Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rileynash

Washing face on Tretinoin

I'm wondering when a good time is to wash your face after putting the tretinoin on. For example, on a day when you aren't going out anywhere and you put the cream on in the morning, can you wash it off 6 hours later, or just wait until you shower at night? Does washing it off after 6 hours make it less effective? I'm just wondering because it makes my skin really red and maybe washing it off would help with that.

It's usually prescribed to use at night, so it would be left on all night.

Are you sure your derm prescribed it for daytime use? Light actually deactivates it is why it is normally prescribed for night time use.

Yea my derm prescribed Tretinoin for daytime and BP for night. I think she wants me to use the Tret during the day because it has SPF, but I don't go out much in the sun anyway so it's cool.

Tretinoin does not have SPF in it. Well I know the standard treatment is to use tretinoin at night and a BP product in the morning, however I have read that this is sometimes reversed. I don't remember the reasoning behind it though.