Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
myskinhatesme

I start next week **help**

I am a 16 year old and I have had moderate acne that has not gone away even after taking almost every medication in the book. I have also tryed expensive chemical peels and those did not work. I start taking accutane next week. I have moderate acne everywhere (face,back,chest) so basically this post is about what I should expect. I talked to people I know that have take accutane and they just raved about it. Then I came online just to check to see how fast it works and everyones posts scared the hell out of me.

No one told me I was going to be having bloody noses and sevear initial breakouts.

So can someone tell me what to honestly expect??

THANKS SOO MUCH

:surprised:

You can't really expect anything, because as anyone will tell you, everyone responds differently. Some get no initial breakout, some get a mild one, some get a bad one. I think things like bloody noses, hair loss, etc. are rare so I wouldn't worry about it. It really depends on a lot of things, like your dosage, length of treatment, severity of your acne and so on.

Don't get all stressed and anxious over starting it, instead think of how clear you'll be in 5 months! (or however long your treatment is) :dance:

I love Accutane! It's a miracle drug. Of course it has its side-effects, but any side-effect I've ever experienced from taking it was totally worth it.

A person who has the propensity towards getting bloody noses will most likely get some bloody noses while on Accutane. Those of us who rarely get nosebleeds (or never, like me) can experience some.

I got a few nosebleeds due to the lack of moisture inside my nose. Below is a quote from a post I made a little while back on how I dealt with the situation. I'm currently taking Accutane, and currently doing this method that I listed below. I have had NO Nosebleeds--not even one, not even a little bit--since doing this faithfully, twice a day. I rarely even use saline nasal sprays (Ayr) in addition--my nose just stays nice and moist most of the day due to the below method.

Please post if you decide to try this, and how it works for you.

dsal

Years ago, an Ear, Nose & Throat dr. recommended that I do a saline rinse ("Hypertonic Saline Rinse") for my nose to keep my sinuses draining well, and to help with allergies. I would only do this occasionally-to-rarely. When I had a sinus infection about a year ago, I began researching online what others did to help with sinus/nasal congestion. Several people recommended the "Grossan Hydro-Pulse". It's similar to a Water-Pik, only made for the nose. (I bought mine on Am*zon, and you can read reviews for it there.)

Even though it's meant to be used regularly, I used it when I had my sinus infection, and I think it helped. I used it a few other times when I felt congested, too, but didn't use it often.

I began yet another course of Accutane about 3 months ago. My nasal passages dried up, and I got a couple bloody noses. I called my dr., hoping that there was a product on the market that would moisturize the nasal passages, similar to what Restasis does for the eyes--and was surprised to hear that there isn't. My derm. recommended the saline nasal moisturizing drops like Ayr.

That's when it occured to me: Why not use the Hydro-Pulse to moisturize my nasal passages while on Accutane, even though I'm not actually congested?!

So I mixed up the solution. (You can buy the special powder to mix with distilled water from wherever you purchase the Hydro-pulse.) I did not use the full 2 cups--I only use 4 ounces (1/2 cup) per treatment/rinse. I use it to rinse each nostril out, morning and night. It's working wonderfully!!! It rinses out some--uh--dried secretions, and keeps my nostrils moist enough to keep them from drying out. I've been doing this faithfully for over a month now, twice a day. I HAVEN'T HAD A BLOODY NOSE SINCE USING THIS!!! Not kidding! My nostrils feel comfortable--not dry--and I'm finding that not only am I not getting bloody noses, but I'm not *worried* about potentially getting a bloody nose while out in public.

This has become my favorite Accutane survival tip!!!!

The unit is kind of expensive, but you can justify the cost: you can also use it for its intended purpose--to help sinus issues. And it comes with a couple nasal tips, so someone else in your household can use it, too, for their sinus issues. (i.e. I use it at the beginning of a cold to help keep my nose decongested.)

The rinsing procedure is a little tricky. Directions come with the unit, but through trial and error, I've found a method that works great. It's the same method that is in the directions, just tweaked a little to be more efficient, and a little more comfortable. (It doesn't hurt to do this--but it gives that strange feeling you get when you get water in your nose when you swim.)

If you or anyone else decides to buy this, I can go into the method in greater detail.

I cannot stress enough how this device has been an Accutane life-saver for me!!! It's been worth every penny. And if this thing breaks when I'm on Accutane, I will purchase another one immediately.

I'm not associated with this manufacturer in any way--just a very pleased customer!

dsal

for me the worst thing was not knowing what to expect, im about 3 months in and admittidly im feeling crap but before i began i was anxious about what the side effects would be like, but now i just have to deal with them. and each day you deal with them your another day closer to clear skin. at least thats what im hoping and telling my self.

not everybody experiences a abd initial breakout or lots of side effects you may be one of teh lucky ones, but if not its a means to an end.

good luck :D

If you wanna find out what you can expect, try reading a few logs in the accutane logs section. It's what I did before getting on accutane, and it gave me some comfort.

Hey there -

Yes, there are loads of posts on here and it can be scary to read some of the negative ones. Side effects do exist, but the common ones are dryness (eyes, face, lips, nose, body) and achiness/tiredness/moodiness. I was sooo scared to take Accutane for similar reasons - was scared about the side effects.

I'm in month four and the side effects I mentioned above exist but are mild. My acne flared a little when I started - the current acne on your face may form whiteheads again as sebum is being pushed out. My acne didn't worse after that - just has gotten better! My face is much clearer and smoother since mid-month two. I'm on low dose though(20mg day). What I recommend to you, is discuss taking a lower dose to start (like between 20-40mg depending on your weight) and seeing how you/your skin react. Lower dose at the beginning can stave off major IB (initial breakout). Also, if your skin is very sensitive or thin (mine is) make sure you don't go over the 1mg dosage per KG of weight - doing so may aggravate your skin and give you permanent flushing/burning. Having a good diet and exercise can stave off the tiredness, gentle cleansers and moisterisers are key, and being patient to see results.

Good luck in your decision. I'm happy I did it.

Yvette

im going through my initial breakout and its basically just like how my face usually was months prior (keep in mind I was on retin A, and that helped out my face abit)