Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
katy89

They seem not to care...

So I went to the Derm Nurse today after he asked me to come back for a special appointment to check about depression and how accutane might be causing me to feel this way. I spent £7.20 on buses ($14 ish) to get there, took half a day off work, only to be in there for a minute (literally) and told I'd have "blemishes" after my course and that I may have to go on it longer. Nothing about discussing my feelings, nothing about my crying spells that I told him last time, nothng about my emotional state. He hurried me away like he was in a rush.

Now I feel crap. Angry and that they don't really care. Why should they pretend to understand when they are ushering you to get away just to get to the end of their working day, see the next patient. What about us? It was such a waste of time and I feel worse than last time when I burst into tears in the appointment.

Argh. :wall:

yeah, derms have treated me pretty bad as well. my normal apointment lasts a few minutes whereas i must wait about an hour. i think they should have just for acne derms bc the derms i see dont seem too concerned with my troubles...

I don't understand why you only get a minute. Here in Belgium, I think a doctor has to give 20 minutes per patient. If it's faster, all the better for the people waiting, and if it's longer, then so be it (though it rarely is).

Anyway, you didn't even mention your depression? You definitely should have. But it's not like your derm could have done anything about it, other than refer you a good psychiatrist.

You shouldn't be intimidated by your derm. If you have questions, ask them. But don't expect anything other than skin-related advice.

it's the system of managed care...... its like an all-inclusive vacation or buffet....

you get what you need, but none if it's ever that good...

If you've ever paid for a doctor who only took cash, (there are a bunch in ny), you get time with a real person....

It's the insurance company's fault for dictating the flow. They would rather slowly pay your doctor 30 dollars each visit for the remaineder of your life than paying him/her to speak with you at length and find a cure...

Good example in michael moore's movie "sicko" when the brittish doctor spoke about how he got a bonus for patients doing well and keeping fit...... that ides would change the way dermatology offices were run....

So I went to the Derm Nurse today after he asked me to come back for a special appointment to check about depression and how accutane might be causing me to feel this way. I spent £7.20 on buses ($14 ish) to get there, took half a day off work, only to be in there for a minute (literally) and told I'd have "blemishes" after my course and that I may have to go on it longer. Nothing about discussing my feelings, nothing about my crying spells that I told him last time, nothng about my emotional state. He hurried me away like he was in a rush.

Now I feel crap. Angry and that they don't really care. Why should they pretend to understand when they are ushering you to get away just to get to the end of their working day, see the next patient. What about us? It was such a waste of time and I feel worse than last time when I burst into tears in the appointment.

Same issues here. I've learned to be pretty aggressive (but not mean) with them just so they'd spent another 30 seconds hearing me out. I have yet to find a doctor who's worth my waiting time and money. Don't get me wrong. I know there busy and stressed, but bed side manners mean a lot to me. AT Least pretend to care!

Same here, I was rushed straight in and straight out, and literally had to talk loudly over her to ask any questions. She didn't want to know about my past history of depression and my concerns about starting the drug.

After waiting 2yrs for the appointment, I just felt cheated. Thank God I could come here and learn from you knowledgeable people!

Hope you're soon feeling better Katy, never take chances with your mental health - if you're concerned MAKE them listen. Good luck xx

:( Wish you guys could have as good experiences as I've had with my docs here. Most of them even take time to talk! I mean, TALK, not just about a 'sick' visit, but about things that are happening, research they have read, new developments in the medical field. I think the association I go to is probably the best in the region, though.

Wow, interesting, intelligent and caring doctors!

Wynne - Order me one! Send it over here

:lol:

:( Wish you guys could have as good experiences as I've had with my docs here. Most of them even take time to talk! I mean, TALK, not just about a 'sick' visit, but about things that are happening, research they have read, new developments in the medical field. I think the association I go to is probably the best in the region, though.

The guy was a nurse practitioner, we see a derm on our first appointment, thereafter its the nurses since Doctors don't do blood tests or urine samples. They are "too good" for that.

Since its on the NHS, its a free service for the british so we can't change who we get. I just wish they took more interest in me...see me as a person rather than just a patient with a problem that can be fixed with one wonder pill. It annoys the hell out of me.

Thanks again for your comforting words. It seems people on here are the only ones who understand...

Thank you for Acne.org

x