Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anna

Acne Scar Treatment Fund Raising

Hi All,

I spend most of the time I come here posting on the scarless healing thread below and recently I placed the following post. After getting some great positive feedback I think the time has come to put our money where our collective mouths are and start raising money to help our cause. There are countless studies being done to promote scarless healing but few of these studies are aimed at the treatment of existing scars, also those few studies directed at scar treatment seem to be focused on the treatment of keloids. While these are all serious courses of study they don't really address what most of us here suffer from...ACNE SCARS. I am therefore proposing that a fund be started with dedicated aim of raising funds for the study of the successful treatment of acne scarring and the assessment of acne scar treatments. If I have learned anything, money talks and research takes money. The answer may be close to being out there but funds are needed to make reality out of theory. I'd appreciate some feedback! I recently made a $200 donation to the American Heart Association and afterward I was shaking my head. The thing that has caused me the greatest amount of grief is not heart disease, it is acne scarring. Who feels the same way?

Thanks all in advance for your thoughts!

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=157005

I've been pondering and really think that we need to do is start a scar treatment fund raising foundation (not for scar prevention research, but rather to treat existing scars). When there is money at stake researchers come to you with their ideas. Currently we pour over research papers hoping for a glimmer of hope or read misleading marketing propoganda from companies. If we were able to raise enough money we could start a foundation with a purpose of curing people of existing scars, and do somewhat like a 'Consumer Report' of scar treatments. We would be able to rate them so people that come to this board would have an unbiased way to assess efficacy.

I have a bit of experience with fund raising, but would be willing to step into this role with more commitment.

What are people's thoughts on this as an overall concept?

I might start a separate thread if people have positive replies...

Thanks in advance for your input!

Anna

I respect your idea Anna and I like it.

However, unfortunately, I do not think it will work. I don't believe that there are enough people with acne scarring who want to donate to make any difference. I mean, cancer has directly/indirectly affected a vast number of people hence the enourmous amount of money cancer charities raise.

As regards acne scarring, there are only a few place on the web where people discuss it. Hardly enormous interest. Acne org is not about to raise enough to make a difference. Acen scar treatment will continue to ride on the back of the big-bucks research - i.e. wrinkle, ageing reduction. So much research goes into this cos the baby boomers don't like the wrinkles they are starting to get and the researchers know there are pots of gold to be made.

However, unfortunately, I do not think it will work. I don't believe that there are enough people with acne scarring who want to donate to make any difference. I mean, cancer has directly/indirectly affected a vast number of people hence the enourmous amount of money cancer charities raise.

As regards acne scarring, there are only a few place on the web where people discuss it. Hardly enormous interest.

I agree with kirk. We could reach out to more than just the acne scarred. How about the stretch marks that I talked about in the previous thread? They are truly another area of study that can interest those who aren't so much interested in just acne. Anna said herself that a lot of people have these too. This could be another topic of concentration.

Well, clearly we see that we all need to work together on this. Thanks for setting me straight everyone! Where my mind was going with this was to stay away from only scar prevention research and research on keloids. There is a LOT of that going on already. Perhaps we can say, "Scar Treatment Research" or "Traumatic Scar Treatment Foundation." Any other thoughts?

Guest sm_oore

I know it'd be hard because the ones that would donate are people on this board or have been thru it before and they probably need their money for their own.

But every idea's got to start out somewhere...

Good Luck

Guest delta force operators

well id donate 1g

I like this idea. Honestly, I'd donate up to $50000 if I know this is going to work. But that's obviously the problem. How do I know if this is going to work?

I know it'd be hard because the ones that would donate are people on this board or have been thru it before and they probably need their money for their own.

But every idea's got to start out somewhere...

Good Luck

Unfortunately, that last part is the problem. Spending that much money without results could perhaps drive someone, like me, to suicide.

I also have another idea. Now the biggest thing I'd need the money for is to buy a house, so any money that I don't have to spend toward that house can be spent on the research, so if I can find someone to split the money toward that house, "I think" that I can afford to donate up to $100000.

Now this would bind me to the person that I'm going to share the house with. Well, if it's a girl, then I'd have no problems at all. If she's good looking, I might even marry her! It sounds pretty crazy, but what can be worse than hell, which scars is. Might as well call it fate.

it all comes down to stem cell research, the goverment doesnt want to fund it due to the unethical immoral issues involved with stem cells,

the biggest fund raiser is the goverment, they are the ones that can get something done, i mean, they put a man on the moon didnt they?

I also have another idea. Now the biggest thing I'd need the money for is to buy a house, so any money that I don't have to spend toward that house can be spent on the research, so if I can find someone to split the money toward that house, "I think" that I can afford to donate up to $100000.

