Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*so I started this as a blog...but I guess "accutane logs" is a more appropriate place to put it. I have just copied what I wrote so far and will add on from here...*

Well. Here it goes. I never thought I would make a blog...let alone a blog that described my skin and my experience on accutane. That being said, I never thought I would be ON accutane!

Anyway, to give you a little background on myself I am a 23 year old female who has had problems with acne on and off again since around age 13. I have tried tetracycline, doxycycline, minocycline, keflex, clindamycin, differin, tazorac, retin-a, bp, etc. etc. etc....plus all the over the counter products imaginable. I have a lot of allergies (sulfa in particular) so I was limited in some of the medications I could try. In the past 6 months or so my skin has gotten much worse than normal...finally, my derm suggested that I try accutane, since nothing else had seemed to work. I was in the process of moving and after lots of tears, stressing, reading (a lot done on this site haha), switching to a derm that was closer to where I am now...I decided to take the accutane plunge. I have had my initial blood/pregancy tests so I am now in my "waiting period" and have an appointment next Tuesday to hopefully begin accutane. I have gone to Target and stocked up on what seems to be the "essentials" while on accutane... carmex, aquaphor, vaseline, eye drops etc. I am kind of a product junky so to be completely honest I was pretty excited to explore the health and beauty section and buy buy buy haha.

So yeah, I don't really have much to say. I haven't started accutane yet... I am nervous about the next 5 or so months. I am starting my first "real" job at the end of this month. I just really hope that a potentially crappy 5 months will be worth it in the long run...

Starting accutane...tomorrow?

Well. So yesterday I had my derm appointment and got another blood test and the okay to start accutane. Although my derm had to postdate my perscription for tomorrow because my blood work hadn't come back blah blah. Anyway, as long as everything looks fine she is going to put me in the computer as good to go tomorrow...then I go on and do my first set of ipledge questions...then go to the pharmacy to have my script filled. However, I already called ahead and they don't have the dosage that I have been prescribed in stock (20 mg twice daily) so they said I have to bring in the perscrption and they can order it. What a process... Anyway, I thought'd I'd update since I haven't written in a while... although I don't really have anything to report...

Here's to a quick five months!!!!! I hope...

Starting accutane... tomorrow? FOR REAL THIS TIME

Getting accutane is such a process!! I answered my ipledge questions this morning then went to the pharmacy to get my perscription filled. I had called my insurance company yesterday to find out if they cover accutane (mainly because I am a worrier and slightly ocd hahah)...which

of course they dont...but they do cover the generic called amnesteem. I have been reading logs etc on this site for about a month now and I haven't seen anyone taking "amnesteem". Anyway, so when I got to the pharmacy I found out that they don't ever even carry amnesteem...but they do carry sotret (which I have seen a lot of people take). So I asked them to check if my insurance covered that...and as she was checking...their computers went out...so I had to call my insurance again and see if they cover sotret...which THEY DOOOOO YAY... Anyway, of course cvs didn't have my dosage in stock (why don't pharmacies keep accutane on hand?? I feel like this happens to a lot of people), which I figured. ANYWAY, not that anyone cares about these unimportant details but I guess they ordered it today and I can go pick up my accutane (well, sotret) tomorrow!!! Sorry for my bitching. All done now. I should do something productive with myself besides complain to acne.org....

ps the pharmacy KEPT my ipldge card. is that normal? do they give it back when you get your perscription????

Day 1

So I FINALLY got my accutane (sotret) perscription this morning!! I am on 20 mg twice a day so I took my first pill right after I got home from the pharmacy. I must say I half expected like my head to explode or something after I took it...I'm still a little paranoid/nervous. I am excited to have started however

Nothing to report so far... This afternoon I was pretty thirsty, but that could be due to the fact that it is like 95 and humid out today. My eyes feel kind of dry...I should probably take out my contacts. This is probably all in my head though, I can't imagine that 20 mg really would make any difference yet!

Going to take my second pill of the day tonight at dinner...

Go accutane.

Day 2

So second day on accutane... nothing much to report. I have been a bit tired, but I am not sure if that is really something that accutane is causing. No dryness or anything yet. My lips feel really smooth/soft...but that could be because I have been putting aquaphor on them alreayd (even though they haven't gotten dry yet! ) I have only taken a total of 80 mg so far so that is probably why I haven't had any change really.

My face is basically the same as usual... I have a couple painful friends along my jawline...and one under my earlobe. Nothing better or worse than usual.

