Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mandy Ann

So confused about how much fat I need...

I just had 2 waffels, which were 3 grams of fat each... is that enough fat to absorb a 40 mg tane pill?

Though I am no expert on this... I usually eat mine with a peanut butter sandwich, with reduced fat peanut butter. Its around 12 grams of fat, 2 of which is saturated :( for 60 mg.

My derm never mentioned anything about fat being necessary for absorption, nor did the pharmacy, and I've heard mixed responses as to how crucial taking it with high fat foods actually is. I just tend to take mine with oatmeal in the morning, although sometimes I'll also have a handful of walnuts, just in case it actually does make a difference. If there's anything to the rumors, a minimal amount of fat is probably all you need. I certainly wouldn't take it as an excuse to go all out and down it with a cheeseburger and fries every day. :P

My derm never mentioned anything about fat being necessary for absorption, nor did the pharmacy, and I've heard mixed responses as to how crucial taking it with high fat foods actually is. I just tend to take mine with oatmeal in the morning, although sometimes I'll also have a handful of walnuts, just in case it actually does make a difference. If there's anything to the rumors, a minimal amount of fat is probably all you need. I certainly wouldn't take it as an excuse to go all out and down it with a cheeseburger and fries every day. :P

I fail at this too. I have horrible trouble with eating because I'm a magnificent mental fuck-up, yet I'm paranoid about not taking enough fat so I have to force myself to eat huge lumps of cheese with my pills which I then feel awful about. Stupid bloody drug. It better be worth it in the end (and the end isn't too far off, blargh) or I will seriously choke some bitches.

So how much fat do we actually need?! ive heard lots of different stuff. some people say just a glass of milk is enough, others say you HAVE to take it with a meal for full absorption?

CONFUSING, seriously i have to take mine with the fattiest thing i can find to feel like its absorbed best, which in turn is probably clogging up my heart lol

if your studying, doing physical exercise, or go out for some time u need to eat dont be paranoid about calories!...before going to bed that's the time u dont need them...thats how i think about this subject.

be well.

Well, there's milk in my cereal, so it's not like I'm taking it in the complete absence of fat. Again, at no point in obtaining the medicine did anyone tell me that porking out is going to make it more effective, nor do I believe that for a minute. If fat is important, a very modest amount should be fine. Honestly, I think people who go out of their way to eat unhealthy foods every day and use this "high fat absorption" business as an excuse are just setting themselves up for bigger problems in the long run. For example, I had borderline high cholesterol BEFORE starting Accutane, and while I'm still quite young (21) and don't consider it much of a problem at this point, I certainly don't think it wise to aggravate the situation because it may have some remote effect on absorption to take it with french fries and a burger instead of, say, milk in breakfast cereal or something along those lines.

Maybe -and this is purely hypothetical and has no known basis in fact- the real reason cholesterol/triglyceride levels rise during treatment has more to do with people's choice of diet while on Accutane than it does on Accutane itself.

As a side note, I just checked the nutritional chart on the walnuts I buy and 1/4 cup is equivalent to 20 grams of fat, the vast majority of which is unsaturated. That's like a handful. Just in case anyone's looking for a quick, effective means of eliminating any doubt in this regards.

Well, there's milk in my cereal, so it's not like I'm taking it in the complete absence of fat. Again, at no point in obtaining the medicine did anyone tell me that porking out is going to make it more effective, nor do I believe that for a minute. If fat is important, a very modest amount should be fine. Honestly, I think people who go out of their way to eat unhealthy foods every day and use this "high fat absorption" business as an excuse are just setting themselves up for bigger problems in the long run. For example, I had borderline high cholesterol BEFORE starting Accutane, and while I'm still quite young (21) and don't consider it much of a problem at this point, I certainly don't think it wise to aggravate the situation because it may have some remote effect on absorption to take it with french fries and a burger instead of, say, milk in breakfast cereal or something along those lines.

Maybe -and this is purely hypothetical and has no known basis in fact- the real reason cholesterol/triglyceride levels rise during treatment has more to do with people's choice of diet while on Accutane than it does on Accutane itself.

My derm told me to always take it witha fatty meal, never specified how much fat though. She advised me that you only absorb 1/3 of the medication when its taken on an empty stomach.

There's a difference between "good" fats and "bad" fats too. Don't use it as an excuse to stuff your face with fried, greasy foods. Try monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. A small handful of nuts, some olive oil, flaxeed oil etc. will do the trick AND will provide some nutrition.

I don't have enough fat in my morning meal (in my opinion) so I take the Accutane with lunch and dinner, seeing as though are usually bigger meals for me.

I'm still confused about how much fat I need.... :( I tried googling it and it doesn't suggest a good amount........ i've just been taking it with a couple pieces of toast and loads of cream cheese :unsure: I feel so gross though eating all this fat lol... and my cholesterol has been high ever since starting tane!

I'm picky ... I hate nuts and most meat :( The only foods I eat everyday is a bowl of cereal, oatmeal, rye bread with cream cheese, yogurt, and apples lol...

I'm picky ... I hate nuts and most meat :( The only foods I eat everyday is a bowl of cereal, oatmeal, rye bread with cream cheese, yogurt, and apples lol...

your nuts for hating nuts :naughty:

I take mine with an omega 3 supplement everytime. It helps to process the accutane due to it being a fat soluble derivative of vitamin a. Getting a good amount of omega 3 in your diet also combats possible raised cholesterol levels. Fighting bad cholesterol with good cholesterol is the key and also helps the accutane work. Nuts, avocados, olive oil, flaxseed oil, and fish help. Pigging out on junk food makes things worse, but there are healthy fats that improve its effectiveness. Also make sure to drink lots of water to help it process and avoid nasty side affects. Sometimes it's difficult to get a meal with good fats, which is why I added the supplements.

Edited by Melindarby

There's a food cart near my university and their breakfasts are great..and I'm guessing fatty. I just pick something off the menu lmao.

Thank God I started exercising more...

Try taking it with a glass of organic coconut milk, it has 5g of the good fat. It doesn't really have a coconut-y flavor but it's not bad at all. I don't think taking it with regular milk is a good idea.

Guest Bloody Corpse Deamonn duh

is glass of coconut milk not too much of fat? :/