Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm 23 years old and have suffered from acne since I was 17. I have been a member though not very active(especially when clear) at this site. My skin tends to be very, annoyingly oily, though in the winter sometimes it gets dried out too much depending on what I use. When I say depending, it's because I have tried a lot of things. I have been clear, including even 90% or better a little over a year ago, in the past. Right now my face actually looks bad enough my Chinese roommate told me "你的脸色看起æ¥è„!", which means my face looked dirty. My face seems to get clogged easily, and I am always at least a tiny bit blotchy. Tzone is very oily no matter what i do. I do not have any acne on my body to speak of. My dad had a lot of acne when he was younger, and my mom had some as well. I am half Asian and not fairskinned...most people think i am Filipino. So I know I inherited acne prone skin. I've been back in China after returning home to Washington, D.C. to visit my parents. I live in a relatively polluted environment in Shanghai, China...but I've been clear enough here, too. I want to give an honest explanation of what i've tried, and where I'm going in the hope that others with similar situations can get something out of it.

Stop reading if you are a different case than me, I'd hate to waste peoples time.

-When my mild acne turned to moderate, I went on tetracycline with topicals triaz and tazorac. This went on from the summer of 17 years old, until about 19-a year and a half where I was clear enough to be very confident in college my freshman year. I would get oily, and just wash it off. Sometimes I would get a cyst, or a few pustules, and hit it with some extra topical. No really big problem.

-My derm told me I should lighten up and then quit the antibiotics as it had been over a year since being on them. I said ok, my skin looked good. I also sneaked the pills and didn't want people to know what they were because I was embarassed. haha, in fact, i'ts only now at the age of 23 I feel comfortable enough with myself to write a post like this. I went off and things started getting wooooorse. Cystic acne, reticence for social situations, loss of confidence, bla bla bla.

-I wanted Accutane, and I got it, though my parents were not thrilled about it. both work for the fed government, NIH and HHS, and they knew about the dangers. Plus, they didn't think it was bad enough to warrant that drug, but i did. I went on accutane and my acne was worse briefly before my face really dried up. Sophomore year in college I was like a ghost, I think I did not moisturize well, or maybe my derm sucked and didn't tell me what kind of cleaning products to use in conjunction or something. But yea, I hid away knowing my skin was gonna be worth it in the end. It DID get better and better until a pimple was an impossibility. The healing process towards the end of the 6 months or so had me getting happier and happier. When I went back to my summer job in June a coworker said my face looked a lot better and asked what medicine I took. I skirted that and told her it must have just cleared up on its own.

-When oil started coming back to my face I was a little concerned, but also realized it made my face look better than a dry, splotchy red mess. Unfortunately I would say two and half months after the course, the oil was back in a big way with pimples. I went back to the derm and he cooly said "a stubborn case of acne." I went back on the tetracycline and started using the loreal Pure Zone, the blue salicylic acid face wash. My face was oily and needed to be blotted or sometimes rinsed but it got better and better. I wasn't totally satisfied though.

-Inspiration hit me in the form of Vanessa Williams and Proactiv. A few months into my junior year in college, before I was 21, I got it. It worked; pimples were noticeably curbed after a few days, and after a couple weeks I felt a lot better about myself though I hated the long drawn out 3 step process. I went back to DC for a long winter vacation and internship, and found a bottle of Neutrogena Blackhead Clearing scrub in the bathroom at home. Active ingredient? 4% (I think, I just know it was more than 2.5%) benzoyle peroxide, and it was a convenient face wash. I switched and didn't have a pimple worth mentioning the entire winter, though in retrospect it was drier and my complexion wasn't all that great in clear mirrors (I had still never thought of using moisturizer, I mean come on, I have oily freaking skin). >>Speaking of which, I hate fluorescent lights and really clear mirrors.<< When I got back to humid Florida I promptly got a couple painful pimples on my temple and searched on the internet. I found this sight, and what followed was a miracle cure the likes I had been looking for almost four years.

-Thankyou Dan!!!! Seriously, after one night of slathering on that BP with the purple and white bottle a big ol pimple was fading fast. I was so happy. I kept going like it was my job to do the Regimen, and stayed clear for a couple months. I would occassionally get a zit or two here and there, but I was clear to the point my confidence shot through the roof, and my oilyness was subdued WITHOUT drying redness like NEVER before. Happy days made me wish i'd found the site earlier before my sophomore year that never was.