On a different note, i have gotten FAT. I know this isn't accutane related but this is what has been really bothering me lately. Okay so I don't know if it is because I haven't been eating well this summer or because I started birth control or what. But seriously....I have gained like 15 pounds. Blah.. Maybe I will get the "loss of appetite" accutane side effect...ha I can only hope!!! But seriously, I really like to run, but I have developed planter fasciitis (or so I think) so I have been trying to be good and rest... but blah.

That's all for tonight folks. Not that anyone reads this anyway... ohhh wellll....

Day 3

Third day on accutane...again nothing really to report. Just took my 5th 20 mg pill (I'm on 20 mg twice a day...basically 40 mg/day). Woke up with morning without any dryness/peeling. I did have some VERY weird dreams last night, but I doubt that was accutane related.

That's all for now. Sorry to be so boring!

I've been taking amnesteem for almost a month now, and I'm sure plenty other people do too. I just refer to it as "accutane" because...it is exactly the same. Anyone that tells you it doesn't work as well or generics are different is wrong....they are identical. Good luck..time flies and it'll be over before you know it.

I've been taking amnesteem for almost a month now, and I'm sure plenty other people do too. I just refer to it as "accutane" because...it is exactly the same. Anyone that tells you it doesn't work as well or generics are different is wrong....they are identical. Good luck..time flies and it'll be over before you know it.

Yeah, I'm on sotret... and I am just calling it accutane too :)

Thanks for the good luck wishes, good luck to you too!!!!

Hey ya,

Good luck on your journey. Can be tough at times but not so bad on other days. You'll get through it. Clear skin is such a boost and a cool reward!

I'm at the end of month four and doing great. I love Accutane. I'm 39 female and on low dose at 20mg day. I have very sensitive and thinner skin, so my Derm. is cautious about keeping my dose a little lower than normal. My acne was mild - mainly my chin. Here is some info. on what you may expect the next few weeks/months.

Month one - oily the first week/weeks then dryness starts kicking in. Lips and eyes may tingle and burn as they are starting to get drier. Lube up - re-wetting drops for eys and Aquaphor (or Carmex, Burt's Bees, etc.) for the lips . Face gets drier - use a good moisteriser that is non-acnegenic but also soothing. Acne may get worse as sebum is being pushed out. I didn't have an IB, just a few more pimples, kinda typical for me. Nothing major. I have Kinerase Cream and also MD Forte hydrating cream. They have antioxidants in them so they soothe dryness/redness/irritation. Eucerin Redness relief I heard is good too. Gentle cleansers. No BP, AHA/BHA, or retinoids. You may notice your pores a little clogged (blackheads) this will resolve and clear in month two.

Month two/three/four - Blackheads/pores start clearing out and skin starts to get a bit smoother. You will feel a difference. Depending on your acne, mild/moderate/severe, you may be starting to clear in some or most areas or you may still purging and getting more acne out. You may be more tired/achey/moody. Know Accutane kicks my butt! I walk and go to the gym to get some energy. Eat good. I've had very few acne in month two - pretty clear since then. Everyone is different though - stay positive. In August (month four for me) my eyes and eye lids are more drier and itchy. Got a few styes in each eye - bought stye ointment which cleared them up. Lubing the eyelids with a light eye cream or stye stuff. My face needs the MD Forte cream at night - a little more moisture. My lips are crackly/peely - keep them lubed with Aquaphor/gloss.

Congrats again on starting Tane. Holler if ya have questions.

Yvette

i used to think i needed tane... maybe i still do... idk, but my skin has been getting better after i stopped using all those chemicals and just use bp twice a day. nothing else. can't do much about the scars though... :( o, and i eat healthy and take vits. good luck with the tane!

Hey ya,

Good luck on your journey. Can be tough at times but not so bad on other days. You'll get through it. Clear skin is such a boost and a cool reward!

I'm at the end of month four and doing great. I love Accutane. I'm 39 female and on low dose at 20mg day. I have very sensitive and thinner skin, so my Derm. is cautious about keeping my dose a little lower than normal. My acne was mild - mainly my chin. Here is some info. on what you may expect the next few weeks/months.

