Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
qrich

MAJOR HELP NEEDED WITH REDMARK

First of all I have a brown skin tone. I had a huge cystic zit in January of this year. It was on my left cheek under my eye. I tried al kinds of things to shrink it. I performed some deeply regretted actions now. First I held applied ACV to a cotton ball and held it on the zit for a long time, about 30 min or so. Afterwards I squeezed it to find out there were 3 blocked pores in one zit! It was not a pretty sight. I don't know how to describe it, but the epidermis had been damaged and there was red flesh visible. So it formed a scab and I peeled it off. So it seems the skin has healed in a deformed way and I have a very noticeable mark on my cheek below my eye where the zit was. I went to my derm and was told I couldn't do any treatments (laser, etc) because of my darker skin tone. So I was prescribed tretinoin cream and 100 mg minocycline pills. My acne is no longer a problem but this scar/redmark is. It basically is an uneven and noticable red mark. Is it permanent? Will cocoa butter help with the redness? What will grow the melanin back faster? Any help is greatly appreciated.

(Mark is more noticeable in person with more defined edges than in pic)

http://i17.tinypic.com/52238er.jpg

Hi grich!

It's actually a cute scar, believe it or not.

But I do notice that you do need to exfoliate a bit; adding in some very very gentle manual exfoliation will help your skin texture. The baby's hair brush method or the electric spinning head toothbrush method work great for gentle exfoliation. You just use your normal sensitive skin cleanser with either method and clear your pores while exfoliating.

The manual exfoliation combined with the tretinoin cream may, over time, help minimize the appearance of the scar. Another option is to use a silicone scar sheet over that area. If the scar is relatively new (less than a year old), that may help it a bit. Won't hurt to do both: manual exfoliation and silicone scar sheet.

Hi grich!

It's actually a cute scar, believe it or not.

But I do notice that you do need to exfoliate a bit; adding in some very very gentle manual exfoliation will help your skin texture. The baby's hair brush method or the electric spinning head toothbrush method work great for gentle exfoliation. You just use your normal sensitive skin cleanser with either method and clear your pores while exfoliating.

The manual exfoliation combined with the tretinoin cream may, over time, help minimize the appearance of the scar. Another option is to use a silicone scar sheet over that area. If the scar is relatively new (less than a year old), that may help it a bit. Won't hurt to do both: manual exfoliation and silicone scar sheet.