Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This post strikes me as really selfish and bizarre. It is awful that some people have problems with Accutane, but it is also a drug that helps many, many people. It wouldn't still be on the market if it didn't improve the skin quality of the vast majority of those who take it. My roommate had AWFUL acne and now it is 90% better. I had mild/moderate acne and I'm almost 4 months in and don't have a zit anywhere.

It's like chemotherapy, sometimes it weakens people with cancer more, but should the treatment be eradicated or never attempted because of that? It also saves hundreds of thousands of lives!

People who say accutane was made to help people are being niave, many many drugs are not produced because they won't be profitable. Research companys at these large pharmicuiticals hide natural ways of treating diseases e.g. b17 deficiency and cancer...

The ONLY reason accutane was made was because it is HIGHLY profitable, the fact that it is fairly efficient is the reason it is profitable, they don't care so much about the side effects so long as they are still allowed to sell their product...

Ugh.

It's people like this that are going to take our precious accutane off the market due to crazy side effect hype. I will be SO damn pissed if accutane is ever discontinued.

Ugh.

It's people like this that are going to take our precious accutane off the market due to crazy side effect hype. I will be SO damn pissed if accutane is ever discontinued.

Ugh.

I don't believe accutane caused facial scarring. It's likely that you didn't notice the damage done by acne, because your acne was getting in the way. People always notice their scarring more once their acne has gone. If your acne was bad enough to go on accutane, then I can't imagine you had no scarring.

Accutane can definitely cause depression, regardless of what anybody tells you, I experienced it and it sucks. If you're still suffering with it, then you need to visit your GP and perhaps go on a course of anti depressants or maybe visit a councilor.

I'm don't think you have a case for a lawsuit, we all knew the risks before we went on the drug but we still did it, out of desperation.

Rather than focusing your time on blaming Roche, spend your time resolving the problems, seek help and try to enjoy life.

Good luck sorting out the depression.

I don't believe accutane caused facial scarring. It's likely that you didn't notice the damage done by acne, because your acne was getting in the way. People always notice their scarring more once their acne has gone. If your acne was bad enough to go on accutane, then I can't imagine you had no scarring.

Accutane can definitely cause depression, regardless of what anybody tells you, I experienced it and it sucks. If you're still suffering with it, then you need to visit your GP and perhaps go on a course of anti depressants or maybe visit a councilor.

I'm don't think you have a case for a lawsuit, we all knew the risks before we went on the drug but we still did it, out of desperation.

Rather than focusing your time on blaming Roche, spend your time resolving the problems, seek help and try to enjoy life.

I know for a fact that accutane caused my bad scarring. Yes I had a few scars before, but then again I had what my derm called "mild acne". While on tane (I'm just finishing my course) I broke out really bad with cysts and huge whiteheads beyond belief. Many(most) left gross looking depressions after healing. Yeah, I'm super pissed, but I just guess thats how my life was supposed to turn out:/

I know for a fact that accutane caused my bad scarring. Yes I had a few scars before, but then again I had what my derm called "mild acne". While on tane (I'm just finishing my course) I broke out really bad with cysts and huge whiteheads beyond belief. Many(most) left gross looking depressions after healing. Yeah, I'm super pissed, but I just guess thats how my life was supposed to turn out:/

Ugh.

It's people like this that are going to take our precious accutane off the market due to crazy side effect hype.

There aren't actually a lot of complaints about it. You have to realize the immense amount of people taking accutane. But no one talks about it, unless it's on the internet. That's why you tihnk there's so many complaints. Everyone who complains does so anonymously over the internet. The rest are out enjoying their newfound skin.

I asked my derm, who's been a doctor for decades now. No one has stopped because of side effects. Ofcourse, she is overly cautious about dosage and health effects, so maybe that makes a difference.

In any case, ACCUTANE IS A LAST RESORT. The biggest problem nowadays is that it's given out like candy. It SHOULDN't be given to people with mild acne. It shouldn't even be given to people with moderate acne. It should only be used in extreme cases, where the subject really feels physical pain and suffering.

The only reason I did accutane was because I couldn't sleep at night. Every single spot on my face was covered in cysts, and lying on my face would cause intense pain. My back was covered in cysts too, so I couldn't sleep on my back either. Showers would cause excessive bleeding, no matter how careful I was. My T-shirts got bloody, and so did all my towels. I couldn't open my mouth fully, because several cysts prevented me from using my facial muscles. I couldn't laugh, frown or smile at certain points. Basicically I had to keep a stiff face. Sometimes, cysts or nodules would burst open by themselves, both on my face as on my back.

