Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Meg H.

A few questions...

I just started doing the Regimen, using Neutrogena products, a few days ago and I just had a few quick questions & concerns. A little background: I'm 18 and I would say that I have mild acne. I don't really have major breakouts, but I feel like I'm constantly battling a pimple or two. Over the past year or so I've developed a lot of little under the skin bumps that I now think are from the products I used to use.

Okay, so here are my questions:

- Even though it says to wait 5-15 minutes after cleansing to apply the BP I can't stand to wait more than two or three minutes before using some kind of toner or moisturizer because my skin gets incredibly dry and tight. I think this is because of the products I used up until this week. Does it make sense to switch up the order of things and use toner or moisturizer because my skin is so dry right now? I try not to apply much moisturizer before the BP and I really try to rub it in very lightly. I'm afraid that if I don't, and apply the BP, that my skin will get really, intensely dry and just cause more irritation/oil production. I've seen improvement in the dryness of my skin in just a few days using the Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser, so I'm hoping that once it gets less dry I can use the BP right away.

- It says not to use toner, but the cleanser doesn't seem to get rid of all of my makeup. A little still comes off when I use toner. So should I keep using toners in the evening, or just forget about it? I wear mineral makeup, so it's supposed to be pretty safe for your skin, but, you know, it's just ingrained in my mind to never sleep w/ makeup on.

- I find that when I apply the BP the Regimen way that it doesn't really seem to absorb into my skin. It feels like I'm wearing a mask until I use more moisturizer. Is this normal? It might just be the Neutrogena stuff vs. the acne.org BP gel.

Currently I'm using:

- Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser

- Neutrogena Alcohol-Free Toner [at night if I wore makeup]

- Neutrogena On-the-Spot BP 2.5%

- Olay Complete Moisturizer w/ SPF 15 [which I need because I'm very fair]

- Twice a week I mix lemon juice & extra virgin olive oil, and when I use this I use Neutrogena cleansing face cloths in place of cleanser to help get all the oil off

Other than those things I think all the questions I've had have been answered really clearly in the FAQs and such. I'm really looking forward to continuing w/ the Regimen and I hope it works out well for me! I'm really glad I found this site!

Thanks--

Hi,

It's always best to start out on the right foot, so we discourage making changes and adding in other products when you are just starting out.

If your current cleanser doesn't clean your skin well enough, get a different one. A toner is unnecessary if you are using a good cleanser. And Dan discourages using toners with the Regimen. If you need cleanser recommendations, let us know. Purpose bar and Purpose Gentle Cleanser clean well and do not leave behind any residue, ime.

You should wait after washing/rinsing the 5-15 mins. because your skin needs to be fully dry before applying the benzoyl peroxide. Your skin may feel dry and tight during this moment, but when you are done using all your products, it should feel more "normal".

You also mentioned that it feels like you have a mask on, that is pretty normal with Neutrogena on-the-spot since it is a thick cream and when it dries it does feel a bit masklike, but if you use enough moisturizer that tight mask feeling should subside and your skin should feel more normal. Also, if you find the feeling just unbearable, switching to a gel-based benzoyl peroxide like Dan's can really help with that.

I hope this helps and good luck!