-Senior year found more clarity, though I got a large painful pimple when we had to evacuate to Orlando that I still remember because it was the only big one I had gotten on the regimen. I was mostly satisfied though, as is the case with someone low on self esteem/vain, I wanted my skin to be glowing and the exact same tone as...i guess my body. a change in the BP used on the regimen. It made me RED just like people said the first few times I used it. I was pissed. Would it still work???? I immediately cursed myself for thinking there was more i should do to get more perfect skin-you don't miss the old BP till it's gone right? Well, I found that after a few weeks I could rest easy. I was as clear as before. >>I looked at a photo of myself from Senior year the other day, a closeup that was almost perfect. I long for that right now it's only been a year and a half. That really sucks...going BACKWARDS. Sigh.<<I began not caring about taking tetracycline, which I was still on. I dropped from 2 a day to 1 to 1 every other day, and then randomly taking it, but still taking it. I noticed I got bumps under my skin above my nose, and my chin. I COULDN'T GET RID OF THEM. But still, I was clear enough not to worry much at all about them, though they may have been foreshadowing things to come. Also, oil production was back in business my senior year, but i blotted it out and was happy with my face. Sometimes I even skipped doing the Regimen in the morning, with no ill effects, and this actually seemed to help those little bumps.

-I went to China and didn't bring much tetracycline, but I kept the regimen up every morning and night jsut like I should. I was clear up until sometime in Japan. My face started getting more ruddy. Funny because we normally associate China with dirty and Japan with fresh and porcelain skin. ANyways, has nothing to do with that. My face would be kind of reddish, and a little too oily, but I can still look back at photos and see that I was devoid of any big marks. Some little ones occassionaly was it.

-When I returned to the States and after graduation, my girlfriend said my face wasn't that great and that I ought to stop with the bp. She had always hated how it bleached stuff and how long it took to apply, also arguing i didn't need it and that so much was bad. I would tell her that it looked like I didn't need it because it was working. But now, back in D.C. and the development of annoying oil, gradually more consistent acne, and out of ideas I stopped. I used a salicylic acid face wash and that sucked, I used Cetaphil and that sucked. I decided to get back on the Regimen and do it just like the video said, with extra care and the recommended moisturizers. -

-The key was, I thought, that my skin was changing. I do believe it was, because when I got off bp, my face appeared dirtier with cetaphil and salicylic acid, but I never had the cysts I used to have a year and a half prior. I had been on the regimen for over a year but now little zits and too much oil were winning their war. When I made the decision that my skin had changed but i needed to get back on Dan's Regimen, I decided to use a very small amount. In a week, I was noticeably better. But nothing close to the clear I had experienced before. For three months, I tried to get back on the regimen but my face would dry out and be red, or it just wouldn't be enough. I still had little zits that I had thought were a thing of the past in my glory Regimen days. When I had worked for a half a year and the day before I moved to China for study I found something interesting: I washed my face with just the DK cleanser in the morning, and didn't bp nor moisturize afterwards. My face felt different, lighter. It looked better too, not red from dryness or a thick layer of substance on it. My version of the Regimen was now:

Wash face morning and night with Dan's cleanser.

Apply a LITTLE BP over the whole face on every other night.

-It worked! I had an oily face, but I strode into Shanghai pretty damn confident. A little blot maintenance, a lot less work applying bp, and i was good. Unfortunately as the shanghai dry winter rolled in that LITTLE bit of bp really dried me out. I stopped, but I was still dry. I bought a moisturizer, but I think i really suck at doling out the proper amount because i was either dry and red or oily and red. Zenme ban!!? what to do?

-I dropped BP, as at this point (about 5 months ago and another month and a half of the blues) EVEN spot treatment wasn't getting pimples to go down the next day. I mean, I remember that first time when a generous dose of bp slayed a big painful cyst almost over night and I couldn't believe the bp now couldn't handle a small whitehead. I had tetracycline, but I'm pretty sure at this point my body was daaaamn used to the antibiotic. I just washed my face, and it was better, but still prone to small breakouts. I began to wash with water only if my face was dry, and cleanse it at night when it had gotten time to get oily. I could never ever ever get a balance though...my korean friend called me handsome, but greasy.

-I checked out the site, wondering what I could do. Spring came and oiliness was back, but my skin was a bit better. I started to try and fight for something resembling what I had had before and tried a different cleanser compared with Dan's. It made me less red immediately after washing so i went with it. It was a Loreal Chinese face wash designed not to strip the skin (actually anti wrinkle cleanser haha) and containing nothing fighting acne. I got a tan, too, and that helped.

-Still not satisfied, especially with the oiliness that was actualy worse (i was washing about three times a day at this point), I tried out my friend's bath and body works face wash, and also his St. Ive's (the famous one!)apricot exfoliating scrub occassionaly. Now, this was about two months ago, and I was vacationing in HK and the Philippines with my friend. We sweat a lot, dabbed a lot, swam in the pool all day, were in teh sun (with a heft amount of non-comodegenic spf 45 mind you) and went to the beach. My face didn't have much of a CHANCE to get oily with all that water sportin' going around. It was better than it had been in a loooong time, probably since the glory days of my senior year in college. Unfortunately I was tanned as hell and had all these other factors working for me. Once those stopped, oilyness returned, but i had one last good idea (or so i thought).

