Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hey guys, I'm new here but I read topics around here before as a guest. I don't really have acne but my brother has and he is unhappy about it.

my bro has severe cystic-nodule acne and he is taking istretinoin now. He has been taking it for about a month now and is getting more and more unhappy. You see he broke out real bad before isotretinoin and now he seems to be getting worse as his back and shoulder blades are covered in acne, some are cystic and i think it bled when he sleeps because his shirt is sometimes bloody when he wakes up. He wants to drop istretoin. I feel sorry for him, is there anything he can do now?

Well, I don't think there is much to do if he wants to drop accutane. He should stick through the entire treatment. Accutane takes a long time to work. But if he thinks the side effects are worse than the potential benefits he should stop. Otherwise I doubt he will clear in the near future(can last for 10 years or more, or less if he is lucky).

Please reassure your brother that the first month generally brings the dreaded 'initial breakout' where the skin just purges like mad. It does sound like he's experiencing that right now. It does get better, but first it gets really icky.

He can apply ice to the larger, more painful lesions to help him sleep.

If his derm says it is ok, he can take ibuprofen for pain and the swelling of the lesions.

If you point your brother this way, he can make his own account and get direct reassurance here from other people who have also been through Accutane.

Let him know that Accutane works very well for most people and that it is particularly excellent for severe cystic acne.

He's 18. Isn't isotrinoin suppose to help? Why is he breaking out more then usual? Will it subside soon. If he drop isotretinoin is there anything else he can take. He took minocillin, clindarmycin and some other antibiotics before. Some cleared him up before but for a while but it came back. He's now using some cetaphil soap and benzamycin but it isn't seem to be working. And I heard isotretinoin can cause depression, my bro's unahppy now, will he get worse?

He's 18. Isn't isotrinoin suppose to help? Why is he breaking out more then usual? Will it subside soon. If he drop isotretinoin is there anything else he can take. He took minocillin, clindarmycin and some other antibiotics before. Some cleared him up before but for a while but it came back. He's now using some cetaphil soap and benzamycin but it isn't seem to be working. And I heard isotretinoin can cause depression, my bro's unahppy now, will he get worse?

Yes the doctor did tell him that but we didn't expect it to get this bad. His acne used to be on the neck, face and upper back but now it has spreaded to his lower back. He doesn't shave anynore because it hurts a lot.

Thanks everyone for your posts, I will reassure him and share my account with him. I will help him ice the lesions if he needs to.

Ok, cool.

I think it's nice that you are there for him, and want to help him with his acne. I wish I had someone like that.

I've been using an electric razor throughout my course but luckily I don't actually have to shave that often. And as well since it was the summer I just let my hair grow out, it didn't really bother me or my friend seeing my scraggly moustache and goatee.

The reason it will begin to get bad is because the deeply embedded cysts and pimples wil begin to show themselves through the use of the medication, instead of through day-to-day life where it may lay dormant within your skin for as long as 6 months to a year. I remember reading in some reports that said you should be getting around 12-15 months worth of acne within only 3-4 months. Stick in there and be optimistic.

yea i agree electric razor is best and be careful. Take it from me i've been done with accutane counting 4-5months now and i couldn't be happier. I know for a fact if i hadn't taken it that i would still have very bad acne seeing how im still 18. Tell your bro to keep with it. In about 4-6 months he won't regret doing this.

Hey man; just tell him to stick at it, as mentioned above the first 1-3 months somtimes result in the acne getting worse, but after that he should see some results. It's really nice that you would post on here to help your brother out.

The reason it will begin to get bad is because the deeply embedded cysts and pimples wil begin to show themselves through the use of the medication, instead of through day-to-day life where it may lay dormant within your skin for as long as 6 months to a year. I remember reading in some reports that said you should be getting around 12-15 months worth of acne within only 3-4 months.

It's gonna take some time, I'm on month 1.5 and my bacne is drastically better but right at the beginning the outbreak was so bad I was on a steroidal anti-inflammitory.

Also the one thing I noticed is that where normally my face was 100% clear before accutane (my bacne was the only problem) I'm now getting acne on my face. I just thank god it's not bad.

he should keep taking the accutane. it will clear up, but it takes a while to work. he shouldn't stop taking it just because the acne isn't clear yet (or is slightly worse), that's normal. give it a couple more months.

also, he should talk to his dermatologist. maybe his dose can be adjusted or he can use other medications, like antibiotics or possibly prednisone, along with the accutane to help with the inflammation.

Please, do not not let him stop the Accutane. He needs to go the whole course and probably on the highest dose possible. A little while after the course is over, he can get scar/red mark treatments and be set to be able to live a completely normal life again.

hi people, thought I just update you about my brother. Well he visited the doctor on thursday and the doctor gave him some injections on his back and put him on steriods and some antibiotic as well as a foam wash call evoclin together with accutane. He was also put on sick leave till his inflammation goes down which was really bad when he visited the doctor. He is currently doing very well and some of his cysts went down. He may be returning to school on wednesday if it continues to be this way and he does seem a lot happier.

I do know that the doctor classify his acne as really severe because my bro mention that the doctor told him he was the worst case he had ever seen and the possibility that my bro will come back for several accutane courses is pretty high. Scarring is also a very high possibility.

My bro most probably got the acne genes from our mother because she has some scarring on her face showing that she did have quite severe acne in the past plus my mom still has acne even though she is already 50! She heard from the doctor that accutane could be a cure and she is considering going on it is afraid that since she is already quite old, it may work against her instead. Is that so? Should my mom go on it as well?

I'm still helping my bro ice the inflammation which has gone down quite a but after those jabs. :wub:

I was hoping someone can answer my previous post. I saw that most people take accutane in their teens or latest by late twenties. Has anyone middle-age like about forties and fifities took accutane? My mom is thinking of taking it with my bro but will it work for someone who still has acne even when she is already 50?

Bump?

hi people, thought I just update you about my brother. Well he visited the doctor on thursday and the doctor gave him some injections on his back and put him on steriods and some antibiotic as well as a foam wash call evoclin together with accutane. He was also put on sick leave till his inflammation goes down which was really bad when he visited the doctor. He is currently doing very well and some of his cysts went down. He may be returning to school on wednesday if it continues to be this way and he does seem a lot happier.

I do know that the doctor classify his acne as really severe because my bro mention that the doctor told him he was the worst case he had ever seen and the possibility that my bro will come back for several accutane courses is pretty high. Scarring is also a very high possibility.

My bro most probably got the acne genes from our mother because she has some scarring on her face showing that she did have quite severe acne in the past plus my mom still has acne even though she is already 50! She heard from the doctor that accutane could be a cure and she is considering going on it is afraid that since she is already quite old, it may work against her instead. Is that so? Should my mom go on it as well?

I'm still helping my bro ice the inflammation which has gone down quite a but after those jabs. :wub:

i must admit i had bad back acne when i went on roaccuntane - it cleared it up and its never come back. However my face still gets it. hence why im gonna try go back on it next month.