Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bono

I think my time is up

I've read through a lot of the posts and it's obvious that I'm not the only one hurting here. I just turned 31 and have suffered from acne since I was 15, although it wasn't until I turned 23 that I couldn't control it anymore. I've done 2 courses of Accutane which cleared me up only to let me down within a couple months by bringing my acne back. Besides the Accutane I 've tried every single drug, albeit OTC, prescription, herbal, tv infomercials, lasers, microderm, etc. I recently tried Accutane again and it wasn't effective. Yes, now I've become resistant to the miracle drug. Because of the constant damage of topicals and accutane and all the rest of medications I have permanent red skin that is very unhealthy looking. And, of course, I still break out. I am also unable to shave on a regular basis because of the folliculitis that I started to develop while on accutane. I have scarring and painful skin. Acne along with rosacea has taken my life away. Other than a few months, I haven't felt good about myself in 8 years. I have graduate education that I don't use because I am unable to mentally commit myself to anything positive. I have seen psychiatrists and been put on those stupid mood altering drugs and they don't work. What's the use when you still wake up and see the same face that you hate day in and day out. I've alienated my family, friends and pretty much everyone that I've ever cared about because I can't live with myself. I recently went and saw another derm and he put me on doxycycline again and a drug called Finacea. Well, the Finacea is tearing my skin up. I told myself prior to going to this derm that I will give it one final shot. If nothing positive happens, then I would end the suffering for good. I think this is a sign for me to simply give up. I'm not like other people, where I can live my life even though I'm hurting. It does me no good. I don't even know why I'm writing this to be honest. Like I said, I know I'm not the only one suffering, but at the end of the day I am the only one who I see. I hope all of you are able to fix your condition.

Awwww I'm sorry you are going through that. I know it must be hard. Just don't give up, keep trying to work with doctors to find something that will work for you. I hope that you find something that will help you soon. :comfort:

i've had acne for 30 years, 25 of them severe cystic acne. 3 courses of accutane hasn't cured my acne. my life has been so bad that it hurts too much to articulate it. but despite that, i haven't given up hope. if i still have hope, then i know that you can too. have you tried dan's regimen? have you tried changing your diet or holistic remedies? if not, then there's still hope.

I know you are upset but I will be pissed if you give up . Keep your mindset positive and post here no matter what you are feeling we are here for you.

i've had acne for 30 years, 25 of them severe cystic acne. 3 courses of accutane hasn't cured my acne. my life has been so bad that it hurts too much to articulate it. but despite that, i haven't given up hope. if i still have hope, then i know that you can too. have you tried dan's regimen? have you tried changing your diet or holistic remedies? if not, then there's still hope.

Please do not take your life. Suicide isnt the answer and if you think about it, its very selfish. Youre not only hurting yourself but it affect the people around you, the people who love you and they will be deeply hurt if you kill yourself and they will probably also be angry. Please vent here and we will help you get through it. Please buy Aqua Glycolic cleanser, its amazing.

bono, I know I have no idea what you are going through, I have skin problems but not so bad... I would like to give you my thought, the thing that helps me more than anything in this world: go to Church, maybe you can't make yourself happy but why not dedicate your life to helping others? that is much better than dying.. give your life a different meaning

You clearly are a more patient and tougher person than I am. I'm not interested in going through 30+ years of pain and suffering. I don't enjoy life enough to go through that. To answer your question, holistic remedies are a joke and I eat healthy and drink lots of water. My diet doesn't seem to be the issue.

Bono, we all know what your feeling and going through. I wouldnt get up in the morning if I had the choice sometimes, and its all because of that 4 letter word, acne. I read a journal once from a psychiatrist that talked about acne being possibly the most severe mental hardship anyone could go through. It affects your mind, body and spirit. But you cant give up!!! We are ALL going through what you are and were still here!!! We all have those days, some more than others, and I can tell you that I have been in the same dark place you have for most of my acne career. I dont know what more to say but just hang in there! Talk to us, keep posting.

Bono, please read my post under Adult acne "Insulin Resistance." It is the only thing that has totally cured me, and it took years for me to figure it all out. There is an article in my post from the American Derm Assoc. Apparently, this may be one of the main causes of acne, at least what I have researched is pointing to this.

We all know what you're going through, and you shouldn't give up. It may just be the simplest thing, and then your acne will all be gone. There is hope.

if you find someone who can accept and look past your acne, you will at least keep your sanity.

friends don't really care how you look. enjoy their company. that's the only way you'll keep positive thoughts.

You don't mention any skin products you are using, just drugs you have tried.

I do not use prescriptive drugs to keep my acne under control, just skin products and a healthy diet.

I have considered Chinese medicine (natural remedies), but never gone. Maybe you could try it and report back to us all.

