Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lexxi

Fish Oil Supplement -- Okay to take with Accutane?

I'm on the 8th day of my Accutane course (40mg once daily) and just bought some fish oil capsules, flaxseed oil and vitamin E capsules to help guard my skin, eyes and hair from dryness and also to protect my joints from any possible aches and pains. I'm not worried about the flaxseed oil or vitamin E, but I have my concerns about the fish oil because it contains some vitamin A. It has 200 IU per serving (two pills). Do you guys believe this could be a problem? How much is 200 IU? Is that considered a little or alot? I know that I can't avoid vitamin A completely and I'm probably worrying about nothing but I'm just trying to be cautious. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everybody,

- lexxi

I'm on the 8th day of my Accutane course (40mg once daily) and just bought some fish oil capsules, flaxseed oil and vitamin E capsules to help guard my skin, eyes and hair from dryness and also to protect my joints from any possible aches and pains. I'm not worried about the flaxseed oil or vitamin E, but I have my concerns about the fish oil because it contains some vitamin A. It has 200 IU per serving (two pills). Do you guys believe this could be a problem? How much is 200 IU? Is that considered a little or alot? I know that I can't avoid vitamin A completely and I'm probably worrying about nothing but I'm just trying to be cautious. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everybody,

- lexxi

I would like to know about this also.

I heard that fish oil helps with clearing acne. However, I have also read on this forum somewhere that its not good to take Vitamin A with Accutane.

- lexxi

I heard that fish oil helps with clearing acne. However, I have also read on this forum somewhere that its not good to take Vitamin A with Accutane.

I've read before that fish oil is fine or beneficial for the skin during Accutane as it promotes and provides beneficial fats.

Ask your dermatologist about Vitamin E. Many prefer patients to avoid it now, or say that it is insignificant anyway.

Bradly

- lexxi

I've read before that fish oil is fine or beneficial for the skin during Accutane as it promotes and provides beneficial fats.

Ask your dermatologist about Vitamin E. Many prefer patients to avoid it now, or say that it is insignificant anyway.

Bradly

Thanks for the feedback.

I wasn't aware some dermatologists prefer their patients stay away from vitamin E while on Accutane. I've listed vitamin E several times on medication lists at the clinic I go to prior to getting on Accutane, and neither the nurse nor my doctor has ever mentioned anything about it. To be safe though, I'll probably just try and call him and ask about both vitamin E and fish oil. When or if (he's very, very hard to get in contact with...) I hear something back from him soon, I'll post what he recommends so that rockets will have some answers, too.

Thanks again.

- lexxi

Fish oil capsules have very little vitamin A in so should be fine... Cod liver/fish liver oil on the other hand is a nono!

Why is it a no-no? i have been taking it straight after accutane since i have been on it (2 weeks)

Sorry to bump a thread that was so far back, but I wanted to give a little update to those who were confused about the whole fish oil thing...

I talked to my doctor yesterday afternoon and asked him about my headaches (had to get off of Accutane for the time being because of it, unfortunately...) and then about the vitamins. He said he thought vitamin E would be fine, as well as the flaxseed oil, but told me to stay away from ANY supplement with vitamin A or derivatives. Small amounts of vitamin A in food is fine, just not in supplements. Good thing I waited to talk to him before taking any -- he said it could've made my headaches and pressure around my eyes even worse. I guess I'll either have to give the fish oil to someone else or just return them. Oh well.

- lexxi