Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MITYH

What is the regimen if you use a BP cleanser?

Hi all, I was just wondering what changes go into the regimen if I am using a BP cleanser/wash (6%) instead of topical BP?

My regimen:

Morning---> BP wash, wait 5 mins then moisturize

Night-->BP wash, wait 5 mins then moisturize

---If I don't use topical BP, will results take longer?

---How long should I leave the BP cleanser on before I wash it off?

---How long should I wait before moisturizing?

Topical BP washes don't leave much BP behind on your face. I think even if you leave it on for a couple of minutes, you're still not getting nearly as much BP in contact with your skin for an extended period of time as you would with a lower-strength leave-on treatment. It's not just that achieving results could take longer, but you might not achieve results at all beyond the redness and dryness associated with using a harsh cleanser, unless you have extremely mild inflammatory acne. I used to use the Proactiv face wash (2.5% BP, and I'd leave it on for a couple of minutes before rinsing off) and a thin layer of Proactiv lotion (also 2.5% BP, but leave-on). In the six months I did this, I saw absolutely no improvement in my moderate inflammatory acne, seriously, none at all. When I switched to using a non-medicated cleanser and larger amounts of a leave-on BP, my skin responded very well and fairly quickly, though. You really need to have a decent amount of BP be on your skin for an extended period of time to control acne effectively, and you just can't do that with a cleanser.

Topical BP washes don't leave much BP behind on your face. I think even if you leave it on for a couple of minutes, you're still not getting nearly as much BP in contact with your skin for an extended period of time as you would with a lower-strength leave-on treatment. It's not just that achieving results could take longer, but you might not achieve results at all beyond the redness and dryness associated with using a harsh cleanser, unless you have extremely mild inflammatory acne. I used to use the Proactiv face wash (2.5% BP, and I'd leave it on for a couple of minutes before rinsing off) and a thin layer of Proactiv lotion (also 2.5% BP, but leave-on). In the six months I did this, I saw absolutely no improvement in my moderate inflammatory acne, seriously, none at all. When I switched to using a non-medicated cleanser and larger amounts of a leave-on BP, my skin responded very well and fairly quickly, though. You really need to have a decent amount of BP be on your skin for an extended period of time to control acne effectively, and you just can't do that with a cleanser.

Even if it is a 6% BP cleanser? I have noticed my skin is better to an appreciable degree though I don't know if it is the zinc supplement I started or the BP wash. (Started both at the same time)

If the cleanser is working for you, then keep doing what you are doing. Its a lot easier then doing the full on regimen.