Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pixelcat

Healing After CO2, Help please!!

Hi, I'm hoping some people who have had CO2 resufacing can help me out. I had it done about three weeks ago. I have some areas, on my cheeks and forehead, where the doctor went much deeper. These areas are still much redder and they don't seem completely healed.

What worries me, is that on my cheeks, I have lines from where he went over the skin with the laser, and they are slightly indented compared to the rest of my cheek. In fact, the whole area where he went deeper with the laser is slightly indented. I assume it's because in these areas, the skin is still much thinner, and that's also the reason for the lines. He says that I still have some swelling. Did anyone else experience this while you were healing? Could you see on your skin where the doctor had gone over it with the laser in some spots? And were there indented areas where the skin was thinner while you healed? My skin is pretty uneven right now, and I'm REALLY hoping it's because I'm still healing.

Thanks for any help/info/advice... I'm so scared that this is going to be permanent. :(

I've read a few CO2 horror stories since coming to this site and seeing indentation where the surgeon went the deepest seems to be one of the things that commonly comes up, also hypopigmentation and fat loss in the face come up as well.

I hope for your sake its not permanent but shouldn't this be the time when your scars look the best in the short term due to the swelling?

I'm sure you went into this knowing you had a high chance of it working well for your acne scars but also there are permanent complications can occur.

Perhaps you should see another doctor for a second opinion, as its unlikely the one who performed the C02 will admit to making a mistake.

I've read a few CO2 horror stories since coming to this site and seeing indentation where the surgeon went the deepest seems to be one of the things that commonly comes up, also hypopigmentation and fat loss in the face come up as well.

I hope for your sake its not permanent but shouldn't this be the time when your scars look the best in the short term due to the swelling?

I'm sure you went into this knowing you had a high chance of it working well for your acne scars but also there are permanent complications can occur.

Perhaps you should see another doctor for a second opinion, as its unlikely the one who performed the C02 will admit to making a mistake.

my doc went deep on some areas when i did co2. my face stopped being red maybe 2-4 weeks later. but the deep spots were red for more than a month.

i dont know if i had lines or not. i was too depressed to see that my scars were still there. poor little bug...

I had the erbium laser performed on a scar on my nose in December. The doctor must have went really deep, because my skin was raw for exactly 3 weeks, not 1 week like he said. The scar I went in for looks better, but now the area is indented.

It's been getting better and better as the months go by. I guess my skin is just filling itself in and remodeling itself. I just went to a different doctor who uses a skin tightening laser. I've only had 1 treatment, and I noticed a tremondous improvement. This is instant, and there is no downtime. It plumped my skin up and made it firm and tight. I'm suprised that such a treatment exists and it's not talked about on these boards. I still have 3-4 more treatments. I would HIGHLY recommend this for you. Of course I would say for you to wait a few months before you have this done. You have to heal from that CO2 laser.

I really do believe that time and this skin tightening laser treatment will make my indentation practically go away. These lasers are serious business. For the past 6 months the spot where he did the laser was always peeling and looked shiny. It's slowly starting to look like my own natural skin.

P.S. this isn't fraxel or IPL. It's called laser skin tigtening. I'll post more on this after I have my next few treatments. I think this is going to help A LOT of people on here with their scars.

I had the erbium laser performed on a scar on my nose in December. The doctor must have went really deep, because my skin was raw for exactly 3 weeks, not 1 week like he said. The scar I went in for looks better, but now the area is indented.

It's been getting better and better as the months go by. I guess my skin is just filling itself in and remodeling itself. I just went to a different doctor who uses a skin tightening laser. I've only had 1 treatment, and I noticed a tremondous improvement. This is instant, and there is no downtime. It plumped my skin up and made it firm and tight. I'm suprised that such a treatment exists and it's not talked about on these boards. I still have 3-4 more treatments. I would HIGHLY recommend this for you. Of course I would say for you to wait a few months before you have this done. You have to heal from that CO2 laser.

I really do believe that time and this skin tightening laser treatment will make my indentation practically go away. These lasers are serious business. For the past 6 months the spot where he did the laser was always peeling and looked shiny. It's slowly starting to look like my own natural skin.

