Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LK2507

Yaz made skin slightly worse will it worsen when I stop?

I have been on Yaz for 5 months now. My skin before yaz (before may) was good, oily as usual but I would only get 2 MAYBE 3 small short lived inflammed zits a month, maybe less even. I was so afraid to go on BC cause you never know what they can do to your hormones but I chose Yaz because it is suppost to be good for acne. Well since on it I have gotten slightly more, the 1st few months was barable I thought I can take this But THEN the last 2 months (1 each month) I got these 2 Big ones, almost cystic. One of htem I have now, hence me on here freaking out. I told myself Id give yaz 5 months and I have and I think this takes the cake of me wanting off. Im having other undesirable side effects like moodiness (another thing yaz is suppost to help with!)

Even though with these big ones once a month so far its not HORRIBLE but Im still freaked out. I used ot have moderate severe acne and I worked so hard to get it under control with a corse of accutane 2 years ago and the regimen with other things to maintain. Im so afraid this has changed my skin for bad even after I stop

So my question is. Does anyone Know or have you experienced a birth control making your have acne worse, or even for the 1st time and if so did it go away when you stopped? Im SO afraid this stuff will have messed me up and I wont be back to where I was before it.

Any experinces shared would be appreciated, Yaz or any other BC. Thanks

I have the same question! But for Yasmin instead; I'm about to start in a few days. Anyone??

The only thing I know is that yes, it could make your acne worse. There are various cases of BC pills making acne worse, at least initially. I don't know what happens when you stop. My guess is that it would take a while to go back to normal...

I complained about my issues (which in non perfectionist perspective are NOT that bad) Offered to write me a perscription for LoEstrin FE 24. Anyone heard of it? I cant find much info in it and acne but I have ready a couple things about that doctors do use it to treat acne. Not sure if its FDA approved for treating or not..

Anyone have any experience on it?

I am on Loestrin 24 and it has helped clear my face up :dance: . I had jawline acne but after taking Loestrin 24 for 2 months it cleared right up. You should give a try and see if it works for you but remember a birth control takes least 6 months to see results or maybe even 10 months.

If your acne has gotten worse and is still worse 5 packs later, you probably should switch. Especially if you have other, undesirable side effects. Loestrin 24 Fe...actually my OBGYN gave me this to try. Said it was better for acne trouble. I'm on Lo/Ovral. But I did some math with the progestin potency and, from what I calculated, I determined that Loestrin might be worse for my acne than the Lo/Ovral, which is supposedly pretty androgenic but it doesn't seem to break me out. My OBGYN gave me the choice of staying on the Lo/Ovral or trying the Loestrin, and I'm staying on the Lo/Ovral for now. I may try the Loestrin after my acne calms down all the way, not sure yet.

My experience with acne and birth control...I have tried several different pills in the last 5-6 years. Usually the ones that increased my acne did so within the first 2-3 months, and it never got better or kept getting worse. The ones that decreased my acne also did so within the first 2-3 months, and it continued to get better after that.

Also, a common thought is that higher estrogen pills are better for acne. The higher level of estrogen helps balance out the high testosterone levels that might be causing acne. Loestrin is a very low dose pill (20 mcgm of estrogen I believe, it may be 25 mcgm). Yaz is also a very low dose, 20 I believe. Most of the pills approved to treat acne have higher levels of estrogen - Yasmin (30 mcgm), Ortho Tri-cyclen (35 mcgm), Estrostep (20, 30, 35 mcgm I think - it varies by the week). I think this is why I do better on Lo/Ovral (30 mcgm). Although I will say that I broke out pretty badly on Ovcon-35, which has 35 mcgm. So really it just depends on your body and how it reacts to a particular pill's formulation.

i hate yasmin, yasmin ruined my skin, ididnt go on it for long but imagine if i did omg... but even so now im trying to get rid of off all the red marks it left me. i stopped breaking out immediatly after i got off it. i hate yasmin...

anyways, i hope everything works out for ppl on yaz /yasmin.. i went on it cuz so many ppl were doing well on it but it just shows that everyone is differnt. so just wanted to give u a heads up.

I am on my 2nd pack of yaz with one more week to go. It has recently been approved by the FDA to treat acne. That being said, I had moderate acne prior to starting and it is much worse. I did not start taknig yaz to clear up my skin....I have HORRIBLE monthly cycles. Ortho cause me to bleed everyday and cramp and bloat. I have lost 5 pounds since I started yaz and none of those other side effects. I have heard a lot of complaints about yaz making you moody, but I have been MUCH better with that as well; yaz definately helps me in that way. It helped my period a lot, but my acne has been worse. I am about to start accutane in a few weeks, and when my derm asked me about what kind of bc I was on, he said yaz is really good for your skin. I told him that it didn't seem to be helping mine, and he told me that it takes 3 months. I don't know if it is getting worse before it is getting better or what. But after my experience on ortho I don't want to switch bc. The way my periods were pre-yaz, I don't think I will stop taking it. Starting accutane for the acne instead!