When I took accutane, I made the concious decision that I was willing to accept any side-effects, be it temporary or permanent.

Suicidal thoughts? -> I have a strong enough willpower to prevent myself from doing something like this. I made a promise I wouldn't kill myself, and I don't break promises, no matter how much pain or suffering I have to endure.

Depression -> I would just take anti-depressants/seek help.

Scarring -> Scarring doesn't hurt, so it sure as hell would beat the condition I was in before accutane.

permant dry lips/eyes/etc -> Apply moisurizer for the rest of my life.

Overly sensitive to the sun -> Apply sunblock for the rest of my life.

permanent pain in joints -> I'll skin on sports for the rest of my life.

If you don't make the same decision, and are not willing to accept the risks, you should just stick to having acne. It's a weighing problem, and the acne outweighed the risks of accutane. If accutane would have been banned, I might still be in that condition, and I would have hated anyone who got it banned just to get a little cash.

Making money off a lawsuit and getting accutane banned is just plain selfish.

Equally, giving accutane to just about any random person is foolish. The laws should be stricter, as clearly proven in this thread.

Poor love. I know you're feeling cheated and miserable, but you are being rather melodramatic. It's a ridiculous cliche, but sometimes we just have to accept these things instead of wasting our emotions on pissing and moaning and shouting about something that effectively can't be changed. You'll end up dying alone and bitter upside down on a pub toilet somewhere if you're not careful!

There aren't actually a lot of complaints about it. You have to realize the immense amount of people taking accutane. But no one talks about it, unless it's on the internet. That's why you tihnk there's so many complaints. Everyone who complains does so anonymously over the internet. The rest are out enjoying their newfound skin.

Poor love. I know you're feeling cheated and miserable, but you are being rather melodramatic. It's a ridiculous cliche, but sometimes we just have to accept these things instead of wasting our emotions on pissing and moaning and shouting about something that effectively can't be changed. You'll end up dying alone and bitter upside down on a pub toilet somewhere if you're not careful!

Geez... accutane is the last resort for people. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. You should be blaming your dermatologist if anybody if they didn't tell you that your skin would become more sensitive while on and after your course and that it was more vulnerable. That's why we have to stay out of the sun and coat on the sun block. I'm sad that you were one of the unlucky few that didn't have good results, I truly am, but the risks are clear.

I asked my derm, who's been a doctor for decades now. No one has stopped because of side effects. Ofcourse, she is overly cautious about dosage and health effects, so maybe that makes a difference.

In any case, ACCUTANE IS A LAST RESORT. The biggest problem nowadays is that it's given out like candy. It SHOULDN't be given to people with mild acne. It shouldn't even be given to people with moderate acne. It should only be used in extreme cases, where the subject really feels physical pain and suffering.

The only reason I did accutane was because I couldn't sleep at night. Every single spot on my face was covered in cysts, and lying on my face would cause intense pain. My back was covered in cysts too, so I couldn't sleep on my back either. Showers would cause excessive bleeding, no matter how careful I was. My T-shirts got bloody, and so did all my towels. I couldn't open my mouth fully, because several cysts prevented me from using my facial muscles. I couldn't laugh, frown or smile at certain points. Basicically I had to keep a stiff face. Sometimes, cysts or nodules would burst open by themselves, both on my face as on my back.

When I took accutane, I made the concious decision that I was willing to accept any side-effects, be it temporary or permanent.

Suicidal thoughts? -> I have a strong enough willpower to prevent myself from doing something like this. I made a promise I wouldn't kill myself, and I don't break promises, no matter how much pain or suffering I have to endure.

Depression -> I would just take anti-depressants/seek help.

Scarring -> Scarring doesn't hurt, so it sure as hell would beat the condition I was in before accutane.

permant dry lips/eyes/etc -> Apply moisurizer for the rest of my life.

Overly sensitive to the sun -> Apply sunblock for the rest of my life.

permanent pain in joints -> I'll skin on sports for the rest of my life.

If you don't make the same decision, and are not willing to accept the risks, you should just stick to having acne. It's a weighing problem, and the acne outweighed the risks of accutane. If accutane would have been banned, I might still be in that condition, and I would have hated anyone who got it banned just to get a little cash.

Making money off a lawsuit and getting accutane banned is just plain selfish.

