thread about it lol. My skin without makeup is absolutely terrifyingly horrible... and with makeup, my skin looks great. So basically... without makeup, I tend to be very depressed... moping around my house... zero confidence... and completely hating myself. Once I put on makeup though, my confidence goes up, i'm happy and hyper, etc.

i'm the same either way.......

now if i have a planet growing on my face, i'll do my best to cover it up and hope that i was successful but it doesn't make me self-conscious. honestly, i dont give a shit what people think. if you don't like it, don't look. ;)

I feel so much less pretty without it, even though I just wear foundation and mascara. I'm ridiculously self conscious about my body and my skin, so with makeup on it's one less thing to worry about.

I dont wear make up anymore. I hate all the make up Ive tried. What make up are you using?

Let's see... I use Clarin's tinted moisturizer, Maybelline concealer, some bronzer, i.d. Bare Minerals 'Mineral veil', and mascara. I used to be a mascara only girl! Those were the days....

I guess putting on the makeup isn't what bothers me so much as how comfortable I feel in my own skin does. When did this happen? I feel slightly manic and dependent upon my image. I am not shallow towards other people by any means, but I think I am towards myself. Is that possible? The things I value so much in others, such as intelligence, and humor, and independence and creativity, don't matter in MY own self. And it's sad because I know I have (or had) all those things, but what with moving to another country and developing acne, I don't know where they've gone.

Wah.

You know how they say, we are our own worst critic.

Makeup is totally an addiction. Once you start wearing it, you feel insecure to go outside without it, so you are likely to wear it almost every single day. Getting off makeup is so hard, but getting on it is just too easy.

Makeup just makes me feel more presentable? If my face were to clear up, I would start using less and less makeup until I can finally ween off it. To me, makeup has become a chore and it's not fun. I wear makeup mainly to cover up the scars and stuff... so it's not really like I feel prettier, I just feel more presentable? I would do anything if I could walk out the house without makeup. I just wish I was naturally flawless lol

I have seen a few girls on campus with no makeup on, there's something really pretty about that fresh-faced bare look. You almost look like a high-end runway model. Most of them have flawless complexions though, they're not you're typical teenager... I dunno, for the most part I think naturally flawless bare-skin type looks are very European for some reason?

i feel horrible without makeup. i think its natural for girls to feel this way and i thinks its okay.

as long as your yourself with your makeup on and your not a different person that its ok!

hey i'm a makeup fan..its covers up all my scars and stuff so i'm not givin it up!

btw.. i use mineral makeup and it is great..so idk why some people have problems..maybe its the brand or there skin doesn't like it haha..

I just wear light foundation and mascara, but I completely know what you mean. It makes me feel more dressed and comfortable, if that makes sense. It's such a habitual part of my routine in the mornings that I almost don't notice it. I do feel more cheerful once I see the red marks significantly disappear, though! And the mascara tends to brighten up my eyes. I don't see make-up as a mask, just a way to enhance your natural beauty - and we all have natural beauty. Never forget that!