Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
theprinceofengland

How Can People let Acne Get the Best of them?

I cant understand how people wont go outside, have fun, hang out with friends, and all the good things in life... just because they have acne. How can they let this problem run their entire life? Okay, I admit that I have had my down days. Hell! My grade 10 year of school sucked since I had huge severe cystic acne all over my chin, and then pimples all over my face. I was horrified at myself, and the way I looked. I was completely distraught, but you know what? I didnt stay at home, I didnt wallow in my own self pity all the time.

No. I actually went out to live. To get what I was born for, to actually not let my life slide deeper down into the black abyss (So to speak.). I cant remember a single day that I wouldnt go out because I was too ashamed to. I hung out with my friends, went with them, had fun with them, went out to buy what I needed by myself. And sure sometimes, well most of the time, I was self conscious. Well you know what? Im tired of being that way. I wont let acne get the best of me, I wont let it hold me down, or prevent me doing what I want to do.

You know what? Its just something thats there. No ones perfect right? Im still not perfect, and I still have acne, though not as severe as it was. I tried pro-active... it didnt work. And I tried tons of other things. And you know what? None of it really worked. The only way I got rid of my severe cystic acne was some prescription pills, and some rub on prescription crap. And that only worked for so long. But do you know what? Im not going to let my acne ruin my life, cause you know what? It cant, only we can ruin our own lifes by letting it get the best of us.

I can still live as normal as anybody else, Im not going to spend my days at home. I can get a boyfriend, the only reason I really dont is because I am INCREDIBLY shy, and have been all my life. So dont be ashamed, you have the right to live just as everyone else, and to be as normal as you like. Just dont let this acne predicament getcha down all the time. Live AND let Live!! :dance:

Interesting post, and you know what's funny? I've found that people on here, if they had an active social life before acne... with friends they cared about and activities they enjoyed... those people seem to let acne affect them less. If one is introverted, without many hobbies or activities, it appears that severe acne can sometimes take a harder toll.

That's great that you were able to continue living without letting acne hinder you. I always have a tremendous amount of respect for people like you. I may be wrong, but it seems like you had a dynamic life before your acne became severe. Maybe that's why you could put having acne in perspective. For people who aren't as inclined, I imagine having acne can make it more difficult.

i know too. i feel that if you jus get up and get out there, in time you will feel more comfortable. even though i do not have severe acne i used to be sooo involved in it before where i would let it effect me. you also have to meet the right people. don't settle for less jus because you don't think you deserve it or you think the kinda treat you as a good friend. head up high

Interesting post, and you know what's funny? I've found that people on here, if they had an active social life before acne... with friends they cared about and activities they enjoyed... those people seem to let acne affect them less. If one is introverted, without many hobbies or activities, it appears that severe acne can sometimes take a harder toll.

That's great that you were able to continue living without letting acne hinder you. I always have a tremendous amount of respect for people like you. I may be wrong, but it seems like you had a dynamic life before your acne became severe. Maybe that's why you could put having acne in perspective. For people who aren't as inclined, I imagine having acne can make it more difficult.

i know too. i feel that if you jus get up and get out there, in time you will feel more comfortable. even though i do not have severe acne i used to be sooo involved in it before where i would let it effect me. you also have to meet the right people. don't settle for less jus because you don't think you deserve it or you think the kinda treat you as a good friend. head up high

You don't sound incredibly shy. :P I'm incredibly shy, and I let acne affect (effect? affect?) me lots. I guess you could say that I'm

introverted, without many hobbies or activities

Because no one has REAL life threatening problems so they pick the biggest problem in their life and feel sorry about it because it's human nature.

Yeah really.

Acne isn't the end of the world. I've been more open with my close friends about my acne and it's nice to know that they understand how I feel about it, and I also enjoy having them know that it's not as easy to deal with as many assume. For many years I've been very secretive about talking about it, and recently I would say 'I'm excited I'm going to be seeing a dermatologist...' Then they just open a whole list of questions for me, and it turns out they have wondered why my skin is that way. I've found it more relieving to explain to them how difficult it has been, and how little control I have had. They are understanding.

But even with my acne, I've joined clubs, participated in yearbook, journalism, etc. Sure if I had clear skin I probably would have taken over half the school but generally I tried to advance in whatever pertained to my interests.

So far, though, work has been the most difficult for me. It's one thing to participate in school but being put under a magnifying glass by an employer has been nerve wrecking.

You don't sound incredibly shy. :P I'm incredibly shy, and I let acne affect (effect? affect?) me lots. I guess you could say that I'm
introverted, without many hobbies or activities