Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pi_gua

Cystic Acne Scars

I had cystic acne all over my forehead this past March and was given Tetracycline to subside it. 5 months later, I have horrible scars with purple-redish marks with dents. My derm prescribed me Differin gel a week ago but I don't think it'll do anything.

Has anyone healed well from having cystic acne? (like no more colored marks or dents). What were your methods? Did you have any procedures done?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

Well I have the same problem, but ALL over my cheeks and jawline. I have noticed that as the redness/purpleness has faded on some scars, the noticeability of the dents has improved a lot. They seem less sharp. But I still have some bad ones. They should get better with time. The Differin should help. I'm also on Differin. Retinoids help improve skin texture over time. I assume that although Differin is a synthetic retinoid, it also thickens the dermis just like tretinoin. I'm going to ask my derm next week to make sure. This is what will help with reducing the appearance of the dents. But it will take time to see a difference, probably 3-6 months.

I have. I used 2.5% benzoyl peroxide. It left a tiny tiny brown spot, it's hardly noticeable. But it only worked for that certain cyst. The others did not scar, but they became reddish.

Now, I use Mario Badescu's Buffering Lotion. It's better 'cause it heals the cyst faster and alleviates the redness. Pretty pricey, though.

yes, i had severe cystic acne, probably in the top 5 worst cases i've seen over the internet. My doc had given me doxycycline to use to clear it up (couldn't use accutane because i got a bad side effect from it) and after my face cleared i was left with really really really red areas on my cheeks and forhead along with some serious scarring. Don't worry about the redness because it will fade, just give it some time, guaranteed. i've had lasers to help reduce the redness and it's made it almost non existant. like i said don't worry about the redness because red spots can be cured with lasers, just focus on your scarring and save some money for some fraxel treatments. also, i was using differen given to me by my doc for about 6-8 months and when i stopped using it my face was a lot less red. just know that differen or retin-a is harsh on your skin and does irritate it even if you don't have any dryness or flakiness.

Differin is terrific for fighting acne. It will help your skin exfoliate, too. The exfolation that Differin causes can help minimize red marks (post inflammatory hyperpigmentation - these are not scars, but coloring) and true superficial scarring.

Differin and other topical retinoids can mitigate the appearance of even severe scarring over time. That's the key: it takes time. Unfortunately there is no quick fix for scarring, but Differin, when used as ordered and consistently, can help not only acne, but scarring as well.

I had cystic acne all over my forehead this past March and was given Tetracycline to subside it. 5 months later, I have horrible scars with purple-redish marks with dents. My derm prescribed me Differin gel a week ago but I don't think it'll do anything.

Has anyone healed well from having cystic acne? (like no more colored marks or dents). What were your methods? Did you have any procedures done?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.