Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
set.to.music

My-just in time for school-Tretinoin log

I went to the doctor on Friday for a physical and asked her to prescribe me something for my acne. She prescribed Retin-A 0.025, and Mama picked up some generic Tretinoin cream today.

Of course, the initial breakout should begin in about two weeks. I go back to school in--you guessed it, just about two weeks. Oh joy! :rolleyes:

My regimen:

Morning:

Wash with Aqua Glycolic.

Apply BP 10%.

Moisturize with Wal-Mart brand imitation Cetaphil.

Bedtime:

Wash with Aqua Glycolic.

Apply pea sized amount of T-cream.

Moisturize?

Wish me luck!

Here goes:

WEEK 1

Day 1:

Skin condition: one deep and painful sucker--not much on the surface, but it feels pretty big and angry under the skin. Another baby inflamed one, a few whiteheads, and a mess of blackheads across my nose.

The cream went on pretty well, but my face turned sort of red. Weird, because it didn't sting or anything. My neck itches though. Odd.

Day 2:

Ahhhhhh! Huge break out. I got SIX new zits. I can't believe this happened. It can't be the Retin-A already, right? Maybe it's from coming off the BP at night, or because I ate ice cream yesterday (though I'm not sure whether dairy affects my acne).

I'm flaky too. Ugh. Maybe I'm having a really accelerated IB. That would actually be great, because I'd rather it hit me now than when I need to go back to school.

Day 3:

Tons of peeling and redness! And my face huuuuurts. I did a bad thing. I washed my face again (at 4:20) because my makeup looked horrible from all of the peeling, and applied aloe vera gel to try to alleviate the stinging. I may skip the T-cream tonight.

Day 4:

I caved and used the Tret. anyways. But I used it after I had moisturized, which I think made a huge difference. But I woke up this morning with a huge one between my nose and eyebrow. WTF, I never get them there.

Day 5:

I gave my face a break from everything.

Day 6:

Nothing's changed. Moisterizing before the Tret seems to help a lot to prevent peeling though. :)

Day 7:

YAY, end of Week 1. Also, magnified mirrors are awful. I saw a whitehead and decided to squeeze it. Well, I guess it wasn't ready and now it's irritated and inflamed...

WEEK 2:

Day 11:

So, my skin is getting worse, it seems. I guess I'll just have to wait it out. :(

Day 12:

Ick, and more ick. I know that IB using doesn't start until week three, but I'm hoping this might be the start of mine. The quicker it's over, the better. Oh, I'm so impatient.

I cannot believe that your doctor would want you starting out using this everyday. Usually they inform you to build up to it, or else your skin can dry out really badly or other bad reactions. Mine suggested when I started a Retin-A over a year ago that I start out using it every other day or every third day until my skin can handle the strong power and not over-dry, and then build up to using it every night. That is most likely why your skin started peeling. Just some information you might want to think about.

I cannot believe that your doctor would want you starting out using this everyday. Usually they inform you to build up to it, or else your skin can dry out really badly or other bad reactions. Mine suggested when I started a Retin-A over a year ago that I start out using it every other day or every third day until my skin can handle the strong power and not over-dry, and then build up to using it every night. That is most likely why your skin started peeling. Just some information you might want to think about.

lol i know i'm impatient too. well, yeah retin-a didn't work out for me. I was actually prescribed it after i finished accutane as something extra to help keep my face clear. my face was clear for about 9 months, and then i started breaking out again. i tried some more stuff, and now i'm finally doing laser treatments. but i hope you have good results with it! it definitely makes your skin feel amazing. :)

MONTH 2/WEEK 4:

Done with my first month! Though I've been a bit sporadic in my regimen. I've been sick and way overworked/busy, so applying Tretinoin has been of low priority relatively speaking, and I forget. And BP? Maybe every other morning? But regardless of all this, something seems to be working! I have a scattering of small comedomes--really just on the surface--of my cheeks, but other than that, not much at all. In fact, that's the only problem right now. And as far as I know, I didn't get an IB. Maybe a flare up of a few larger comedones, if that even counts.

I feel pretty good right now. :)

I didn't get an intial breakout either, and I was immediately able to use it everyday.. I never got any irritation... and it worked.. but they switched me to differin.. O_O?