Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Girl24

Insulin Resistance

It may not be everyone's problem, but I bet a good portion of us on this site have insulin resistance, and it's causing our acne.

I couldn't stand the fact that for the last two years, everytime I ate something with sugar, I'd get huge pimples on my cheeks within hours, or that my face was constantly oily. I didn't realize it was this until I gave it up, and then introduced it again. (If my face ever came in contact with my clothes, I would leave huge grease marks on the fabric.) Why did my sisters who had such clear skin, and all my friends get to eat all those things without breaking out. Why was I suddenly different?

I always had some acne growing up, but it was always managable. (Looking back, I ate massive amounts of junk because I'm thin, and it never put any weight on me. I thought I could get away with it.)

I decided to give up wheat as well as sugar after some reading. No more big pimples, and less oil, but pores were still clogging deep within my skin. It felt like there were thousands. I knew it had to be more than a wheat allergy, if sugar seemed to be the problem too, considering they both break down to glucose. So after more research, and talking with my naturopath, we've concluded that insulin resistance is the problem - my body no longer responding to the insulin, resulting in surges of hormones creating massive amounts of oil, thus leading to acne.

How do I know this is it - well I was still eating rice and fruit, still oily (not as much) and pores were still clogging. Now I've been lo-carb (no grains or fruit, just veg. and protein) for almost two weeks. Within four days there was a difference. After being only 70% clear, I'm now at 85%. Still waiting for those last pores to clear, and some marks to fade.

I've also been taking a multivitamin called "Accunatural." It was compiled by Dr. Dean Goodless in Florida. It contains berberine which helps kill the acne bacteria and increase insulin sensitivy. He wrote a book about the relationship between diet and acne, and it makes complete sense, in regards to this problem. Also, he mentions dairy having somewhat of a similar effect, and I can say this is true for me. It clogged hundreds of pores on my back.

Insulin sensitivity can be gained back in 2-3 months, and you can bet, I'm sticking to this diet if it means I will have clear skin.

(IR is also the cause of PCOS, and I think I was on that track as I started developing severe PMS - including migraines, more breakouts, late periods, breakthrough bleeding, etc. None of which I ever had before. I don't think this means IR is just the cause of acne for women, it may be the cause for men as well. It's still increased hormones, like testosterone.)

The scary part is that IR can lead to a whole assortment of problems including type II diabetes. I'd hate to think that if I wasn't so motivated in getting clear skin, that I would have continued to eat like this and eventually could have ended up being diabetic, even if I am thin. In a way, I guess it's good I ended up with acne.

I hope this info helps someone else.

I'm taking metformin for my IR. I havent seen any improvement in my acne and its been about 2 months on it. Yasmin c;eared me completely but it made me suffer from depression and anxiety. I then tried ortho lo and it broke me out into cysts. So I'm done with BC and need an alternative to lower my test.

Have you changed your diet at all? I don't know if taking a pill to help, but then not changing your diet will make an impact. I'm not one for medication. If there's something I can do without taking pills if they're not totally necessary, then I'll do it.

I just found this article - check out the source. Maybe Drs. are finally coming around to acknowledge the relationship.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews....YCEMIC-ACNE.xml

I tried taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen lo and it increased my acne. This was before I found out about IR. I had higher levels of testosterone in my body a while back, and tried a lot of natural things, but nothing really helped, not until I started this lo glycemic, protein veg diet, and that supplement. (Google Dr. Dean Goodless. That's where I found the supplement.)

What happens with the insulin, as you may already know, since our bodies don't respond to it, more get's produced and a surge of hormones happen as a result, messing up our skin and periods for women, etc.

I'm not a doctor, but I've done so much research and trials on myself to get my skin clear. I know this worked for me, and it does suck not being able to eat food.

If you don't have to stay on that pill, I wouldn't do it. Obviously, consult your doctor first, but my suggestion is a naturopath only because they'll work with the problem, not cover it up.

Cut the stuff out of your diet, and you'll see a definite decrease. I'm sure of it.

Oh, one more thing, I read one of your posts on your profile. You mentioned weighing only 100. I'm 115 at 5'7, so with this lo glycemic diet, I have to try really hard to maintain that weight, since I burn everything off, and there's no carbs for now. I didn't realize you could be IR and be thin.

Actually, protein can be a problem, as well. I used to get really low blood sugar if I ate a high-protein, low-carb meal. (I say used to, because I haven't tried it in years. I'm not a masochist.) That never made sense to me until I came across some information on the insulin index. It's like the glycemic index except it measures the amount of insulin in the blood in response to various foods instead of the amount glucose.