We would love to hear about your progress bono...

Well, I'm about your age, and I had acne for most of my life growing up. Until about 1 year ago, my acne has stopped because I realized that less is better. I stopped using all the crap that everyone suggested, and my skin took it's natural course. I now just use a simple cloth to wash. If you think acne is bad, take a look at the people who are fighting cancer or some other life threating diease. They have it much worse. You can't let something this small drag you down.

Like wanabeacnefree said, maybe chinese medicine would be beneficial. Western mediicne is evidence based, chinese medicine is experience based. i tried it for a while and it seemed to work, though it ended up too pricey for me

I definitely feel ur pain. I have had acne (moderate) for 20 years. I never had cystic acne but whiteheads that leave brown spots that take forever to go away. Those brown spots combined with new zits make a constant terror. Not too mention I have a scar from early childhood right on my forehead that had keloid and I also have very oily skin...additionally now I'm going bald, but that’s for another day! So as u can see I have multiple issues that have sucked the life out of me everyday, but "ACNE" is definitely the most annoying.

I have tried everything, from over the counter stuff to prescriptions; I have changed my diet completely: I have tried "natural" products; I take numerous supplements: I exercise regularly; I get plenty of fresh air and sunlight and all in all the pimples just keep coming. Yes, there are periods of time in which I can get it somewhat under control but then a huge breakout will take place over like a month period and thus the cycle continues. The majority of my friends have no blemishes whatsoever and of course when u try and explain your pain to them they always say how its not a big deal...RIGHT, but they don't have to wake up everyday and wonder what they will look like. Over the course of my life I have cancelled numerous dates, parties and vacations just because I was so self-conscious of the way I looked. Not to mention when I did venture out with a current break out and tried to just ignore it, someone would always mention the monsters on my face and make me feel like crap. Its so funny how people with no skin issues think that people with these troubles eat junk food all day and never wash their face. On the contrary, people with troubled skin more than likely eat more healthy and take care of their skin better than anyone else. I was very popular growing up and it made it oh so hard because being self conscious made me shy away and try to avoid people when I had my often break-outs and then people felt I was now being conceited or aloof, go figure!...a whole other dilemma! Anyway, I think its just plain crazy how there can't be a cure or at least a solid remedy (or even say 2-3 bonafide solutions for diff skin types) for acne when there seems to be so much progress in major life threatening diseases as Cancer and so forth. I know acne is not terminal or anywhere as serious as some of life's other challenges but it is so controlling and mentally detrimental.

I mean all I want is to look "normal"...I am not asking for a new nose or a perfect body or whatever. I know we all have physical flaws; even the most physically perfect person as perceived by others has something they wish they could change. I have other physical flaws as well but I just wish I could stop the break outs completely and permanently to just have normal skin. It becomes so frustrating reading about all of these products that work for this one and not that one and then u spend so much money and time on these products and then u wait, wait, wait and then u find out its just not working, then it takes another few weeks or even months to recover from that experiment...it just never stops. Like I said it’s been 20 years and counting! I remember the doc told me I would grow out of it by 18, then 20, then no later than 25!!!! Why can't we just have 1 solid routine that was a CERTAIN remedy???? Is it really just because there is just so much money to be made by the drug companies and doctors that so many people have to suffer through this mental torture???? I completely gave up all of the things I love to eat and drink and even eat things I despise to try to clear up my skin, and still no end in site! Come on, going through all of these different products and routines and so forth is just plain mind boggling now...I mean some people's routines span 7 products in the day and 5 more at night and it just gets to be ridiculous because clarity still does not exist. I'm so tired of having my closet and cabinet filled with products that don't rectify the problem permanently (yes, I have tried the less is more and no-products at all routine as well).

I am just so beyond hopeless at this point. I try my hardest to remain positive and look at the brighter things in life and to be optimistic...yes, I saw "The Secret" and I have always been a religious person....but, when/where exactly is the light at the end of the tunnel...maybe I’ll finally be clear at 85 years old the day before I die! lol

liveandlearn,

i relate to you totally. cystic acne has ruined my life...and that's very hard to accept. however, i refuse to let this thing beat me -- i'm determined to overcome it. 3 courses of accutane HAS NOT totally cleared my acne. so, now i'm on a modified version of dan's regimen and i'm not developing any cysts for the first time in years!

i firmly believe that if there's hope for me, then there's hope for anyone.

liveandlearn,

i relate to you totally. cystic acne has ruined my life...and that's very hard to accept. however, i refuse to let this thing beat me -- i'm determined to overcome it. 3 courses of accutane HAS NOT totally cleared my acne. so, now i'm on a modified version of dan's regimen and i'm not developing any cysts for the first time in years!

i firmly believe that if there's hope for me, then there's hope for anyone.