Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acne_battle

Can soy worsen acne?

Ive been wondering about this. Since soy sauce is high in iodine, does that mean soy products can also cause breakouts?

Ive been wondering about this. Since soy sauce is high in iodine, does that mean soy products can also cause breakouts?

Yes - for soy sauce. It is very high in iodine, so if you use it a lot it may cause breakouts. With the soy sauce is it is really the salt that is the problem (soy sauce contains ALOT of salt. It is likely iodized salt that gets used in soy sauce)

As to soy products like Tofu, soy yogurts, etc. - it varies from product to product. Some have kelp in them, which is very high in iodine.

Yes - for soy sauce. It is very high in iodine, so if you use it a lot it may cause breakouts. With the soy sauce is it is really the salt that is the problem (soy sauce contains ALOT of salt. It is likely iodized salt that gets used in soy sauce)

As to soy products like Tofu, soy yogurts, etc. - it varies from product to product. Some have kelp in them, which is very high in iodine.

No I just checked and it doesnt contain either of those ingredients. However, its the only thing besides Dans cleanser, his bp, his moisturizer and basis for sensitive skin bar that has been different

No I just checked and it doesnt contain either of those ingredients. However, its the only thing besides Dans cleanser, his bp, his moisturizer and basis for sensitive skin bar that has been different

Unless you are allergic to soy, I don't see how the ice cream is a problem.

Have you been breaking out a lot more lately (apart from your skin irritation problem?). That sounds like a lot of "different" things that you have added in a short period of time - I guess any of them could be giving you problems. How long have you been using the moisturizer now?

Yes because of the phytoestrogen content too.

Excess estrogen blocks testosterone

receptors and DHT becomes dominant. Fatty

tissue is loaded with aromatase enzymes that

convert testosterone to estrogen. The best

approach to combat estrogen dominance in

both men and women is to exercise, improve

diet and take nutritional supplements that

decrease estrogen production

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:WW9WZ...lient=firefox-a

Yes because of the phytoestrogen content too.

Excess estrogen blocks testosterone

receptors and DHT becomes dominant. Fatty

tissue is loaded with aromatase enzymes that

convert testosterone to estrogen. The best

approach to combat estrogen dominance in

both men and women is to exercise, improve

diet and take nutritional supplements that

decrease estrogen production

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:WW9WZ...lient=firefox-a

More estrogen = DHT dominant = more acne. But for some, it's beneficial because they have too much test and too little estrogen, that is the only reason why I know that extra estrogen helps some.

But for me, anything containing estrogen gives me cystic acne and excessive white heads. It was soy milk before, it got worse slowly, then got excessively bad. Then flax seeds, first few days were okay, then it got bad, then really bad, then even worse than soy :(. Because flax has about 7x more phytoestrogen content than soy even. I can't remember the link I read that on so I cannot show you, but that's kind of it.

Check this out

Of the male and female acne patients 93 and 78%, respectively, were estrogen receptor-positive, and their levels were between 11 and 275 fmol/mg cytosol protein. On the other hand, 31 and 48%, respectively, of the male and female acne patients were androgen receptor-positive, and their receptor levels were between 35 and 213 fmol/mg cytosol protein.

PMID: 6448587 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I drink soy milk instead of milk? works for me. Just don't try to put any soy products on your skin. I tried making a face mask and forgot I didn't drink whole milk anymore so substituted a main ingredient with soy milk...broke out next day

awww man, this sucks. Im really addicted to this soy ice cream. I hope my face clears up soon. It really hurts!

awww man, this sucks. Im really addicted to this soy ice cream. I hope my face clears up soon. It really hurts!

Well I'd respond, but I'm afraid you'll rip my face off and chop me up into little pieces like you did NdnRomeo ^^above.

Do I need to fill out an application and have it approved before I'm allowed to respond?

As long as you aren't allergic to soy and don't eat lots of it, you should be fine. I am wondering if the moisturizer might be the problem? Its the newest thing in your regimen, and I did see a post under the regimen product section where someone said they thought it broke them out.

As long as you aren't allergic to soy and don't eat lots of it, you should be fine. I am wondering if the moisturizer might be the problem? Its the newest thing in your regimen, and I did see a post under the regimen product section where someone said they thought it broke them out.

Actually all the products in my regimen are new. I just started using Dans cleanser a week ago and I started using basis about two weeks ago

It requires lot of soy to have adverse effect from the phytoestrogens as studies show.

On normal people 1-2 servings of soy a day has no known adverse effect related to phytoestrogens or tannin or phytates. Predisposed individuals may have though problems even with low amonut and they include: people with thyroid issue, hypogonadal people, estrogen sensitive people.

Actually all the products in my regimen are new. I just started using Dans cleanser a week ago and I started using basis about two weeks ago

Oh, in the post above you said you have been using the moisturizer for 3 weeks. If you've only been using it for one week, then it may not be the problem.

Oh, in the post above you said you have been using the moisturizer for 3 weeks. If you've only been using it for one week, then it may not be the problem.

Yeah apparently it takes three weeks for a pimple to form. Do you agree with that Kim?

No it doesn't, how fast it forms depends on many factors. One of the most important being inflammation.

Soy on it's own is not likely to worsen acne unless maybe you have a specific intolerance to it.. as other people ave said it will be the other ingredients in Soy Sauce that are the problem.

Soya 'milk' is a decent alternative to nasty dairy milk which is well known to aggravate acne.

Soy on it's own is not likely to worsen acne unless maybe you have a specific intolerance to it.. as other people ave said it will be the other ingredients in Soy Sauce that are the problem.

Soya 'milk' is a decent alternative to nasty dairy milk which is well known to aggravate acne.

I went to trader joes once and bought soy milk. I had two sips of it but I couldnt drink anymore of it because the taste was just unbareable.