Now this would bind me to the person that I'm going to share the house with. Well, if it's a girl, then I'd have no problems at all. If she's good looking, I might even marry her! It sounds pretty crazy, but what can be worse than hell, which scars is. Might as well call it fate.

this isn't gonna work.

not enough people

not enough money

resulting in not enough interest.

docs are just gonna keep using the existing methods for dealing with scars.

but i'd be happy to accept several thousands of dollars to do my own research on my own face. I'd experiment on my own scars :) and i have plenty.

I just did some calculations. Let's say that 5 people, each had a minimum wage job and worked for 20 years, then just 5 people would make $1 million already. Let's say that those 5 people bought and lived in a $200000 house, then that would leave $800000 for research. Let's say that those people are really diligent and want to work for 40 years(yeah right), that would leave 1.6 million, and that's just from 5 people. If you have just 1000 people doing this, then we can raise as much as $320 million.

In addition, this is assuming that those people only worked for minimum wage. If anyone had a PhD(which I'm working on right now) or something like that, he/she could probably make 7, 8 times that. So, as we can see, the money can be raised very easily, as long as people are willing to live with a little "inconvenience"(which quite frankly, I don't see how it could be worse than living with these scars, and it's not like we're complete strangers here).

So the question is, how much are people willing to get rid of their scars? Are they willing to go as far as giving up that "American Dream?" Me, I could give a shit(my dream, aside from getting rid of the scars of course, is to work as little as possible, even if I had to live in a trailer). We can't each be thinking about owning a $1 million house(though I certainly could settle for a scarless beautiful wife, which in this case, isn't out of the question, assuming that the treatment worked). Fate dealt us a bad hand, can't afford to think about any "luxury" at this point, and quite frankly, considering that I'd have to work 4 times as much to own such a house, I doubt it'd be worth it.

I almost forgot, since we would be donating our income to "charity," this means that the money would be tax free. So if 1000 of us had a minimum wage job for 1 year, we would raise about 15 million right off the bat. 15 million might not be enough to find a solution for a complex problem such as scars, but at least it's worth a try. And I'm pretty sure the hope of finding a solution to our scars could drive us to overcome the arduousness of the minimum wage job.

i would donate money definitely but only if actual progress and research is done and i am seeing proof of it otherwise it could just very well be a scam.

no..its mr bush and his moral majority that doesnt want to fund stem cell research.oh but if stem cells would help a weapons system he would sure spend money on it.

Great points everyone!

What I am hoping this endeavor would capture is the researcher or scientist who happened upon an interesting finding. I was reading a graduate thesis a researcher wrote which detailed the importance of retinoic acid in the process of limb and tissue regeneration. This was written in 2002. I don't know if this researcher graduated or what happened to him.

Another paper was talking about how even if limb regeneration fails the epidermal cells still migrate to create a regenerative bud. This bud of perfectly formed new epidermis could be all we need.

Maybe if we make it known that our foundation exists and someone provides a highly promising proof of concept we can extend funding. Obviously there will need to be a stringent screening process. Then, if it is truly promising, we extend funding to a study.

Last week I found an article of how even with stem cells injected, an injured heart was only able to regenerate 10% of its tissue, this leads me to think stem cells may not be the holy grail anyway.

Please keep your thoughts coming.

Thanks!

Anna

I agree with Anna. Stem cells are looking less and less desirable after each report I read. I'm looking to such treatments as Intercytex's skin rejuvenator, VAVELTA, which uses human fibroblasts that are harvested from the foreskins of baby males. One foreskin is said to be able to provide treatment for many tens of thousands of patients. Click for source.

These are the types of treatments we are looking at and hoping for. Most of what was researched in the last thread were not dealing with stem cells. If you really want to look into what this foundation is being built on, please click on Anna's link in the first post of this thread. You will be taken to a 10 page discussion that will prove the validity of our hope for the near future.

It's all really exciting. Join in on the fun. You know you wanna.

Hey All,

Another thought I had was to form some type of treatment cooperative. A few years ago the hot treatment was thought to be Smoothbeam. Let us just say that really did work. With enough funding we could BUY a machine(s) and all members would have access to treatment at highly reduced cost. This of course would require regional worldwide treatment facilities for our members... And of course contingent on finding something that truly works. Essentially we would take the profit percentage out of the treatment cost. We could hire our own doctors and treatment supplies.

Machine, serum, whatever the treatment may require. That's a great idea Anna. We could split the states up into the west, central, and east sections and get everyone a spot for a reduced price treatment! That would at least cover their gas/ air expenses! I don't know. Maybe it's a bit too early to think about purchasing the products. Let's just find the solution first.