Month one - oily the first week/weeks then dryness starts kicking in. Lips and eyes may tingle and burn as they are starting to get drier. Lube up - re-wetting drops for eys and Aquaphor (or Carmex, Burt's Bees, etc.) for the lips . Face gets drier - use a good moisteriser that is non-acnegenic but also soothing. Acne may get worse as sebum is being pushed out. I didn't have an IB, just a few more pimples, kinda typical for me. Nothing major. I have Kinerase Cream and also MD Forte hydrating cream. They have antioxidants in them so they soothe dryness/redness/irritation. Eucerin Redness relief I heard is good too. Gentle cleansers. No BP, AHA/BHA, or retinoids. You may notice your pores a little clogged (blackheads) this will resolve and clear in month two.

Month two/three/four - Blackheads/pores start clearing out and skin starts to get a bit smoother. You will feel a difference. Depending on your acne, mild/moderate/severe, you may be starting to clear in some or most areas or you may still purging and getting more acne out. You may be more tired/achey/moody. Know Accutane kicks my butt! I walk and go to the gym to get some energy. Eat good. I've had very few acne in month two - pretty clear since then. Everyone is different though - stay positive. In August (month four for me) my eyes and eye lids are more drier and itchy. Got a few styes in each eye - bought stye ointment which cleared them up. Lubing the eyelids with a light eye cream or stye stuff. My face needs the MD Forte cream at night - a little more moisture. My lips are crackly/peely - keep them lubed with Aquaphor/gloss.

Congrats again on starting Tane. Holler if ya have questions.

Yvette

Yvette, Thank you SOOO much for your reply to my log. I really appreciate you telling me about your experiences and all the advice you gave. I still haven't noticed much change if any... Good luck with the rest of your course!

i used to think i needed tane... maybe i still do... idk, but my skin has been getting better after i stopped using all those chemicals and just use bp twice a day. nothing else. can't do much about the scars though... :( o, and i eat healthy and take vits. good luck with the tane!

Day 6/7/8

Still no major changes. I did get a HUGE whitehead on my chin which I of course picked at and popped several times...BAD BAD BAD. Now its really huge, hard and scabbed over...and there is another little white head right next to it. NO PICKING ON ACCUTANE. I know, I know, I've read everyone elses blog too that says that exact same thing...but seriously, I am REALLY going to try not to. Such a bad habit.

My lips have been kinda dry the past couple days...and sort of cracked on one side of my mouth. They aren't peeling or chapped anything but they do have a weird dry feeling to them. I really haven't had that much time to be sure to drink a ton of water during the day...I need to work on that. And on slathering on the aquaphor. Why don't they make aquaphor in the lip version?? I find that extremely annoying. :boohoo:

Have a great weekend everyone!!

Day...16? 17? I think??

Good lord, sorry guys, I haven't had a chance to update! Life has been crazy. I started my first real job which has been WICKED stressful (I'm an elementary special ed teacher) and I moved to my first post college/grad school apartment last weekend. Plus, the brakes on my car went, and my computer broke...and it took me FOREVER to get a new one (I hate you dell). And now there is somethign else wrong wtih my car so it is BACK at the repair place...ugh.

Anyway, to avoid much bitching/complaining I will get straight to the point of this lovely log...how accutane is going. To be completely honest, I have been so busy and stressed out that I haven't even noticed that I am on accutane that much. I have had dry lips...and have been breaking out quite a bit. But slathering on the aquaphor and concealer has made it pretty manageable. I have had pretty dry hair...which I haven't minded because my hair is usually very oily. I have been a bit more tired than normal...but that could be because I have been so busy. I have also been CRAZY emotional, but I think that could also be situational...or maybe a combination of all the changes in my life right now and the accutane...who knows. All and all it hasn't been too bad.

I have a derm appointment a week from this Thursday...I am not sure if I will be increasing my dosage or what. Oh, and, I have been drinking a bit, which I KNOW is bad...don't lecture me. I haven't drank THAT much... Since on accutane I have had a total of 5 drinks. A glass of wine and a beer the first night I moved, a corona one night last week (it was SO HOT...come on, come on), and two beers last night (give me a break, it was saturday night and my friends were visiting!!). I hope that isn't killing my liver too much. I guess we shall see what my blood test looks like... My derm said that it was fine to drink an occassional drink or two here and there...so I think I should be fine.

Anyway, that's all to report. I will try to update more often now that I have a working computer...and a stolen very weak wireless signal...ha

hey Liz. just dropping by :P ...

i'm on day 6 today.. 10 days slower than u .. gd luck to u and me

anyway.. i think as u get more and more into tane.. i think the less u should drink.. since by mth 4 or 5.. the amt of pressure ur liver experiences from tane would be rather high by then.. just my pt of view.. hehe..

hey Liz. just dropping by :P ...

i'm on day 6 today.. 10 days slower than u .. gd luck to u and me

anyway.. i think as u get more and more into tane.. i think the less u should drink.. since by mth 4 or 5.. the amt of pressure ur liver experiences from tane would be rather high by then.. just my pt of view.. hehe..