P.S. this isn't fraxel or IPL. It's called laser skin tigtening. I'll post more on this after I have my next few treatments. I think this is going to help A LOT of people on here with their scars.

I'm not joking. I've tried a lot, and I wish I would have just tried this to begin with. You will see instant firmness and plumpness.

Go to this website to read about it some more. I actual had a combination of laser facial rejuvenation and the laser skin tightening laser. This is not IPL or fraxel. I've had IPL before, and it didn't do anything.

Go to this website to read about. I HIGHLY recommend. It's not expensive at all, and it works.

http://www.docshop.com/education/dermatolo...kin-tightening/

Hi Pixelcat, hope you're healing more and more day by day.

I had co2 laser to my cheeks back in 2004 and know exactly what you're going through: where the surgeon had lasered my cheeks and under my eyes there were definite indented areas that were clearly visible to the eye and I panicked a whole lot about it at the time.

I'm going to be as honest with you as I can but hopefully at the same time reassuring: those indentations WILL improve with time but they may not disappear completely. Even if they do not, though, they will get to a stage where you can hardly notice them - unless, like us acne.org-boarders, you are scrutinising every inch of your face to distraction!

After surgery the worst areas for me were immediately under my eyes and on the left side of my face along the nasal labial fold. The right side wasn't so bad for some reason.

The under-eye area healed the quickest and I genuinely cannot see any indication of surgery there now, but I do, to this day, have a faint line on my left cheek where the surgeon lasered my face - it's like a boundary between the lasered skin and the non-lasered skin.

It's not so noticeable as to cause me distress any more (and if I can say that, I'm saying something as I have had problems with BDD) but believe me, it did initially bother me one hell of a lot, so if I can hand-on-heart say it's faded to an acceptable level now then trust me - it has.

I panicked so much in those early days, as despite my skin looking so much smoother there was such an obvious difference in skin thickness, particularly on that left side of my face, that I felt like a freak.

The bad news is that over time, once the swelling goes down, some scars will somehow reappear and that is really extremely hard to deal with. The good news is that the lasered lines will definitely fade over time, to the extent that no-one would be able to tell you'd had any kind of procedure unles you choose to point it out to them.

I'm still to this day very glad I had c02, even with the line issue, because it has evened out the pigmentation of my skin enough that I can go without make-up if I feel like it. It's also shallowed out my scars enough for me to feel the whole thing has been worth it - although I took a long, long time to heal completely, and the redness took a good year or so to properly fade.

It's not a perfect procedure, and yes, it does have a lot of down-time, and there may be residual marks, etc., but in the main I do feel it was worth it.

Please don't worry. I've been where you are and worried myself to distraction, but over time it will all improve. It really will.

I started using copper peptides around 3 months after my procedure and have continued using them to this day, and I have to say I think they have helped keep my skin in the best condition it could be.

Please don't worry and all the best.

Thank you for posting. It's nice to hear from someone who knows what I am going through. It's almost been a month now, and I am still raw and sore on both cheeks and my forehead. The lines have started to heal up a bit, and it seems like they are getting a little better. I still have a lot of healing to go, and I'm glad to hear from you that the lines will improve a lot more. This healing period is so hard to deal with. I knew it would be hard, but it's different actually experiencing it. I'm also so upset with my doctor. He said that by four weeks, I would only be pink, and that it would be easy to cover with makeup. There was no mention of these lines, or the lumps (I also had aggressive subcision), or the weeks of bright red raw peely skin, which is what I still have. I also have BDD issues, and I'm having a really hard time. You're spot on about the worrying - I think that's all I do now, along with constantly scrutinizing my face. The good news is that my scars are greatly improved. Some did reappear, but several shallow ones did not, and the ones that I still have are not as bad. Did copper peptides help at all with the redness? I want to start using something that will help me heal, get rid of the redness, and help even out the texture. What brand do you use? Thanks so much for your help. :)

Hi Pixelcat, hope you're healing more and more day by day.

I had co2 laser to my cheeks back in 2004 and know exactly what you're going through: where the surgeon had lasered my cheeks and under my eyes there were definite indented areas that were clearly visible to the eye and I panicked a whole lot about it at the time.

