Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I really don't think fancy department store lines know anything more about skin care than reasonably-priced drugstore formulations. Clinique (and Lancome, Chanel, etc) are selling prestige, not effective products, IMO. In addition, the salespeople for dept store lines are fed a lot of misinformation about products in order to sell the line, not help your skin.

I do agree with Jen above.

I have tried Clinique's cleansing bar in Mild. It was bad. The only nice thing was that it smelt like vanilla. It did end up clogging my pores and it dried up my skin. However, Clinique's skin care line is something else. Some people like, some hate it.

-Nikki-

Guest june

used it years ago.....in my teens......didn't have acne back then.........hated it.........dried my face out tons!.......i am not a fan of clinique......make-up line and skin care line.

My opinion on high-end, department store lines is that they do serve a good purpose when it comes to lotions, bath scrubs, perfumes, oils, etc. There's a degree of psychology that goes into expensive products, the feeling that you're getting a superior brand name and taking care of yourself luxuriously. However, when it comes to skin care, salespeople are not necessarily taught helpful, accurate information-- particulary when it comes to wrinkles and acne. A year ago, my mom's friend was working at the Clinique counter, and I was buying some foundation. She urged me to try something called Acne Protective Shield, or something of that nature. It was a light gel that you put on before your makeup to help protect skin from oil and dirt. I bought it, but, in retrospect, it was such a bullshit product. Most products are. I guess my point is, with regards to acne and skin care in general, the advice on this board, as well as Paula Begoun's books, are excellent resources for honest, helpful information.

Ok, I guess i'll stop using this soap. Which is a good cleansing bar then? Cetaphil? I can't find the purpose bar in canada.

What is everyone else using ????

I use Purpose Gentle Cleansing wash, 4 oz, about $6. Some people find it drying, but I can tolerate it well.

Cetaphil is also good. I would recommend the cleanser, not the bar. I've read that the ingrediants that give bars their shape can contribute to acne. Bars are definitely cheaper, but I prefer washes that come with a pump. Experiment and see what works best, but definitely look for key words like:

Oil free

Dermatologist recommened

Non-comedogenic

Soap-free

Goodluck. smile.gif