Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leslie788

What causes inflamation?

Does anyone know what causes inflamation? Nearly all of my pimples become inflamed eventually. Sometimes they are just bumps the color of my skin but then after a week or so they became inflamed. Why is this?

Oh, by the way I have been on tretinoin & doxycycline for 4 weeks today, so maybe it has to do with that? I never got so many inflamed pimples before, even the small ones are inflamed. Then again, I never really got so many pimples before... (guess I'm still in the initial breakout stage, but I might be seeing some fading of red/purple marks.)

basically your body's reaction to the bacteria that gets trapped in the follicle is what causes the inflammation.

Lots of things can cause inflamation. Generally with acne, the inflamation is the body's response when fighting the acne bacteria. Inflamation can be caused by other things though - skin irritation is one. It may be that the tretinoin is causing some irritation and leading to inflamation of existing clogged pores that you have. That is what happened to me with Differin.

Lots of things can cause inflamation. Generally with acne, the inflamation is the body's response when fighting the acne bacteria. Inflamation can be caused by other things though - skin irritation is one. It may be that the tretinoin is causing some irritation and leading to inflamation of existing clogged pores that you have. That is what happened to me with Differin.

But isn't that the doxycycline's job, to fight the bacteria? Yeah, the tretinoin has been making my skin a little red and itchy at times.

But isn't that the doxycycline's job, to fight the bacteria? Yeah, the tretinoin has been making my skin a little red and itchy at times.

Yeah, it can take time for the doxy to kick in though - sometimes a couple months. Also, if the inflamation is due more to irritation, then the doxy may be less effective in controlling it. Give it another month on the doxy and retin-A and see how things are then. Its hard to tell after just a month - it takes acne treatments longer to work than that.

diet... you put inflammatory foods into your bodies that cause insulin raises and effect hormones and thats what happens

diet... you put inflammatory foods into your bodies that cause insulin raises and effect hormones and thats what happens

What foods are inflammatory foods? I eat really healthy so I don't understand what I could be eating that could be bad for my face.

What foods are inflammatory foods? I eat really healthy so I don't understand what I could be eating that could be bad for my face.

NOOOOOOOO, I love peanuts and peanut butter! Boohoo! I have cut iodine from my diet (it used to be in my multivitamin, stopped taking those.) I don't have much dairy, usually just milk with my cereal. I guess I can cut back on dairy a little, but I can't completely since it's still part of the food pyramid. But I really like ice-cream, that's like the only dessert worth all the calories...I was planning to get some tonight, guess not anymore. And I've never had sushi in my life, so that's not a problem.

Also, do I really need to change my diet because of acne? I wasn't even getting acne until I started using tretinoin/doxycylcine (initial breakout, I guess). I was only trying to treat red/purple spots (I cleared after drinking lots more of water.)

NOOOOOOOO, I love peanuts and peanut butter! Boohoo! I have cut iodine from my diet (it used to be in my multivitamin, stopped taking those.) I don't have much dairy, usually just milk with my cereal. I guess I can cut back on dairy a little, but I can't completely since it's still part of the food pyramid. But I really like ice-cream, that's like the only dessert worth all the calories...I was planning to get some tonight, guess not anymore. And I've never had sushi in my life, so that's not a problem.

Also, do I really need to change my diet because of acne? I wasn't even getting acne until I started using tretinoin/doxycylcine (initial breakout, I guess). I was only trying to treat red/purple spots (I cleared after drinking lots more of water.)

Unless you feel like you are really sensitive to a particular food, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think you would just want to make sure you don't overdo it on some of these foods (e.g., don't eat peanut butter every day, etc.). I think diet is more of an exacerbating factor - probably contributing more to the inflamation of existing comedones rather than to the clogging of pores. The one exception may be iodine - medications high in iodine can induce acne even in people who are not acne prone.