Day 23? I really should count

So time is FLYING. I can't believe that I have a derm appointment next week to get my second months supply of accutane (if all goes well of course with my blood tests etc). I have been so busy that being on accutane hasn't really been an issue, as I wrote in my last post...

So far the only changes I have noticed are dry/kinda sore lips (which are totally manageable with aquaphor) and kinda dry skin (on my face). I am doubling up on teh moisturizers, so it's pretty managable...kinda peely yesterday though. The BEST change I have noticed is that my skin is no longer a complete oil slick! YAY! AND, my hair isn't oily anymore either. I normally have to wash my hair every day...and by the end of the day its pretty gross. Now, even if I don't wash it every day it's totally fine. I have been breaking out quite a bit...but my skin looks okay now. It's hard to say...I feel like pimples are springing up quite often, but they go away quickly. They def scab a lot more easily now. And the severity of my red marks seem to change daily...from not too bad to REALLY bad. I have been CRAZY emotional lately...but I think that is attributed to other things.

Anyway...that is about all I have to report. Yay for accutane! :dance:

Day 28ish

I can't believe it's almost been a month! Crazy. I had a derm appointment today. All my labs look fine, which I am happy about. I have been bumped up from 40 mg a day (20 mg twice a day) to 60 mg (20 mg 3 times a day...or 40 mg in the morning and 20 in the evening...or 20 mg in the morning and 40 in the evening...she said it didn't matter how i spread it out over the day). I guess that is the amount that I will be on for the next 5 months? I'm not sure how much I really weigh right now, but i told her 125 pounds...I tend to fluxuate. Anyway, is 40 mg the first month, then 60 mg the next 4 months the correct amount that i need to take? I'm annoyed because she had to post date my perscription for monday according to the ipledge regulations, so i won't be able to take the meds on Sunday...I run out on Saturday...and HOPEFULLY the pharmacy will actually have the meds this time and not have to order it. She'll put my in the computer on Monday, so then I can answer the lame quesitons, and then go and get it filled. SUCH A PROCESS. Oh well, I know it's not THAT big a deal missing a few days because the accutane is still in your system and all...but it's just frustrating.

No real side affects to report...just kinda dry skill and dry lips...managable with lots of moisturizer and aquaphor.

Day 32

Went to get my new perscription today (60 mg)...they only gave me one pill packet because i guess they are out...have to pick up the rest tomorrow.

no new side effects to report. dry lips, skin kinda dry.

feeling really depressed. now that my skin is clearing i am noticing how incredibly SCARRED my skin is. i'm not even talking about the red marks, but actual scars. both of my lower cheeks and all around my mouth are all rippled which is where my acne has been concentrated over the past several years. blah. i am really feeling low. i am trying to be positive and be happy that my active acne is starting to go away...but ughh the scars are so bad. blahhhhhhhhhhh. :(

Day 37

Well month two is well under way... skin is doing okay. I have two kind of active zits around my mouth, but thats about it...except for the redmarks and stupid ripply scars UGH. My arms have actually been SUPER itchy the past couple days...not sure what that is all about. Lips are really dry and pretty peely. Slathering on the aquaphor constantly.

My hair the past couple weeks has been SO DRY...definitely didn't need to wash it every day. Now, it seems to be back to being pretty oily..combined with dandruff...not sure what is going on there. I dont know if its because I got bumped up to 60 mg or what...one would think that it would get even DRYER? instead of oilier? beats me.

Anyway, everything is going pretty...pumped that my skin seems to be getting clearer..still really bumming about my ripples. UGH. So frustrating. :boohoo:

Day 41

Skin WAS doing okay, i really thought the breakouts could have been over!! but...I have been breaking out like crazy the past two days. Plus my lips have been KILLING me and my face is really dry. It's a really lovely combination...completely dry skin covered with zits. Attempting to cover the zits really make it worse becasue foundation/concealer/powder make the dryness look worse and doesn't do too much for the gross pimples. Plus my skins is completely ripply. My other skin, on my arms and shoulders especially, have been super itchy lately too. I'm not sure what that is all about.

