Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Please help! Ive tried everything and now considering laser - advice??

I am a 23 year old female and have acne since I hit puberty. I have tried everything!!! Spend an absolute fortune in the process. I have been on accutane twice (when was 16 and again when I was 21). The second time my skin was amazin....but I have since relapsed as the dermatologist had warned me may happen. Ive also tried herbal remedies, chemical peels, omilux blue light. I own a BeautySkin box which I am currently using and this is my 10th week. It has made an improvement but I am still not confident enough to go without make-up. I use top of the range products as well.

As a last resort I am considering laser. However, my knowledge on it is limited and I was wondering if someone could help me. In my area I can have either IPL or Nlite but am not sure of the difference and which one works best. Can someone please please please advise me? I am getting so depressed at the amount of money Ive spent to still not have the results I was hoping for! My acne is still sore and really red. It concentrates at either side of my mouth.

Please help!

Thank you.

lasers won't cure acne. i tried the smoothbeam one, didnt do shit...it was very painful too. GL

Thats not the most constuctive advise. Here's my thoughts...

I think different things work for different people, if you think it might be worth it then you have to have a go. I have heard both positive and negative stuff about laser. Myself I am just embarking on N Lite ....we shall see. fingers crossed.

Keep with it, I know its hard but there is surely light at the end of the tunnel?? xx

YOU SOUND LIKE ME!!!!!!!!!1

I've been on Accutane 3 times.

Age 17, 19, and 21. Clears me up while I'm on it, but then I break out again when it's over.

So, we both have persistent acne.

I've done 3 laser treatments using a chemical called Levulan that is spread over my face for an hour, then they hit me with a blue laser. This treatment is called Photodynamic Therapy. It removes the current acne I have, and does really good improvement on my skin texture, but alas, it is not a permanent solution either....

I've come up with a game plan though. Our persistent acne HAS to be genetic. Need to

1.) Ask parents and research family for acne history. When did they lose it?

2.) Keep the acne in check until that age by doing certain things - doxycycline to help from getting super big zits. Topical creams to get rid of shallow acne. I've started using Benzamycin cream - works pretty well. The 5%BP neutralizes bacteria, while the 3% eurethramycin (sp?) helps to relieve inflammation.

I've also noticed this:

After course 1 and 2 with accutane, acne responds FAST to course 3. It all goes away within a few weeks because it knows not to show up anymore when accutane is around. With proper gauging, I think you could do a 3rd course of accutane, but instead of a 6 month run, you spread that dosage to a 1.5 to 2 year run by only using it when you have a breakout period. In between, you do topical regimens.

I don;t feel like taking accutane though, so I may just do 4 Photodynamic Therapies over the course of a year. Insurance does NOT cover lasers though, so this may be an expensive proposition.