Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Glass

Some Tip From My Derm

The last time I visited my derm, I told her that the product I'm using aggravates my red marks, especially in the morning. I was using Proactive then. She asked if I can bring the products.

She looked at the ingredients and told me that the Proactive toner has glycolic acid, which is good, but makes your skin photosensitive—sensitive to sunlight. She said the reason for my red face was because I was exposed to sunlight while using that product.

The tip is: when using glycolic products, you should never forget to use sunscreen. Ever since I started using one, the marks have started fading faster. I'm using VMV Armada spf 30 sunscreen. It helps with brown marks. Anyway, that's all. I just wanted to share something with you people. :)

Very nice tip and very good to remind people of the importance of sunscreen when using glycolic acid.

Glycolic acid is one of the exfoliants/treatments that cleared me up all by itself. Sunscreen is so very important with it. Sunscreen's important anyway, but doubly so when using AHAs or really most types of chemical exfoliants.

Thanks for the tip. :surprised: Every time I read a post about a derm, it makes me think less highly of them.. i mean, not knowing about proactiv, cmon. It seems all that theyre useful for acne-wise is seeing you for a couple of minutes and then prescribing you something.. thats what my case was like anyway.

i agree, ive none this for awhile, to bad it was after i stopped using proactive...every body complains about proactive, its actully not that bad if u use it right...cleared my acne, but it screwed up my skin

i agree, ive none this for awhile, to bad it was after i stopped using proactive...every body complains about proactive, its actully not that bad if u use it right...cleared my acne, but it screwed up my skin

Yes, and it is expressly stated in the product that it is "For the treatment of uncomplicated acne." That in itself is a signal that this isn't a cure-all for acne. But it is a good product, nonetheless—I like the lotion. Although the benzoyl peroxide overload can be too much for some skins to take.

Very nice tip and very good to remind people of the importance of sunscreen when using glycolic acid.

Glycolic acid is one of the exfoliants/treatments that cleared me up all by itself. Sunscreen is so very important with it. Sunscreen's important anyway, but doubly so when using AHAs or really most types of chemical exfoliants.

Wynne, you're a moderator now! Wow. :D

Yes, the glycolic product I'm using now is helping with my red marks. And I agree with the sunscreen. Before I started using sunscreen, I usually get messy reddish skin at the end of the day. Not anymore. :D