Equally, giving accutane to just about any random person is foolish. The laws should be stricter, as clearly proven in this thread.

Why not...instead of wasting your time with a lawsuit, try and figure out exactly how Accutane works, and then take out your immense dislike for the company Hoffman-LaRoche (who is made up of people like you and like me), by challenging their market share in this sector by providing a safer, more effective, natural alternative to Accutane?

That would be good, I might have a look into why Accutane works (and not take the stuff), and see how I could naturally achieve similar effects.

Why not...instead of wasting your time with a lawsuit, try and figure out exactly how Accutane works, and then take out your immense dislike for the company Hoffman-LaRoche (who is made up of people like you and like me), by challenging their market share in this sector by providing a safer, more effective, natural alternative to Accutane?

That would be good, I might have a look into why Accutane works (and not take the stuff), and see how I could naturally achieve similar effects.

Whoa you just brought this topic back from the grave.

I know, was it ready to be awakened?

Still, knowing exactly by what mechanism Accutane actually works is useful.

So far, I have been able to ascertain that one of the toxic effects of Synthetic Vitamin A is extremely dry skin. I would say it seems purely accidental that Accutane works for Acne, as it would not have been really synthesized originally for this purpose. Therefore you are taking something toxic, to deliberately cause the toxic effect of very dry skin, so that bacteria on the skin is no longer fed for 1, and all dies, and for 2, less build up of oil prevents abnormal clogging of the skin. Since ingestion of Accutane is of an almost deliberately toxic substance by the looks of things, then there is no surprise to me then that some people complain about it.

The main reason I can see that it affects Acne, is because it causes extremely dry skin, as part of its toxicity. The "side effects" are not really side effects, they are just the effects of taking a synthetic Vitamin A derivative in Largedoses.

Diagnose-Me.com (n.d.) state the following about Vitamin A Toxicity: "The first significant toxic symptom is usually headache followed by fatigue, emotional lability, and muscle and joint pain", and that "Chapped lips and dry skin...generally occur in the majority of patients, particularly in dry weather". I would say that the fact that Vitamin A Toxicity induces dry skin, is what was seized on in order to make this a potential treatment for Acne. However, it remains, in my opinion, toxic. The Wikipedia (2008) state that "Increasingly higher dosages of isotretinoin will result in higher toxicity, resembling vitamin A toxicity". This is because "Retinoic acid is the oxidized form of Vitamin A" (Wikipedia, 2008), and isotretinoin (Roaccutane) is a retinoic acid derivative (Wikipedia, 2008).

Diagnose-Me.com, n.d., Diagnose-Me: Condition: Vitamin A Toxicity, Accessed October 2008, http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C385715.html.

Wikipedia, 2008, Isotretinoin, Accessed October 2008, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotretinoin.

Wikipedia, 2008, Retinoic acid, Accessed October 2008, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinoic_acid.

What puzzles me is why people want to sue the manufacturer when all information is written in black and white in the reading materials that come with the medicine. Why people don't take responsibility for their own misfortunes is beyond me. THE RISKS ARE STATED, yet there are those that refuse to read what is given to them and base everything on what the doctor tells them or what they've read from the all knowing internet. Folks, READ THE MATERIAL. Be responsible for your own actions. It's YOUR job to educate yourself, not 100% your doctor's. It's YOUR body. YOUR decision. YOUR outcome. If you still decide to take the medicine after all of the warnings and are subject to awful side effects, it was YOUR choice. Crying malpractice or ignorance doesn't fly with this medicine. Its been through the wringer and back, which is exactly why everything is bluntly stated in the pamphlet that accompanies the drug.

I think Accutane is a yin/yang. I agree that it is an incredibly dangerous drug, but it has also helped so many people. I have always been an upbeat person, but after getting bad acne, I didn't leave the house for 4-5 months. There were days when I couldn't eat normally because of cysts around my mouth. I do agree that it should likely be taken off the market somewhere down the line, but NOT UNTILa safer, equally effective drug has been released. Most people on Accutane are using it as a last resort - nothing else has worked for them. What are they supposed to try if Accutane is discontinued? In the meantime, I think side effects should be stressed more by the doctors prescribing the drug. My derm was good about this, but from what I hear, a lot of people didn't get adequate information from their derms before starting Tane.

Good luck taking on a big corporation like Roche. It has deep pockets and dedicated legal department just to handle these non-stop daily nonsense. The legal fee alone will bankrupt you unless you have a lot of money to burn.