I'm going to be as honest with you as I can but hopefully at the same time reassuring: those indentations WILL improve with time but they may not disappear completely. Even if they do not, though, they will get to a stage where you can hardly notice them - unless, like us acne.org-boarders, you are scrutinising every inch of your face to distraction!

After surgery the worst areas for me were immediately under my eyes and on the left side of my face along the nasal labial fold. The right side wasn't so bad for some reason.

The under-eye area healed the quickest and I genuinely cannot see any indication of surgery there now, but I do, to this day, have a faint line on my left cheek where the surgeon lasered my face - it's like a boundary between the lasered skin and the non-lasered skin.

It's not so noticeable as to cause me distress any more (and if I can say that, I'm saying something as I have had problems with BDD) but believe me, it did initially bother me one hell of a lot, so if I can hand-on-heart say it's faded to an acceptable level now then trust me - it has.

I panicked so much in those early days, as despite my skin looking so much smoother there was such an obvious difference in skin thickness, particularly on that left side of my face, that I felt like a freak.

The bad news is that over time, once the swelling goes down, some scars will somehow reappear and that is really extremely hard to deal with. The good news is that the lasered lines will definitely fade over time, to the extent that no-one would be able to tell you'd had any kind of procedure unles you choose to point it out to them.

I'm still to this day very glad I had c02, even with the line issue, because it has evened out the pigmentation of my skin enough that I can go without make-up if I feel like it. It's also shallowed out my scars enough for me to feel the whole thing has been worth it - although I took a long, long time to heal completely, and the redness took a good year or so to properly fade.

It's not a perfect procedure, and yes, it does have a lot of down-time, and there may be residual marks, etc., but in the main I do feel it was worth it.

Please don't worry. I've been where you are and worried myself to distraction, but over time it will all improve. It really will.

I started using copper peptides around 3 months after my procedure and have continued using them to this day, and I have to say I think they have helped keep my skin in the best condition it could be.

Please don't worry and all the best.

Thank you for posting. It's nice to hear from someone who knows what I am going through. It's almost been a month now, and I am still raw and sore on both cheeks and my forehead. The lines have started to heal up a bit, and it seems like they are getting a little better. I still have a lot of healing to go, and I'm glad to hear from you that the lines will improve a lot more. This healing period is so hard to deal with. I knew it would be hard, but it's different actually experiencing it. I'm also so upset with my doctor. He said that by four weeks, I would only be pink, and that it would be easy to cover with makeup. There was no mention of these lines, or the lumps (I also had aggressive subcision), or the weeks of bright red raw peely skin, which is what I still have. I also have BDD issues, and I'm having a really hard time. You're spot on about the worrying - I think that's all I do now, along with constantly scrutinizing my face. The good news is that my scars are greatly improved. Some did reappear, but several shallow ones did not, and the ones that I still have are not as bad. Did copper peptides help at all with the redness? I want to start using something that will help me heal, get rid of the redness, and help even out the texture. What brand do you use? Thanks so much for your help. :)

Hi Pixelcat,

Happy New Year!!

I'm post Co2 (about 7 weeks now) & I also have those weird lines on the left hand side of my face. Have yours improved since you last posted? My derm was pretty good about explaining all the risks but didn't mention this at all. (My treatment was free on the NHS with a second Co2 to follow (Eeek :confused: )

My first check up with my derm isn't until mid February & I'm beginning to get a little panicky.

Many thanks

Hi Pixelcat,

Happy New Year!!

I'm post Co2 (about 7 weeks now) & I also have those weird lines on the left hand side of my face. Have yours improved since you last posted? My derm was pretty good about explaining all the risks but didn't mention this at all. (My treatment was free on the NHS with a second Co2 to follow (Eeek :confused: )

My first check up with my derm isn't until mid February & I'm beginning to get a little panicky.

Many thanks

Thanks for the quick reply, I feel loads better now :)

I'm sorry to hear about the redness, are you red or pink? I'm pink now but I turn red when I wash which is a pain as I have to leave it an hour or so before applying make-up.

I think I'm a slow healer too, it was a good 5 weeks before I could apply make-up.

My derm told me that it's possible to remain pink for up to 12 months, but also mentioned that the results are usually much better in those cases so fingers crossed for you (and me).

Thanks again, I hope you're happy with the results (redness aside)

x