Many of the high-protein foods (the meats, at least) that they tested caused an insulin release completely out of proportion to the amount of sugar in those foods. For example, fish has the same insulin index as an apple, but a much lower glucose index. So I'm pretty sure what was happening to me when I ate protein without much carb was that I was getting a release of insulin with no glucose for it to act on.

It's too bad that there hasn't been any research done on the insulin index since the original tests were done. They only tested 38 foods.

Anyway, there's my two cents.

Good point with the Insulin Resistance. I think I am in the same boat. I had a pretty brutal breakout these past couple of days. (its healing fast, but still not sure what caused it foodwise). I definitely want to find out soon and get to the root cause.

The only thing I can think of is stuffing myself with chinese food last weekend. Maybe thats what triggered it --- the large amount of rice / starch.

Actually, protein can be a problem, as well. I used to get really low blood sugar if I ate a high-protein, low-carb meal. (I say used to, because I haven't tried it in years. I'm not a masochist.) That never made sense to me until I came across some information on the insulin index. It's like the glycemic index except it measures the amount of insulin in the blood in response to various foods instead of the amount glucose.

Many of the high-protein foods (the meats, at least) that they tested caused an insulin release completely out of proportion to the amount of sugar in those foods. For example, fish has the same insulin index as an apple, but a much lower glucose index. So I'm pretty sure what was happening to me when I ate protein without much carb was that I was getting a release of insulin with no glucose for it to act on.

It's too bad that there hasn't been any research done on the insulin index since the original tests were done. They only tested 38 foods.

Anyway, there's my two cents.

The amount of medical disinformation on these boards amazes me.

Insulin resistance is a lot bigger problem than acne. If you have it then you should talk to a doctor. NOT a bunch of kids on an acne message board. You could be setting yourself up for a bunch of problems down the line.

How do you know you are insulin resistant? You gave absolutely no evidence of it and it has very little to do with acne.

Get your blood sugar checked at a doctor. if you are as thin as you have said, you are at low risk for IR. Fats actually induce IR and the thinner you are the less risk you have. Most diet information is garbage, you need to exercise, eat a balanced diet including carbs, fruits and veggies, protein and fats.

I bet you workout at least a bit every week? Exercise is proven to lessen resistance to insulin.

My blood was done by an endocrinologist. I just find it funny that I have IR and I'm thin. Also, how come no doc has ever told me im IR before? I am starting to believe it is bc of the BC pills (I was on them when I had my blood test done) Yasmin takes away most of the minerals in your body and messes with your adrenal glands bc it is a mineralcortoid (sp?) not sure if the BC even has anything to do with it but I'm just curious.

The amount of medical disinformation on these boards amazes me.

Insulin resistance is a lot bigger problem than acne. If you have it then you should talk to a doctor. NOT a bunch of kids on an acne message board. You could be setting yourself up for a bunch of problems down the line.

How do you know you are insulin resistant? You gave absolutely no evidence of it and it has very little to do with acne.

Get your blood sugar checked at a doctor. if you are as thin as you have said, you are at low risk for IR. Fats actually induce IR and the thinner you are the less risk you have. Most diet information is garbage, you need to exercise, eat a balanced diet including carbs, fruits and veggies, protein and fats.

I bet you workout at least a bit every week? Exercise is proven to lessen resistance to insulin.

I can't believe someone else is taking Accunatural besides me! Finally!

I've been on it for a few weeks and the calming of my skin is amazing. I will never be without this supplement.

I also have Dr. Goodless' book and also a new book called The Clear Skin Diet, written by a dermatologist and Naturopath doctor. They go over everything Dr. Goodless goes over in his book, but with far more detail.

Yes, insulin resistance definitely is a factor in my opinion. However, I also feel eating good fats and whole grains over refined products and saturated fats (low carb never helped my acne) is helping me incredibly.

Plus I use salicylic acid (no benzoyl peroxide for me), and I'm also going to add topical vitamin A (retinol or other over the counter forms) to my skin regimen.

...so glad someone mentioned Accunatural at last!

P.S. I'm 54, and STILL have oily skin and acne, although the supplements and diet are helping tremendously...

glad there's a section here for us "older" folks.

I can't believe someone else is taking Accunatural besides me! Finally!

I've been on it for a few weeks and the calming of my skin is amazing. I will never be without this supplement.

I also have Dr. Goodless' book and also a new book called The Clear Skin Diet, written by a dermatologist and Naturopath doctor. They go over everything Dr. Goodless goes over in his book, but with far more detail.

