Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
m00sie

Epilators......

If so which brand and model do you use?

I just bought a braun one today, silk xelle i think....was quite expensive but im hoping the higher price means it will less painful than the first one i bought *shudders at the thought of using that again*.

Came with a 60 day money back guarantee so i figure i havent got anything to lose :) now im just waiting for it to charge....

How do epilators work??

Rotating wire bits or something or other (depending on make/model, etc) rip the hair out by the root. Hurts like mad. Or it did when I used an Epilady. T

the link given, the one I have, uses little tweezers to pull the hair out from the root. It doesn't hurt much at all for me. That model comes with an adapter piece that messages the area while it is pulling and it helps relieve the pain. Then when you are ready you can change it to the advanced clip(which I use now). It saves me money in waxing and using nair. I feel it is an investment. Well worth it for me. I love my epilator.

My hair grows quickly I epilate once a week.

I used my new one last night on my bikini line, wasnt that painful at all. A little more painful than waxing because i find waxing pain to be short and sharp whereas epilating tends to prolong the pain lol definitely bearable though :) im thinking my legs will be less sensitive so im just waiting for the hairs to grow abit longer.

If you are going to invest i recommend you get a deluxe model with all the bells and whistles, its worth it pain wise :D

Moosie - when the hair grows back in at the bikini - see if it comes in okay for you. The reason I ask, I have to be really careful what I use at the bikini zone or else sometimes I get an ingrown hair - which is like a lumpy pimple when the hair grows back. Sounds strange to ask you this - but would you let us know in a few weeks if it grows in okay? I would switch to that too if it works for you long term. I use sally hansen wax strips, but yikes, I am always left with sticky skin! I can bear the pain. I tried threading (where you use a piece of thread wound tight to remove hair) and it seemed fine on my face where hair is super fine like peach fuzz ... but at my bikini the coarse hair seemed to break off rather than pull out - hence the ingrown hairs 2 -3 weeks later :(

Let us know? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

I used my new one last night on my bikini line, wasnt that painful at all. A little more painful than waxing because i find waxing pain to be short and sharp whereas epilating tends to prolong the pain lol definitely bearable though :) im thinking my legs will be less sensitive so im just waiting for the hairs to grow abit longer.

If you are going to invest i recommend you get a deluxe model with all the bells and whistles, its worth it pain wise :D

No worries LM 06 :) i used to get brazilian waxes and unfortunately have suffered from ingrown hairs (dang they look ugly!). I use "ingrow grow" which clears them up in a couple of days.

Surprisingly when i waxed i didnt usually get them on my bikini line, more at the top of my pubic region. But seeing as ive just started accutane i dont want to risk waxing.

They reckon daily exfoliation of that area minimises the chance of getting ingrown hairs.

I will definitely keep ya posted though :) going to tackle my underarms tonight...will let you know how that goes as well lol.

just bought and used emjoir tweeze from CVS and i recommend it. omg armpits hurt liek fuck tho.. just brace yourself be4 and dont let the thing touch water!!

I got a tip from my sister in law's and they are always either waxing or epilating their hair....everywhere. They've never shaved before so they are pretty experienced. She said next time you try to use the epilator on your underarms you have to just keep it on their and let it pull out the hairs, no wussing out and doing a bit here and there and eventually your skin will me numb to the pain :injured:

I have to admit - I am super interested in getting one too. I just want to wait to hear if it is still good when the first hair grows back in. Then I'm sold. lol

I have admitted before when there was a threading discussion that I've actually resorted to a tweezers in ... ermm ... ultra private locations because waxing and shaving there are impossible for me. (shaving will have me in pain for days when the hair starts coming back). While tweezing is incrediblllllyyy sloooooowww it does work. So can an epilator be used in ultra private zones? (trying to keep this g rated!)

PS: Moosie thanks for the tip on ingrown grow - i'm going to go lookup the ingredients and see if I could use that!

LOL LM 06, i was thinking the same thing regarding my private bits! i tried to do my underarms last night but i was tired and grumpy so couldnt handle much pain - think ill try again tonight.....ill give the top part of my nether regions a go as well and let you know if the pain is bearable lol.

http://www.pharmacyonline.com.au/skin-doct...0ml-p-1549.html

Thats the link for the ingrow go stuff, but there are alot of brands out there that are just as good :)

Ok so tried the epilator out on my bits lol. My epilator came with two attachments, the "starter" attachment and the "heavy duty/normal" attachment. Difference between the two is the normal attachment has more metal tweezer thingees therefore removes more hair at a time.

I started with the starter attachment and it was bearable, more painful than waxing but definitely bearable....so i thought id try the normal attachment...and yeah that didnt go so well lol waaaaay too painful. So i switched back to the starter attachment. Took about 1.5inches off the top (if you get what i mean) and it took about 2 minutes.

I would recommend taking pain relief before hand if you wanted to do as far as you could reach (as much hair as possible) in one go. But it would definitely work if you just wanted to keep it trimmed :)

I havent tried my leg hair yet, so that will be the deciding point because im so sick of shaving my legs lol.

I went on this little adventure not too long ago that might interest some folks here.

I've been using the epilator for a few weeks now and I love saving time in the shower by not shaving. I haven't worked up the courage to do my underarms yet, and I probably won't for a long time it ever, but I use it on my arms, legs, and bikini area.

I don't even feel it on my bikini area anymore; just some tugging like on my eyebrows. Which amazes me because that's typical one of the most sensitive areas.

The place that hurt the most was, surprisingly, my leg below my knee. I had to stop and take many breathers before continuing. It was fairly swollen my first time around (best to do it on a weekend at night so you can give your legs time to heal) and red, and it was a bit sore the day after, but I drenched it in 100% Aloe Vera and Burt's Bees Body Oil which was extremely soothing. Especially that Aloe Vera.

Be aware, it's gonna hurt unless you already do a lot of waxing, and it will very likely turn red and sting for a fair bit after epilation. My advice would be to epilate a small patch like near your ankle and see how your skin reacts and how long it takes for it to go back to normal. For me, my skin for suuuuuper red, but took about an hour for the redness to die down completely.

I took a picture because I'm a total dork lol. This was taken after the very first epilation of my legs.

Clicku

My crappy tablet handwriting says (left) "1 hour ago." (right) "Right after epilation. Ow :s."

PAIN IS BEAUTY, LADIES.

Faydra - you should see what I look like after I wax when I haven't done it in a long time. Deeply red bumps and sore. It can take a full day or maybe two if it is really bad for it to go away. I suppose it will be the same with the epilator for me - but like you say, if I am consistent with doing it it isn't any big deal for the follow up waxings. I think because the hair grows in so much finer with a smaller root to pull through? Dunno - but I can see what you mean in your points.

Moosie - thank you for being a guinea pig for all of us!! You are a brave one. I'm going to save up my pennies and get one. Might take me some time - I'm waiting for some projects to be started so I get a downpayment (self employed) and then I'm going to go for it.

Oh - I'll take a look at that link about doing delicate parts - (who suggested that? I'm too far down the messages to see it from here - but I'll find it.)

The things we do to look good! I think our significant others should pay us for the pain we endure to be smooth!!! lol

All this epilator talk made me had a dream that I used one last night.. I dreamt that I tried it on my bikini line and started screaming my head off in pain (though I couldn't actually feel anything) :wacko::lol:....

Just wondering, can I buy an epilator in stores? And how much do they approximately cost... any good ones that are cheap? Thanks! :D I kinda want to get the Braun one.....

Just wondering, can I buy an epilator in stores? And how much do they approximately cost... any good ones that are cheap? Thanks! :D I kinda want to get the Braun one.....