-I saw that Biotherm was the most sought after product from my Korean female friends. It was rated #1 for Men's skincare too in 2007! They had a line called Acnoclear with the key ingredient being salicylic. I had grown weary and hated the substance since my girlfriend's product. But the St. Ive's didn't seem to hurt my face, and also i remembered i had used the stuff before. I bought this ridiculously expensive stuff, feeling actually better because money=works, right? I flew back home happy to tel my mom I could use the blue towel with no fear.

-I began breaking out worse than I had since the winter time about two weeks ago. I maintained my vigiliance with Biotherm, the quality men's brand. But when I returned to Shanghai after about a month my girlfriend asked me if I liked the brand. I said I did, but her question stayed with me. Psychologically i realized I had so much faith in this thing, but at the same time in the last few days I had not really wanted to see my friends in the city who I hadn't in a couple months. It became clear to me that my face was indeed getting worse using this stuff, and I had a painful big pimple to prove it.

To sum it up, the last few days i have been in a near panic, holed up in my room. I tried to spot BP, which I had sworn off on some problem areas, and ended up feeling like I put grease onto the pimples. I used some cliyocin and got a simliar feeling last night. I have been on this board looking for what amounts to skin care regimens designed for people with oily skin, my age, and without the acid or the peroxide. I found Barnabas's oil one, but I am pretty skeptical. I found the one involveing Clean and Clear 10% peroxide and salicylic face wash combo (though it contains the medication I fear, i also like the idea because it doesn't involved leaving the stuff on your face, something I have slowly come to believe is not what my skin wants or needs) called the Batchla or something. I have read about homemade masks and vinegar. The last post I read was about transitioning from vinegar to ultimately some water. That post was pretty inspirational, because it seemed to fit well with what I've experienced ever since the Regimen started to not suit my changing skin. If i could get to the point where my skin was even toned, oil was somewhat manageable, and the occassional pimple, bless it. I think I am going to try to get off the medication of any kind, though I am not positive whether to try vinegar, a gentle cleanser (fuck Cetaphil!), a gentle exfoliator?? a gentle toner??

I think i will try the vinegar and try to stay strict to a less is more approach. My body is fine, my face seems to crave something simple and more natural. If anyone knows of a gentle cleanser, toner, whatever, I'd be glad to hear it as maybe that will be an easier transition. this post itself is too long for people to bother i fear, nor does it contain any answers. But I will continue to post about my progress. I am honest, have nothing to sell, and have been trying new things for a long enough time and consistently enough to not jump to conclusions. No "Wow two days and no new pimples, this must be the one!" from me.

That said, I hope I can stay the course and not run back to bp if things take a turn for the worse.

I read half through this but I will finish in the morning(my parents will kill me if they find out I'm still here!!!), chineseeeee yaaaaay, im trying to learn, so far the only character i can recognize is ä½ , ni, you, person

i suck :(

I read half through this but I will finish in the morning(my parents will kill me if they find out I'm still here!!!), chineseeeee yaaaaay, im trying to learn, so far the only character i can recognize is ä½ , ni, you, person

i suck :(

I think you should ask a mod to change this post to another forum, could be to the personal logs section???

good luck with the vinegar!!!

hmmmm, please check out my blog all who have read this post or are interested. I will keep it regular and while I feel good about myself all could change tomorrow and then again all could change next week or next month. a does of skepticism is always good to temper optimism...likewise pessimism should not cut hope completely to ribbons.

Sounds very similar to my situation.

My biggest gamble: Stop using products, washes, BP and every other fukcin product on the market.

Want to know my results 6 months later?

Only a few pimples here and there. I went from consistent cysts to small whiteheads occasionally. My skin is still incredibly wrecked from years of destroying it, but the redness is gone. I still have pigmentation that is slowly slowly fading.

Overall, my skin is much much better. I eat clean (i always have), i excercise (always have) and i quit the products.

The only thing i use now is a moisturizer (complex15) and just recently started using vaseline before bed.

Seriously, stop the toners, stop the washes, stop everything. They're not natural, and chances are they are the source of your problems. My skin improved so much in the first week alone. I still have ups and downs in skin, but way more ups now :)

sweet! i think some whiteheads and occasional pimples would be well worth the positives. Of course I would envy people with perfect skin, but I distinctly remember seeing friends who would get a breakout or a big pimple...yet the rest of their face still glowed and then that blemish would heal. It's like, even if I was more clear than them, my skin wasn't as healthy as theirs nor nice looking

I think that alot of it has to do with stress and genetics, when I had no bills and was partying my freshman year all I used was a tube of neutrogena clay mask twice per day for 20 minutes and had perfect skin all year. Once I got the stresses of the job and the credit cards etc. my skin went south and I had more products than most stores. All I would say is Ive tried all the pro activ's there are and they work but the thing is if you have scars it doesnt matter how clear your skin is because you've got pock marks. Grow a beard, get rich and your complexion will not be as much of a issue as it is daily.