SO I posted this almost a year ago and was on here reading through stuff and thought Id give an update.. shortly after this post.. prob about in Oct and Nov my skin cleared up and stayed next to perfect all through the winter. I still use the regimen, with AHA at night also.

I have started breaking out around my period this month so Im a little freaked but I think its a combo of things. A) I think I had a super hormone surge this month because I had higher than normal moodiness, and other things that I can tell are hormone related. Also Ive been eating like CRAP, TONS of suger, and it has been nasty and muggy here were I live then all of a sudden cooling off, crazy weather can do it I believe.

Anyway my point for posting was to say that it took a good 6 months for my skin to adjust to Yaz and stop freaking out. I have had a few other things happen that I believe I can blame on yaz though which leaves me still wishing to get off of it. A) Ive noticed more small spider veins on my face and legs (im 26 and had had SOME but they have gotten worse, still bearable but worse for my perfection seaking eyes) B) Ive also always had these small white speckles I get in the summer when I can on my lower legs mainly, well they have Significanty worsen.. Its called idiopathic hyopmelinosis or something.. caused my sun damage.. and hormones can be involved.. BLEH! Finally, my sex drive has sucked... I think others can relate, and most BC pills can do that.

So with that said I still have the worry of if when I decide to discontinue my quest on Yaz, if my acne will stay the same, go back to how it was pre Yaz, which was very minor breakout, OR erupt because Im throwing my hormones through loops... any ideas or experiences? Im considering getting on evening primrose to help balance while I get off, I think I will wait for fall or winter to get off though so I dont have this heat/humidity to fight..

Oh and another thing.. Yaz never seemed to lessen my oily skin, so I wonder how it really works to prevent breakouts? hmmmm

Hi, i've been on yasmin for 2 weeks now and have noticed spots appearing around my ear/neck area and i was getting similar outbreaks to what i do when i'm due to have a period, altho i wasnt due to have one. The doctor said to give it 3 months, however, i have ordered dianette from an online pharmacy as i know its the best for acne. Friends have used it with good results. My doctor would make me wait a few months on the yasmin and probably try me on antibiotics first before giving me dianette (NHS thing!) Just hope they arrive soon!

In the meantime i'm trying Duac gel, altho i used it last night and now my face looks really red and hot! not great!

Hi, i've been on yasmin for 2 weeks now and have noticed spots appearing around my ear/neck area and i was getting similar outbreaks to what i do when i'm due to have a period, altho i wasnt due to have one. The doctor said to give it 3 months, however, i have ordered dianette from an online pharmacy as i know its the best for acne. Friends have used it with good results. My doctor would make me wait a few months on the yasmin and probably try me on antibiotics first before giving me dianette (NHS thing!) Just hope they arrive soon!

In the meantime i'm trying Duac gel, altho i used it last night and now my face looks really red and hot! not great!

You have to give any BCP 3-5 months to work before giving up. BCPs are not fast solutions and you will get worse the first few months in as your body adjusts to the hormones. It's best to see how a lower dose BCP works for you before going to something like Dianette without a doctor's supervision. Higher dose pills tend to have much worse side effects than the low-dose pills.

thanks for the advice. Ideally i was hoping the dr would give me dianette straight away as she said it would clear my skin beautifully, but that i should start with a another topical first. I asked for yasmin as i was on microgynon for years which isnt the best pill.

Yeah i might continue with the next 2 packs of yasmin before dianette, see how i go with the duac..altho its not been good so far! Have not used any tonight apart from dotting a little bit on a few spots. My face is still red!

I am currently on Yasmin .. been taking it for 3 weeks now. I wouldnt say that it is responsible for helping clear up my skin ALL TOGETHER because I am using other things on my face. But I did notice that my skin was less oily once I started Yasmin. I haven't noticed any horrible changes since I started .. my mood is stable .. .. sex drive is still at 110% .. & haven't noticed any of the side effects most people who reviewed Yasmin complained of .. my breasts are bigger than before and I haven't gained any weight.

Prior to this back in 2006 I used Ortho Lo for about 1 month and 1/2 than I stopped because I was bleeding everyday .. But it did contribute to clearing my skin up very nicely. I have hormonal acne because of a hormonal imbalance, irregular period.. So BC def levels my hormones and helps with all the problems I face.

I think that some girls have more normal hormones and they take BC and than they experience horrible breakouts because there hormone levels get all jacked up.. :think: