Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RAGLOO

Life with acne?...do people really care?

Hi

I was just wondering do people really notice your acne?

And if so do they care?

What do your friends think?

Most of my friends never bring it up. Never make it a sticking point or put me down about it, which I am grateful for. One of my mates has on a few occassions made a fairly unoffensive joke about a black head (*names* got a beauty mark). I got kinda pissed off but then realized that A) may as well be open about things and I honestly don't think he was meaning to be particularly nasty and B) it all makes you stronger anyway.

Of course people notice. Although personally I think I inflate how bad my acne is compared to how visible it actually is. I think girls care to an extent.

my 2 cents

I guess we'll never know if people notice our acne or not unless we ask them. ;) But I wonder the same thing....a lot...

As for my friends, it's a rarely touched on subject, but if it is brought up, I want the subject changed. One of my friends told me my skin was getting better. :D So, aside from being weird and awkward, it was actually a compliment. So I guess they do, but they're your friends - they're supposed to accept you for who you are anyway, right? :D

i notice skin problems on others right away obv because having acne makes me obsessed with skin. soooo i'd say people can see acne very clearly and are probably grossed out. i know i was grossed out when isaw people with acne when i was younger and my skin was clear.

that hurts the most because i know thats what people think of me now. because thats how i used to think. and we all know how superifical people are these days...

Hi

I was just wondering do people really notice your acne?

And if so do they care?

What do your friends think?

I never thought about that. None of my friends ever bring it up. Its usually me that does and when I do they dont say anything bad. They sometimes even tell me its just me and it isnt that bad as I make it out to me.

Thats a very very good question Ragloo. Very good question indeed. Do people really care? Im to afraid to ask :shrug:

im sure other people notice, but doubt they care.

the fact that wecare so much blows our acne way out of proportion, and in some cases makes us antisocial. friends will definately care if you never call them back or hang out. the emotional and psychological effects of acne can be devastating, whereas im sure the disease itself has little importance to other people.

as for comments and stuff, now that i am clear i dont hear any. Before, my family would often say silly stuff such as "gee, what happenned to your face?" *comes up really close and scrutinizes my every pore* "you really should stop picking at your skin, it looks terrible"

ooooooooooooooh :wall: that would really piss me off and ruin my day. However my friends teachers and bosses never cared about my skin or mentioned it

often i felt like i had to be extra funny, extra smart and extra helpful to make up for my appearance

Other people may notice. Unless they are extremely superficial twits, they likely won't care, though. :)

Remember: you notice your acne far far more than anyone else ever does. What to you is Mount Everest may be a teeny tiny little whitehead to a friend. ;) More likely the casual observer, not just a friend, won't even notice your acne. In the first five minutes, sure, they might notice if it is particularly severe but after that, they are more interested in what you're saying.

I notice when other ppl have acne but I don't mind because I understand what they must be feeling. I also think "wow they are so brave for attending this social event or come to work like that!" Most ppl don't mention acne about me, I think it would be just as wmbarrassing for me as it is for them.

I noticed if people are more shy and quiet, people might remember them by their acne. But if a person has the same amount of acne but is lively and outgoing people notice more of their personality rather than their face.

my friends do say things unfortunately. usually my friends with a little acne will be like "yeah i hate acne. i know yours is worse but still i hate mine" which really doesn't help me at all. (:

boyfriends never say anything about it..probably because i wear makeup and they don't really know!

but i don't like it nonetheless even if no one says mean stuff to me about it (to my face)[anymore]

As for me, well my friends have never brought it up, unless I went to them about it. And you know what? Not all my friends have beauiful clear skin, I must admit, that a few of them do, and I feel like punching them out when they get one zit, and they are like "You are so lucky, cause when I get a zit, everyone notices it!"

But its not like they are meaning any harm. Like I said, my friends, and the boyfriends Ive had, have never really said anything about. And they accepted me for who I am, not just what I look like. I dont think the whole world is as superficial as we think. I mean, yeah we are all obsessed with the "idealistic" look but its unreachable, so its kind of like just [email protected]#$% it. You know?

If I had a friend, with really bad acne, or someone with acne like mine is now, I wouldnt not be friends with them, or ignore them, or outright bully them, because, its not like thats who they are.

I believe that we all see our acne worse than anyone else does. Since many of us obsessively look in the mirror and pick out our flaws, of course we are going to see our skin worse than anyone else does, therefore making it a bigger issue than it really is!

Obviously some people will notice that our skin is less than perfect, but most people won't even be phased by it!1

Over the years, i've always moaned about my skin to family and friends, and they've always told me that it's not half as bad as i make it out to be!!

I tend to believe that my friends and family don't take any notice of my skin because they like me for who i am and not how my skin looks!!

My friends think their OWN acne is disgusting and horrible (which it often isn't). But they wouldn't ever say anything about mine unless it's "your skin is looking better!" Which I sometimes think might be insincere, but it makes me feel better at least.

Last night I was at a party and I went over to see what they were discussing (sounded interesting) and this girl was complaining about her TWO pimples! She pointed them out to me (I couldn't find them) and I rolled my eyes, said "that's nothing to worry about," and walked away. She said she tried for "an hour" to hide them but I couldn't even notice them without getting up into her face! It was ridiculous.

The general public definately notices acne. But prob not as much as we acne sufferers do - we are attuned to it.

People are horrid, and will always say stuff in jest like 'god, look at that fat girl' .

being overweight is a negative personal trait just like acne.

so i'm certain people say 'god, look at that girl with lots of spots'.

People will always notice good skin, i have heard many times 'she had flawless skin' etc, so people must notice bad skin as easily.

This is demonstrated by the tv /media - when they want to portray an ugly, dirty person - that person is always fat, has spots, has greasy hair. When they portray tramps, and witches, they always have spots and greasy hair. When portraying a dirty, poor student-type, they always have spots.

Its a horrid untrue stereotype that unclean people have spots.

We are the cleanest people we know - we have the strictest cleaning regime out of anyone for sure!

i get work colleagues and friends say stuff like 'oh i woke up this morning with 2 spots, i've spent ages trying to cover them up, its awful', then they realise i'm in the room and i have like 40 spots on my face and the atmosphere feels really awkward and tense, and i'm just waiting for them to change the subject.

but i do think that people 'dont care' about acne. I'm sure its noticed but then people move on and forget it. and friends dont judge you for it.

The general public are too involved with themselves and their own lives to bother about thinking for miore than 1 second about someones face.