Yes, insulin resistance definitely is a factor in my opinion. However, I also feel eating good fats and whole grains over refined products and saturated fats (low carb never helped my acne) is helping me incredibly.

Plus I use salicylic acid (no benzoyl peroxide for me), and I'm also going to add topical vitamin A (retinol or other over the counter forms) to my skin regimen.

...so glad someone mentioned Accunatural at last!

P.S. I'm 54, and STILL have oily skin and acne, although the supplements and diet are helping tremendously...

glad there's a section here for us "older" folks.

I eat healthy lots of fruits and veggies, salads etc. Ive noticed from taking metformini have no appetite and it makes me light headed a lot even if I do eat and I have to drink a soda then im no longer light headed. Thats kinda why I question being insulin resistance (even tho blood test said I am, but like I said before I think that is do to the yasmin bc I was taking bc Ive never been IR before). I'm going to try this accunatural.

I don't understand how you can survive on these diets.

Eliminate fat, wheat, dairy, sugar and that leaves you with..vegatables and fruits

So what should I eat? a plate full of raw vegatables every night for supper?? I don't think so. that would never work for me

no no no fuzion, you are being way too generous with that diet

you have to eliminate the fruits because they have sugar too

and eliminate all veggies with any carbs because they will cause skin issues as well

oops now you have no macronutrients left and you will die, at least you will have clear skin then !

i should respost my "summary of dietary advice for acne sufferers" in which i cut out all food that exists

seriously...high protein + high fat (no trans fat + low sat fat though) is the way to go for acne sufferers and overall health in general

I have a question ive been having bad acne sometimes i may go 1-2 weeks w/o breaking out, sometimes i may breakout as bad as 2-3 times a week. How long after doin an IR diet did you notice results??? I just had a really big meal last week and had a very bad breakout just days after and this might be my cause for acne. Since ive kept records of how often i would breakout (the date and severity) i could never could find a pattern, come to think about it i think it might stem from my eating habits. Im going to do some experimenting just to see if this is my problem.

I have a question ive been having bad acne sometimes i may go 1-2 weeks w/o breaking out, sometimes i may breakout as bad as 2-3 times a week. How long after doin an IR diet did you notice results??? I just had a really big meal last week and had a very bad breakout just days after and this might be my cause for acne. Since ive kept records of how often i would breakout (the date and severity) i could never could find a pattern, come to think about it i think it might stem from my eating habits. Im going to do some experimenting just to see if this is my problem.

thanks what you have seems to be like wat i might have, theres certain days where my skin would be normal oily but then there are days where its just a pool of oil. Aside from that the oil on the skin would fluctuate wildly sometimes puddles sometimes just enough so the skin feels smooth and ive noticed my breakouts were the same like i said b4 it would range from 1 cyst every 2 weeks or 5 cysts in less than a week and pretty much anything inbetween. for the past couple days ive tried eating fewer carbs (not completely eliminating them) but instead of eating an entire sandwich at one sitting i tried to cut it into quarters then eat those over 3-4 hours. I really cant cut out carbs completely i need to do so much walking each day i need my glycogen to replenish. Any tips would be helpful

thanks what you have seems to be like wat i might have, theres certain days where my skin would be normal oily but then there are days where its just a pool of oil. Aside from that the oil on the skin would fluctuate wildly sometimes puddles sometimes just enough so the skin feels smooth and ive noticed my breakouts were the same like i said b4 it would range from 1 cyst every 2 weeks or 5 cysts in less than a week and pretty much anything inbetween. for the past couple days ive tried eating fewer carbs (not completely eliminating them) but instead of eating an entire sandwich at one sitting i tried to cut it into quarters then eat those over 3-4 hours. I really cant cut out carbs completely i need to do so much walking each day i need my glycogen to replenish. Any tips would be helpful

i think i have this. i recently found out that i'm pregnant and i started eating more fruits and veg and less carbs. i have never eaten all that healthy - a normal day for me is a bagel for breakfast, and cereal or pasta for dinner and lots of sugary foods - my husband says i eat like a kid whose parents aren't home. i don't do a lick of exercise, which i'm also going to change. i've always been thin and i guess i thought that's all that mattered.

i was hoping my skin would clear up because of hormonal changes, but it actually got worse. not until i changed my diet in the 7th or 8th week of pregnancy did i start to see improvements in my skin. and the more research i do, the more i'm finding the descriptions fit me to a T. going back to my endocrinologist...and possibly a nutritionist...