blahhhh

It's my birthday tomorrow. I turn 24. Having acne at 24 SUCKS. I know I know, woe is me...people get acne as adults all the time...but it doesn't make it any easier :(

Day 41

Skin WAS doing okay, i really thought the breakouts could have been over!! but...I have been breaking out like crazy the past two days. Plus my lips have been KILLING me and my face is really dry. It's a really lovely combination...completely dry skin covered with zits. Attempting to cover the zits really make it worse becasue foundation/concealer/powder make the dryness look worse and doesn't do too much for the gross pimples. Plus my skins is completely ripply. My other skin, on my arms and shoulders especially, have been super itchy lately too. I'm not sure what that is all about.

blahhhh

It's my birthday tomorrow. I turn 24. Having acne at 24 SUCKS. I know I know, woe is me...people get acne as adults all the time...but it doesn't make it any easier :(

hang in there. i'm on day 63 and just broke out like crazy after being "clear" (so to speak) for 2 weeks. Now it's worse then ever. Just remember it has to get worse before it gets better. My back is almost completely lcear, so i have faith my face will be soon. it'll be over before you know it...seems like just yesterday i started

day 45

still breaking out pretty badly. i got my period today (sorry if that's TMI!) so i think that could have been part of the cause of my recent breakouts. arms are still kind of itchy. face isn't too dry. lips still really dry. eyes are okay. that's about all i have to report.

day 46

actives are healing...no new ones this morning, yaaaaaaaay. skin isn't really dry, but when i put makeup on this afternoon it was pretty peely. wore my glasses all day today to give my eyes a break from contacts, although they haven't been too dry or anything like that so far. i can't believe i am already half way through my second month! time really is flying. i am still really bummed about all my scars. i emailed my derm (she's a good friend of my sister...she's awesome) to ask about all the scarring i have been noticing. she said that they don't consider a scar a scar until it has been around for 6 months or more. i'm not sure how long these ripples have been around... she said that i shouldn't freak out yet, my skin could heal some and calm down while on accutane. and if it doesn't...they have fraxel...which she said if i were to consider laser, i should start saving now! how depressing. a YEAR after i finish stupid accutane i could have laser...at a bazillion dollars a session...i actually don't know how much it is...but i'm sure it's a lot! blahhhhhh. PLUS, of course, the exboyfriend, who i haven't seen in about 6 months, wants to come down next weekend (we broke up because i moved an hour away, and he didn't want to do the distance thing) and take me out. not sure if this means he wants to rekindle what we had or what...but it's HUGE because the whole reason we broke up was because he didn't want to have to come down to boston to see me. so this would be fine EXCEPT, my skin, is HORRIBLE. my skin started to get really bad right before we broke up. blahhhhhhhhh. he's going to be like, "what happened to you???" ACK. i need to go get some new makeup or SOMETHING. slathering on the foundation/concealer/powder doesn't really do anything for the friggin RIPPLES. ughhhh. i feel so ugly. i know you can all relate, but it really REALLY sucks how acne can absolutely destroy ones self confidence.

sorry for the excessive drama on this post. i don't really think that anyone reads this log...but if anyone does...any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. :redface:

Hey there bosoxgirl,

Just keep reminding yourself why you're going through this. You want clear skin, you want your life back and you deserve to have both. We're all going through this with you although a bit indirectly, but you're not alone.

A few months of this BS will be worth it.

heyyyy jason,

thanks for the nice words of encouragement! i see you are on accutane as well - good luck to you. it sure is a roller coaster, but as you said, it will be worth it in the end!

Hey there bosoxgirl,

Just keep reminding yourself why you're going through this. You want clear skin, you want your life back and you deserve to have both. We're all going through this with you although a bit indirectly, but you're not alone.

A few months of this BS will be worth it.

day 53

nothing too exciting to report. one really REALLY gross whitehead (which i want to pop but i am afraid to) on my jawline and two that are healing. i got a pimple on the top of my shoulder and in the middle of my forearm this week which was very strong. other than that, just tons of redmarks and ripples on my face... yuck.

skin on my face is pretty dry, especially around my mouth and nose. went back to college for homecoming this weekend...and i drank - not too much, but probably more than i should...bad bad bad...i am going for my blood test on wednesday...hopefully my tests will be ok!!

good luck hehe ill start accutane soon also im a lil bit worried about the side effects and stuff but w/e im tired of acne my life just sux with acne ><

good luck hehe ill start accutane soon also im a lil bit worried about the side effects and stuff but w/e im tired of acne my life just sux with acne ><