Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rx

Roche if I can?

I've called 2 local pharmacies, one (Pharmasave) only has Claravis and no longer carry the brand name.

The other (shoppers), has Roche the brand name and a few generics.

When I go to pick it up, should I request Roche (if covered by insurance -- if not a generic obviously). I've read it's the exact same drug, but if I can get Roche and it's covered by insurance I should go for it shouldn't I?

Yup why not? Roche is the original makers of accutane so they know best. Besides Roche accutane are more expensive then others and since your insurance can cover it why save money for them?

If you can't get the Roche ones, make sure you buy the FDA-approved accutane. Only Ammestern, claravis, Roche and sotret are FDA-approved I think.

My Derm. recommends Roche (brand) or the generic Sotret only. My insurance only covers generic so I called around Pharmacies until I found one that had Sotret. I've been pleased, at the end of month four.

Yvette

My doctor said she is only going to treat me for 3 months on Accutane, that's the norm she said.

But I've read the regular treatment time on here, is 6 months.

What is the regular treatment time? lol

Hi there -

Three months is not the full course. Most would say this is too short term. In the Accutane pamplet that comes with the medicine, general prescribing is .5mg to 1mg per KG of body weight and a cummulative dosage of 120mg per KG of weight. The treatment range suggested is minimum 16 weeks (about 4 months) to 6 months. You have better chance of remission if you take a full course and a cummulative dose of 120mg per KG of weight. For example, if you weigh 45kg (or about 100 lbs) you would need to take minimum 22.5 - 45mg of Accutane daily per recommended dosage. The more mild your acne, the more sensitive your skin, or other health problems you may want to stick to the mid-lower range of this dosage. You could also start in the lower range and work you way up month 2 or 3, for example. The cummulative dose would be 120*45 = 5,400 total mg of ingested Accutane at the end of treatment to have a better chance of remission.

I'm in month four of low dose (20mg) and I will be taking Accutane a bit longer than 6 months since low dose. I can't take the recommended dose as I have very sensitive and thinner skin. My Derm. said this will still get me to where we want and to the cummulative dose.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Yvette

My doctor is starting me out on 30mg/day... I have no idea if she will be increasing it the next month and so on... I sure hope so.

I don't think she knows a whole lot about acne treatment, but it's too late to ask for a dermatologist referral, as I'd have to wait awhile for the appointment, and then accutane once again.

How do you think I could inform my doctor of this, have her read the pamphlet? Have the pharmacist call her?

I weigh 119lbs (54kg), therefore it's 0.5mg per kg for this month.