Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
un4tunate

Derm thought i was on steroids lol

well i went to the derm couple days ago and he looked at my back and asked me "are you on steroids?" lol i got some bad body acne.

I also read threw the accutane guide and wow these sound scary.

possible side effects:

-permanent loss of eyesight

-in rare cases, DEATH

-Stroke

-Seizures

What's the chance of that happening??

Never heard of the death one, lol, but the chances of those happening (don't know if it said that in your accutane guide) are < 1%. It is not as bad as the guide or things you might read make it sound. Really. It gives you dry lips, dry skin, and rarely temp hair loss or maybe messing with your triglycerides. Don't worry, and good luck to you if you decide to go on Tane. :D

well i went to the derm couple days ago and he looked at my back and asked me "are you on steroids?" lol i got some bad body acne.

possible side effects:

-in rare cases, DEATH

-Stroke

-Seizures

Hey there -

You can search the internet for common side effects, but I'm on Tane and my side effects are mild. I was SCARED to take Accutane but shouldn't have been. I only wish I took it sooner - the results for me are amazing, clear smooth skin by mid-month two and I'm in month four now. Very minimal breakouts along the way. Anyway side effects for me have been: dryness (eyes, lips, and skin) but moisterisers and gentle cleansers work good. Your acne may flare or get worse the first few weeks, however, sometimes Derm's prescribe a lower dose the first month/two to minimize it. Talk to your Derm. beforehand - ask questions. Being gentle to your skin is a must as it's more fragile on Accutane. Also, I'm tired and a little moody - eating a good diet and exercise helps loads. When I'm moody, I just think how much my skin has improved! Watch your dose (don't go over 1mg per KG of weight as side effects can be more serious) and if you have any problems or things going on tell your Derm. Don't wait and "go with it" as it could be a serious problem and lowering your dose or stopping Accutane may be needed.

Good luck.

Yvette

this is what it says:

Serious brain problems. Isotretinoin can increase the pressure in your brain. This can lead to permanent loss of eyesight and, in rare cases, death.

Call you doctor if you get any signs of increased brain pressure:

-bad headache

-blurred vision

-Dizziness

-Nausea

-Seizures(convulsions)

-Stroke

Serious mental problems. Isotretinoin may cause Depression, Phychosis, Suicide.

I really don't think any of these things happen while you take accutane. It seems more like a way to make sure people don't sue the accutane company no matter what happens. Seriously, if anyone died taking accutane, my derm would have known about it and told me.

I really don't think any of these things happen while you take accutane. It seems more like a way to make sure people don't sue the accutane company no matter what happens. Seriously, if anyone died taking accutane, my derm would have known about it and told me.

Dude i understand you are trying to stop people from worrying, and rightly so because it is a relatively safe drug. But i can say first hand that alot of these things can happen... i responded very badly to the drug, i had increase cranial pressure, blurred vision etc i was lucky my vision has gone back to normal and the depression from the actual drug has gone. I'm just left with depression from scaring, hairloss, ulcers and other shit (none of which i had ANY sign of before tane)

As i said though i don't go round trying to put people off because accutane does have it's place... and is a RELATIVELY safe drug. Just because one person respondes well doesn't mean everyone does.

Dude i understand you are trying to stop people from worrying, and rightly so because it is a relatively safe drug. But i can say first hand that alot of these things can happen... i responded very badly to the drug, i had increase cranial pressure, blurred vision etc i was lucky my vision has gone back to normal and the depression from the actual drug has gone. I'm just left with depression from scaring, hairloss, ulcers and other shit (none of which i had ANY sign of before tane)

As i said though i don't go round trying to put people off because accutane does have it's place... and is a RELATIVELY safe drug. Just because one person respondes well doesn't mean everyone does.

So then none of the side-effects were permanent, and you were able to stop at any point? That still sounds like it's worth the risk, small as it may be.

I was just extremly unlucky. I was in what i would consider peak fitness, i drink probably 1-2 times a month and i workout 6 times a week 3 cardio/3day split on the weights, i eat very clean lots of fruit/veg and drink alot of water, i know how to look after myself. I weighed 220 pounds at about 10% bodyfat when i began my course, i am 6 ft 2 though...

I don't want to put you off as you will certainly not go through the shit i have but i mean it does happen that is all im saying... i thought the storys on the internet could NEVER happen to me but meh....

I always say to people if you have any other way of managing your acne and/or you can live with how it is now then i wouldn't recomend accutane...

only thing i took for a while, whilst on tane was vitamin e 400ui a day... i knew to stop everything whilst on tane...

Before tane yeah sure i took creatine of various varieties, but stopped well in advance of my course. I was totaly fine for the first 3-4 months aswell.

Ok, if you were taking Creatine, the derm should have advised you to stop taking it, and see what happens. Creatine can cause acne.

Dude seriously no offence i was on and off the stuff for years, my acne never changed through diet or supplements... i know alot about biology and the body. NOTHING i took changed my acne other than a few antibiotics which worked very short term. It was just moderate but extremly persistant.

I needed tane, i didn't do anything incorrectly and i did listen to my body, by the time the signs became evident it was to late...my hairloss didn't even start until after accutane (often typical of TE) so yeah i didn't have many signs until very late on by which time it was to late.

im starting accutane today and some of these posts are scaring me...

is everything back to normal now besides hair loss lamar?

No but don't let these posts scare you. People here are generally people who have had bad experiences, or atleast the people who hang around are. but no everything isn't back to normaly unfortunately. I still get constant mouth ulcers (canker sores) i flush alot and have also gained some broken capilaries on my face. None of these things are terrible (hairloss is quite bad though) but in combination it gets me pretty depressed as im sure you can understand!!

You could also count the additional scaring i picked up (never had any before tane) but that is because i also had a beard infection whilst on tane. All in all i was just as unlucky as you can be i think (i'm not trying to gain any sympathy here).

Don't let this scare you, i was just very unfortunate the drug is normally 100% fine for most people and the worst that can happen is your acne may come back!!

best of luck

possible side effects:

-in rare cases, DEATH

-Stroke

-Seizures

Hey all ...a little update... I've been on doxycyline and topical EVOCLIN FOAM for 4 days now and im fking clearing, im in tears. MY back is 90% more clear than 4 days ago and believe me it was severe, my whole back covered with bumps( hence the derm askin if i was on steroids or sumting)

when i applied the evoclin foam first time i thought this must be a joke but wow i was amazed. I tried duac,tazorac,differin,BP,tea tree oil, SA,neutrogena crap, H&S before this and evoclin beats them all combined.

Althought i've been on doxy 2 times before this and it didn't work but now its suprisingly working maybe because now im 22 now and back then i was 17 and it didnt work when i was 17.

i'm praying to god it continues to work. ill update in a week again.