Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tewky

So, I'm a peanut butter nut and I have acne

In addition to generally unhealthy skin (rosacea, keratosis pilaris, some folliculitis) I also have acne on my face, neck, back, and shoulders.

Two courses of accutane and topical application of various medications were only temporary fixes, and I'm sick of spending money and time on dealing with the symptoms and not the cause.

So, I have adopted a strict acne diet which includes the following: no dairy of any form, no trans fats, only whole wheat, no refined sugars or products loaded with preservatives, lots of water per day 2L at least, vegetables/fruits like carrots and blueberries. I have also been taking vitamins to help with my skin's health.

But I still suffer from acne breakouts. General skin care aside (I cleanse twice a day with cetaphil, use clean sheets and pillows every few days, and avoid any skin irritants), I still think I am missing something that is causing my acne.

One of the biggest culprits in my list is peanut butter. I like to weightlift, and I am a very lazy cook, so the best way for me to get protein is through large amounts of peanut butter.

On average in a day, I'd say I consume 3-6 tablespoons of peanut butter. Might not sound like much if I put it in those units, but it's equivalent to 1-2 peanut butter sandwiches LOADED with peanut butter.

I read in a few spots that peanut butter and peanuts should be cut out to help with acne due to an imbalance of Omega -3 and Omega -6 or something along those lines.

Is it advisable that I should cut out peanut butter, and if so, do you guys know of any good alternatives? Please note that the peanut butter I eat is trans-fat free, organic peanut butter.

Share any experiences with peanut butter or nuts in general! Thanks

I used to love peanuts/ peanutbutter but I heard they have some hormone in them that is bad for acne :(. I have stopped eating them but i'm trying out new nuts to try... walnuts, pistashios, pecans, almonds. I don't know if they are bad for acne but what eva!

Good protein sources are chicken, tuna (canned works... and tuna has a lot of omega 3 which is good for complexion and about 20g protein per can), eggs, and nuts

Maybe its a combination of the peanut butter addiction and Cetaphil. In my opinion, Cetaphil is one of the worst cleansers on the market. I broke out all over my face from it and it made my face red. It also left a white film on my face. I know it works for some people and not others. Maybe either try Dans regimen or a glycolic acid product (not both though)

Maybe its a combination of the peanut butter addiction and Cetaphil. In my opinion, Cetaphil is one of the worst cleansers on the market. I broke out all over my face from it and it made my face red. It also left a white film on my face. I know it works for some people and not others. Maybe either try Dans regimen or a glycolic acid product (not both though)

Well you dont want to eat too much tuna either because tuna contains mercury and we all know too much mercury is horrible for the brain.

Please keep my updated on how you like the Aqua Glycolic, once youve been using it for a couple of weeks that is

i would stick with whole nuts instead of nut butters, almonds are a good anti-inflammatory choice

Yeah, that's the organic kind of peanut butter. If you look at the ingredient list, you should see 'Peanuts' or 'Select Peanuts.' If there is anything else, there are additives in your peanut butter that likely contain salt, preservatives, and trans/saturated fats, none of which are good for the skin.

My peanut butter is organic and is only made with peanuts.

Cyph: Thanks for the reply. I think because my peanut butter is made with only peanuts, it basically acts the same as whole nuts. Skippy and Kraft and those kinds of peanut butter are terrible for the diet, but the kind I use contains none of the additives.

Also, thanks for the almond tip. I've started drinking 'Almond Dream' milk with cereal and whatnot as I have given up milk/dairy in efforts to eliminate my acne. Hopefully it helps the inflammation.

Yeah, it seems like everyone here loves cetaphil, but when I was using that stuff my acne was the worst in my life. I was also 15 and my house had well water.

Peanuts are actually a legume not a nut technically. What bugs me the most is that in Pb there is a fungus or mold always present. Laws say that there has to be less than x amount of it when shipped to store, but more grow, and esepcially they grow if you open the container and do not refridgerate it. Natural pb is even worse I think. Tewky, do you have anything against eggs? You could make an egg omlette with other protein stuff, but I dunno. Maybe get a spinach salad, and add in some hard boiled eggs, flax oil, and finish it up with a rice milk shake and hemp, gemma, egg (white), isolates.

Peanuts are actually a legume not a nut technically. What bugs me the most is that in Pb there is a fungus or mold always present. Laws say that there has to be less than x amount of it when shipped to store, but more grow, and esepcially they grow if you open the container and do not refridgerate it. Natural pb is even worse I think. Tewky, do you have anything against eggs? You could make an egg omlette with other protein stuff, but I dunno. Maybe get a spinach salad, and add in some hard boiled eggs, flax oil, and finish it up with a rice milk shake and hemp, gemma, egg (white), isolates.

you should try to cut out all nuts, grains, whole/refined wheats and anything with gluten.

and limiting your fruit intake, they have too much sugar

eat a high protein high fat diet, with veggies

and how exactly are you going to get a high fat diet without nuts or seeds ? olive oil is the healthiest cooking/salad oil you can use and it still has 20 grams omega 6 per cup

a high fat diet and a high omega 6 intake go hand in hand, you will have much more monounsaturated fat from sources like nuts and olive oil and eggs but you will also have a much higher intake of omega 6

i see no reason to cut out all nuts, i just think that peanuts are a bad choice

people need to get off this damn anti-carb bandwagon, quality protein and fat sources don't just grow on trees at cheap cost

you can get enough good fat from things like coconut oil, avocados, beef, lamb, chicken/ skin, bacon,

good quality meats, etc

all of those also come with decent quantities of saturated fat and/or O6

i didn't say you won't get enough "good fats" (monounsaturated + O3 + O9) from them, my point is you will get the other two that you don't want along with them

all of those also come with decent quantities of saturated fat and/or O6

i didn't say you won't get enough "good fats" (monounsaturated + O3 + O9) from them, my point is you will get the other two that you don't want along with them

Nuts and peanut butter kill my skin! It makes me break out so bad on my neck I look like I have chicken pox! Just my system I guess, Elf

you can always buy almond butter, but very expensive lol i think i tried picking up a jar and then walking away after seeing the 16 dollar price tag haha.

Whatever happened to good ol whey to supplment your protein needs. Buy a 5lb tub of ON 100% at amazon for 25 bux.

Need good fats also? drink muscle milk before you sleep; 18 a tub at amazon.

btw the sale is over on the 31st.

lates.

I'm a bodybuilder and I can say this..

Peanut butter actually increases testosterone.

It also has high fat content and is comprised of oils.

I eat a lot during the bulking season and I get the same.

I'm a bodybuilder and I can say this..

Peanut butter actually increases testosterone.

It also has high fat content and is comprised of oils.

I eat a lot during the bulking season and I get the same.

Is that comment about a few tablespoons of flaxseed oil offsetting the omega 6s true? Because I have a pretty high fat diet as part of a weight-gain regimen and eat quite a lot of various nuts -particularly peanuts, almonds, and walnuts. I know walnuts have some omega 3s, but I figure I might as well add flaxseed just for the heck of it.

Is that comment about a few tablespoons of flaxseed oil offsetting the omega 6s true? Because I have a pretty high fat diet as part of a weight-gain regimen and eat quite a lot of various nuts -particularly peanuts, almonds, and walnuts. I know walnuts have some omega 3s, but I figure I might as well add flaxseed just for the heck of it.