Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chicagonick

low dose for 2 years+ ? ? ?

anyone been on low dose accutane for more than 2 years?

about 8 months ago i finished a 5 month course of i think it was 60mg/day ... i had FANTASTIC results, no oil, shrunk pores, sebaceous hyperplasia shrunk considerably, and the only side effects i had were dryness around my mouth/chin and a sore knee.

the sore knee part scared me though... so i have been hesitant to get back on accutane. so if anyone has been on a low dose for a period of more than 2 years, AND had joint soreness as a side effect... when switching to low dose, did your side effects go away?

i'd love to have clear skin again but not at the cost of my bones.

I'm on low dose but will be on for about 8-9 months (I'm in month 5 - alternating with 20mg one day and 30mg the next). I have mild side effects, achiness being one. My skin isn't really dry (not flakey) and my lips and eyes are dry (but not peely or really irritated). Yes, clear skin gives such a boost. I know what you mean being on Tane and how the results are good, but the sides can be a pain - literally. :)

Have you tried calculating a lower dose, say like 30mg for a bit longer time than 5 months, maybe like 8-9 months, but not 2 years in length? My Derm. said lower dose is good, especially for sensitive skins, but I think you will still have some mild side effects at lower dose, and personally two years may be a bit long. Up to you though.

Good luck in your decision.

Yvette

I've heard of people on low dose for up to 18 months, I wouldn't be surprized if they extended to 2 years, especially for very low dose.

If I had the choice, I would have done it that way (low dose for over a year).

yes im sure it is possible for you to go on 20 mg for 2 years and not get many side affects but.... you dont no what your liver will do.. okay your liver may be under more pressure on 60mg for 6 months but im sure if you did 20mg for 2 years that would be worse as you liver is being attacked slightly for 2 years and it needs a rest maby every 8 months soo maby in my opinion you should do maby:P

20mg for 8 months

REST- give liver time to recover abit say 4 months (remeber accutane will still be in ur system for 2 months after u finish)

20mg for 8 months

REST- 4 months again

30mg- 4 months to finish off and bee acne/oil free:D

yeh i think you would be wise to rest at least a few months every 6 months if you are planning low dose treatment for years and years

plus if you rest for a few months you might find that your acne is in remission and that more accutane is not necessary

anyway a break for your liver is the main thing

tim

anyone been on low dose accutane for more than 2 years?

about 8 months ago i finished a 5 month course of i think it was 60mg/day ... i had FANTASTIC results, no oil, shrunk pores, sebaceous hyperplasia shrunk considerably, and the only side effects i had were dryness around my mouth/chin and a sore knee.

the sore knee part scared me though... so i have been hesitant to get back on accutane. so if anyone has been on a low dose for a period of more than 2 years, AND had joint soreness as a side effect... when switching to low dose, did your side effects go away?

i'd love to have clear skin again but not at the cost of my bones.

I am about to start 20mg daily any day now. I have worked mu cummulative dose and that means Ill be on 20mg daily for 14 months solid. Its about 60 weeks.